Best Metal Bands

Lord Ash

New Metal Member
Feb 14, 2006
I am certainly not new to metal. I possess every demo ever recorded by Metallica going back to the Ron McGoveny days. I own every demo pantera put forth prior to Cowboys from Hell. I have had every In Flames album since Whoracle no later than 3 weeks prior to release. I had knowledge of Slipknot 2 years prior to the first release when they were a 5 piece and possessed seemingly more talent. (Joey excluded). I own one 350 CD case full of gems in which I know only of few that possses them as well. My collection is 3 plus cases deep.

My problem and my reason for being at this board is that I like In Flames and I am always longing to hear new music that would give me the addrelin rush I got when I first heard Master of Puppets. The first time I heard Jester Race .
You see I am an American, and while that great(patriotic blahh blahh blahh) American radio blows ass.

I used to have a radio station where I could bask in Guns N Roses, Old Tallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath. Where my ears were to my pleasure assulted by the greatest in what was new in metal. Now its all bullshit, power chords, halfass punk, and bubblegum punk. I have no outlet to that music anymore. So if you can be of assistance to me in finding the greatest , guitar harmonizing , double bass kicking , screaming blow you a way metal than by all means please help.

Currently I am listening to All that Remains, Beyond the Embrace, Trivium(which someone here told me sucks ass?) In Flames, Metallica,
Please list the 3 best bands you know of in death metal,melodic death,metal core etc. And list why I would should add them to my list
Thanks

nevermore are currently the best metal band on the planet. this is true because jeff loomis is the best metal guitarist with his solos, songwriting skills and great, emotional playing. Warrel Dane has incredible vocals that deliver an emotional impact in both delivery and lyrical content, and van williams and jim sheppard have one of the best rythm sections in history.

their songs are just fucking awesome...cant even explain how good, just give them a shot.

devin townsend - anything by this man, that he has ever done..literally, anything. all his albums are just mindblowing. the layering in the music, the vocals, the melodies, just the overall feel of all his albums is beyond description. nevermore might be my favorite band but devin townsend is, has been and probably always will be my favorite musician. he writes the most emotionally engaging music i have ever heard. try anything from the albums Ocean Machine, Infinity or Terria.

Arsis - Maybe a surprise to some people on here, but the melodeath genre has been brought back to life by one man, yes one man, from Virginia. Two albums, A Celebration of Guilt, and A Diamond for Disease. The music is melodic, brutal as all hell, full of awesome riffs and sick, screeching vocals. The music has been described as "AJFA era Metallica mixed with Carcass" and I think it's a good description. Without hesitation check this out because you wont be disappointed.

I just posted this in the other thread but I'll do it here too:

CHeck out these bands ASAP

Norther - Kind of like Children of Bodom but not changing their style for American fans.

Kalmah - Slays Children of Bodom and Norther (Still considered the same kind of sound)

Arch Enemy - Like In Flames but a lot more talent and better vocalists.

Dark Tranquility - Slays In Flames and Arch Enemy.

Hypocrisy (DEFINITELY CHECK OUT) - Slays the previous 3 bands I said. lyrics are mostly about aliens/abductions and conspiracies.(Death metal)

Nightwish - Absolutely beautiful operatic power metal. Amazing vocalist.

Sonata Arctica - Great power metal, you'll be singing along in no time

Ensiferum - Awesome viking metal

Equilibrium - Kinda viking/power metal, kicks ass too. I've been listening to them a lot lately.

Amon Amarth - great viking/death metal

Strapping Young Lad - cannot explain this band. Quite possibly the heaviest band on earth. It fucking kicks ass. Devin Townsend is a mastermind of insanity.

I can't really say what order to check them out at because they are all absolutely amazing and soon you will forget In Flames even existed.

you can't go wrong with good oyld deicide...not exactly the most technical band in the world but they kik ass when it comes 2 fastness and heavyness and glen benton kicks ass on vocals. yea, thats all i have that hasn't been mentioned. ps)whoever told you that trivium sucks is a wise man.

i second nevermore, dark tranquillity http://www.myspace.com/dtofficial, dimension zero, hypocrisy.

since you like slipknot (which i dislike, but think could be called mainstream "death metal"), you'd probably also like, if you don't know of them, shadows fall and damageplan.

if you like the last few in flames albums, particularly songs like "leeches," you'll like the last few soilwork albums (stabbing the drama, figure number five, natural born chaos). if you like good melodic death metal with killer guitarwork, you'll like the first few soilwork albums (steelbath suicide, chainheart machine).

something you have to have if you're serious about metal is death/control denied. death was melodic, technical, and intelligent. control denied was the same band, but with the addition of a singer in the style of nevermore (warrell dane turned down the gig because of touring with nevermore), hammerfall, judas priest. http://www.emptywords.org/downloads.htm

doomy stuff:

katatonia--clean vocals, very sad stuff that's just awesome. http://www.myspace.com/katatonia
daylight dies--sort of katatonia but with death metal vocals. http://www.myspace.com/daylightdies

thrash:

the haunted--think slayer mixed with at the gates
defaced--old megadeth style stuff with harsher vocals
darkane--same as above

metalcore/hardcore:

heaven shall burn --melodic and heavy. like in flames, but more hardcorish and political http://www.heavenshallburn.com/download.php

between the buried and me -- a really weird band, mixes all sorts of styles. one second it's brutal death metal, the next it's really soft jazzy stuff, the next it's something quite beautiful and melodic, with everything in between, all in the space of one song. it's also very technical stuff. http://betweentheburiedandme.com/alaska/media.php

Today's best metal acts for my taste are:

BLOODBATH (old school Death Metal)
THE HAUNTED (Melodic Thrash metal)
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD (As "The Bringer" said - Heaviest Metal)

At a push I'd call Slipknot Death Metal, it's definetly metal, slightly too precise to be Metalcore, not really heavy enought to be death metal or tuneful enough for melodic death metal. It's just metal, plain and simple.

Thank you all for your help. Does anyone have any Dimension Zero,Dark Tranquility or katatonia,
daylight dies,Lost Horizon. I have only been able to find small samples of the first two and that was about a year ago. I have gone to several music store and haven't been able to find them. If anyone could email or link me to a torrent of any of these I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again

I am a fan of in flames. Also nice bands are Dark tranquillity, At the gates and Of course Death (R.I.P. Chuck).

I am a fan of in flames. Also nice bands are Dark tranquillity, At the gates and Of course Death (R.I.P. Chuck).

-Rivfader- said:
Stupid ass people out here think Slipknot is death metal dude, it's hilarious.

I started this post. Maybe it was a bad idea to bring Slipknot up here. I dont even like Slipknot. My only reason for mentioning them was that I had a cassette demo of them as a five piece almost 2 years prior to there first official release and the demo showed far more talent that they have shown since. Slipknot is NuMetal thats all and NuMetal blows.

PS.
Thanks again to those of you who have posted some bands for me to check out. I had heard Dimension Zero and Dark Tranquility before. When I first got into InFlames but I never bought any albums Now I think I must. Also this Daylight Dies kicks some serious ass.

I have also had time to check out Lost horizon. Great music however the vocals??. I understand theyre clean and I can understand everything he says but it remains my of Getty from Rush. That has always been my one issue with dream theater the vocal seems just wrong. I don't know.

Also started listening to Nevermore. I am really starting to enjoy that as well. I haven't really had much of an opportunity to listen to much else yet but thanks to everyone .

Powers said:
At a push I'd call Slipknot Death Metal, it's definetly metal, slightly too precise to be Metalcore, not really heavy enought to be death metal or tuneful enough for melodic death metal. It's just metal, plain and simple.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Listen to Deicide, Bloodbath, Grave, early Hypocrisy, early Celtic Frost... HELL EVEN SIX FEET UNDER and tell me Slipknot sounds ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

I don't know where anyone gets the fucking idea that slipknot mentioned like that.....

*complete idiot* "Duhhh... at a push I'd call Slipknot death metal and Deicide metalcore."