Best in Genre

Blod Draum said:
yeah, the wording fucked itself up, but i was hoping no one would notice.

what i meant was: "Wow, how many bands does it take for anyone to realize that the bands themselves are actually doing something with their lives, instead of being a passive consumer glutton like BMT?

I think you dont even mean anything period.

crimsonfloyd said:
Yeah cuz King Crimson is sooooo MTV friendly...

Well, :err: discipline era mabye is, whatever. I doubt that Menhir has heard them before....

As for BMT, If you weren't so agressive about it, like asked about the differences instead of argued that there was none, you probably would get it and have avoided all of that confromtation. try this http://translate.google.com/transla...rev=/search?q=wehrmut&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=G and if that doesn't work, look up wehrmut on google and click on "translate this page". You will find four 30 second samples of many genres, including doom and funeral doom, so you can compare side by side and determine the differences for yourself.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
No its not you fucking dicksucker, funeral doom? seriously are you fucking kidding. Why do you have to make up genres for small differences in music. The difference between doom and funeral doom isn't as big as the difference a black metal and hard rock, so stop acting like such a know it all and shut your fucking mouth. Wow, almost 100 bands making funeral doom, thats nice, how many bands make death metal, or black metal, or powere metal, a lot more than 100. So funeral doom is not a big deal.

There's a pretty fucking huge difference between, say, Candlemass and Khanate, despite them both being doom. Is the difference bigger than the difference between black metal and hard rock? No. Is it bigger than the differences between some established genres, say, melodic black metal compared to melodic death metal (not the trendy kind)? Yeah, actually. Stick to what you know; meathead metal with dead faggot guitarists ^_^

There is a lot of different doom bands. You can't lump them all together so I personally don't mind sub-genre's in doom. It makes me cringe having to lump say Khanate(no offense to fans, they suck) with amazing bands like Cathedral,Solitude Aeturnus.

See BMT, even the Greys knows you're wrong.

TylerTheNuke said:
Well, :err: discipline era mabye is, whatever. I doubt that Menhir has heard them before....

I was being sarcastic. Although I think you're right in the sense that there were a few videos for some of the songs from the Discipline era albums, and they were probably played on MTV at some point...

BlackMetalTyrant said:
No its not you fucking dicksucker, funeral doom? seriously are you fucking kidding. Why do you have to make up genres for small differences in music.

The differences are huge, the term "doom" just happened to cover two very different styles of music at two different times. I'd love if you tried to tell me there was "small differences" between Saint Vitus and Skepticism.

Black: Dimmu Borgir
Death: Edge Of Sanity
Doom: Virgin Black
Folk: Ensiferum
Gothic: Within Temptation
Heavy: Black Label Society
Melodic Death: In Flames / Dark Tranquility
Progressive: Opeth
Viking: Moonsorrow
Viking Death: Amon Amarth

- SMiM

The Greys said:
There is a lot of different doom bands. You can't lump them all together so I personally don't mind sub-genre's in doom. It makes me cringe having to lump say Khanate(no offense to fans, they suck) with amazing bands like Cathedral,Solitude Aeturnus.
True. I would go so far as to say that bands like Trouble and bands like Mourning Beloveth shouldn't even be grouped into the same genre, because they are so different. I must say, that I think that the monicer "doom metal" fits truly gloomy extreme doom bands better than it fits bluesy, upbeat "stoner" bands Trouble and Kyuss.

Heavy Metal: Dream Evil
Doom Metal: Black Sabbath
Power Metal: ?
Speed Metal: Norther
Thrash Metal: The Haunted?
Death Metal: Bloodbath
Black Metal: Behemoth
Industrial: The Berzerker
Folk: Wintersun