• The Great Cold Distance

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
Vote for one, nuckas!

I've been giving LFDGD a lot of spins lately, so it's hard for me to choose between that and TGCD, but since I have to choose one, I choose TGCD since that was the first Katatonia album I really enjoyed.

Brave Murder Day wins, top 3 albums ever imo. Saddest album I have heard.
I have never understood the thing with LFDGD, in the Katatonia forum it was voted their best album, I think it's their worst. :p

Parts of BMD are boring imo. I'm actually glad Katatonia went the route they did, otherwise the majority of their disocgraphy would have been boring.

BMD doesn't make me want to cut myself. TGCD does.

I couldn't tell you the exact portions of the songs, but some parts I feel drag on. I have a few death/doom albums and I'm not yet into them for some reason (this includes diSEMBOWELMENT). No Katatonia album has hit me like TGCD did. That disc is just a fucking monster. Katatonia should be bigger than they are.

I am the other way around, I love the repetitiveness. Though when I started listening to Katatonia I came from black metal so it's kinda natural.

I am the other way around, I love the repetitiveness. Though when I started listening to Katatonia I came from black metal so it's kinda natural.

Well, that's fine. I enjoy black metal too, but I went backwards through Katatonia's catalog rather than forwards.

I'll give it another spin in the next few days and give you my true opinion on it. It's been a few weeks since I've listened to it. The track 'Day' is pretty good though.

I got DoDS recently. I heard it was absolutely amazing but I just can't get into it :(.

Is BMD significantly different enough to give this band another shot?

I would have went with Brave Murder Day awile back and now with The Great Cold Distance. I have not heard all of Tonight's Decision or LFDGD so who knows really.

Dance, undoubtedly.

They never could achieve such magnificence in doom after that.

I have seen someone say Katatonia is like The Cure meets alternative rock/metal. I can't really recall what The Cure sounds like. I think anders gives the band that edge still which is why the band is dark retaining metal influences.

Apart from having depressing sounding music they really do not sound anything like The Cure. And The Cure has quite a lot of more upbeat songs as well which is something Katatonia has never done.