Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Viva Emptiness

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • The Great Cold Distance

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
But Coldplay? Surely you're not THAT blind (deaf?) outside of metal.
I actually find that the vocals DO sound similar sometimes, parcitularly on Last Fair Deal Gone Down. But no, they do not reseble them all around. Musically, later Katatonia is alternative/indie/shoegraze, albeit of a darker nature than most bands representative of the genre.

I'm somewhere in the middle road when it comes to Katatonia. I love their earlier stuff, but I think there are other bands who do it better. I agree that BMD gets a bit repetitive. When they moved to a dark rock sound, I think they took a long time to really gain control and confidence of their sound. Viva Emptiness and LFDGD have their moments but just don't quite work. I think they really nailed it with TGCD so that gets my vote.

I've never heard any Katatonia. However, I really like the song "Brave" in the form of a cover by Apostolum. Assuming the original is similar, is the whole album like that?

The entire album has a pretty similar vibe to the first track (though I have not heard that cover so I have no idea how different it is). Apart from the track Day which is a bit different (that's the only track on which Jonas sings on the album and infact the first time he uses his clean vocals, the rest of the album has the vocals handled by Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth).

I recommend you check that album out. If you end up liking it, For Funerals to Come and Sounds of Decay are two EPs that are stylistically similar. The rest of Katatonia's discography is pretty different from those (with earlier stuff being more doomy and later stuff being more rock oriented with clean vocals).

Also anyone into that era of Katatonia needs to check out the first release by October Tide called Rain Without End. It's a Katatonia sideproject (featuring Jonas Renkse and Fredrik Norrman) and is a pretty excellent piece of melodic doom similar in style to BMD (but not quite the same).

I have only heard "of" the band, but you guys have me curious so I checked out their MySpace. Cool stuff. This song "Dissolving Bonds" is cool. It's a bit Alternative Rock sounding, but I like it.

BMD. In case nobody has mentioned this already, there is a band called "Rapture" that has released three albums with the nearly exact same sound as BMD; but with even better composition IMO. They have been accused of "stealing" the style it is so similar; but it just happens that they developed it that way. My favorite doom band to be sure.

BMD. In case nobody has mentioned this already, there is a band called "Rapture" that has released three albums with the nearly exact same sound as BMD; but with even better composition IMO. They have been accused of "stealing" the style it is so similar; but it just happens that they developed it that way. My favorite doom band to be sure.

Checked a few songs out... this is a excellent recommendation for someone who really likes the BMD style (such as myself). Thanks.

What's the best out of their three albums, would you say? At the moment, it seems most prefer Futile.