Best of 2011

Verbum Lux

Aug 7, 2011
www.last.fm
I typed this up to post on last.fm and thought it might be fun to have a thread like it here. Post your favorite albums from 2011. I did a top ten list, but use whatever format suits you.

Oh, and this isn't just for metal either.

Here goes......

10. Iron Savior – The Landing

TheLanding.jpg

Man, this thing rocks. A great album of straight-up metal with a classic feel to it. Even when it turns cheesy (Heavy Metal Never Dies and R.U. Ready), the songs are saved by fun lyrics and cool guitar. I have got to get more stuff by this band.

Best Song: March of Doom

9. Miss FD – Love Never Dies

LoveNeverDies.jpg

Miss FD's website describes her music as "gothic electro-industrial synthpop," and I guess that's as good a way as any to label this albun. Dark and capitivating, yet catchy at the same time. If you like electronic music, you should really give Love Never Dies a shot.

Best Song: Moment of Fade

8. Dragonland – Under The Grey Banner

UnderTheGreyBanner.jpg

Listening to this album has revived my interest in fantasy metal. It's grand, epic.....yet never becomes too over-the-top or cheesy. That's no easy trick to pull off with this kind of music, but Dragonland does it masterfully.

Best Song: Fire and Brimstone

7. Icon For Hire – Scripted

Scripted.jpg

Scripted is one of the stronger debut albums I've heard. Top notch alt rock with electronic touches – slick but with a bit of an edge to it. An all around good band, but the big draw is the singer, Ariel. Awesome vocalist, awesome songwriter. The lyrics really struck a chord with me – I really identified with a lot of what I heard here.

Best Song: Get Well

6. Leaves' Eyes – Meredread

Meredread.jpg

Leaves' Eyes forth album finds them pushing the folk elements a lot more this time around, with excellent results. Liv Kristine is as spectacular as ever, and the guest vocalists they brought in work well here. The duet between Liv and her sister Carmen Elise of Midnattsol in particular is not to be missed. It's not their best work (that would be Vinland Saga), but it's an outstanding work of symphonic metal nonetheless.

Best Song: Spirits' Masquerade

5. Becoming The Archetype – Celestial Completion

CelestialCompletion.jpg

Celestial Completion is a work of art that is both intense and beautiful – progressive death metal at it's finest. Very well written too – I love the imagery in the lyrics here. I really like the direction the band is going here and I hope they continue with it.

Best Song: Breathing Light

4. Bloodstain Child – Epsilon

Epsilon.jpg

Epsilon is insane – in the best possible way! It's far from a typical metal album. This is a blend of trance and melodic death metal that can go from pop to harsh in an instant without being off-putting. It also features a particularly awesome combination of clean female and harsh male vocals.

Best Song: LA+

3. Alestorm – Back Through Time

BackThroughTime.jpg

"You put your faith in Odin and Thor, we put ours in cannons and whores! Your Viking gods won't save you now, when the pirates strike from the starboard bow!" Back Through Time isn't the best metal album ever, but it's becoming my all time favorite in terms of sheer fun. While it does little that Captain Morgan's Revenge and Black Sails at Midnight didn't do before it, it easily surpasses them in quality. It may be "scraping the barrel," but it sure is great!

2. Eowyn – Beautiful Ashes

BeautifulAshes.jpg

An easy choice for spot number two. Ewoyn (yes, that's her real name. Isn't it cool?) delivers one of the most emotionally powerful works that I've had the pleasure of listening to. The music and lyrics are strong throughout, but what really pulls me in are the vocals. She has a truly amazing voice and really puts her heart into what she sings.

Best Song: Beautiful Ashes

And now for numero uno.....

Get ready for it.......

Brace yourself......

Are you sitting down?

1. Theocracy – As The World Bleeds

AsTheWorldBleeds.jpg

GASP OH WOW WHAT A SHOCK WHAT A COMPLETE AND TOTAL SURPRISE THIS MUST BE YOU NEVER SAW THIS COMING DID YOU SO VERY SURPRISING

Um...anyway.....

I don't recall ever anticipating an album this eagerly, and I was not dissapointed. Theocracy stepped up their game in every way and delivered their best work to date. As The World Bleeds is everything a great power metal album should be and then some. Maybe even my favorite album ever. I'll refrain from going on and on about it and post a full review at a later date. :)

Best Song: The Gift of Music.

Honorable Mention:

Symphony X – Iconoclast

Iconoclast.jpg

I feel almost guilty for not putting a Symphony X release in the top ten list, but I just can't do it. I enjoyed Iconoclast, and there are some excellent songs on it, but the inonsistancy and lack of variety are undeniable. However, even if it's not up to the standards I've come to expect from these guys, it's still a good album and is definitely worth buying.

Biggest Letdown:

Turisas – Stand Up And Fight

StandUpAndFight.jpg

It pains me to write this because I love their previous work so much. Battle Metal and The Varangian Way were powerful albums that blew me away from the first listen. Turisas had a gift for transporting the listener to another place and time, placing them amidst great battles and epic journies. Stand Up And Fight feels flat and lifeless by comparison. I wouldn't say it's a bad album – in fact, I probably would have liked it a good bit more if I hadn't heard its predecessors – but it doesn't do a lot for me.

I'll play along!
Rank. Arist - Album
Artwork
Favorite Song

10. Journey - Eclipse
Journey-Eclipse.jpg

City of Hope

9. Symphony X - Iconoclast
SymphonyX_Iconoclast_cover.jpg

The End of Innocence

8. Iced Earth - Dystopia
Albumdystopiacover.jpg

V and The Anguish of Youth

7. Mayan - Quarterpast
mayan.quarterpast.jpg

Drown the Demon

6. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Am I the Enemy
File:Am_I_the_Enemy.jpg

Reap and Where are the Heroes

5. Red - Until We Have Faces
File:Until_We_Have_Faces_Coverart.jpg

Lie to Me (Denial)

4. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
File:DTOE_DT.jpg

Outcry

3. Rhapsody of Fire - From Chaos to Eternity
File:From_Chaos_to_Eternity_(Rhapsody_of_Fire)_album_cover.jpg

Heroes of the Waterfalls' Kingdom

2. Nightwish - Imaginaerum
File:Nightwish_imaginaerum_cover.jpg

The Crow, The Owl, and the Dove and Last Ride of the Day

1. Theocracy - As the World Bleeds
search

As the World Bleeds

Theocracy
Oh, Sleeper
Become The Archetype

There ya go. Oh and I feel the need to mention that I am not pleased with where BTA is going. First an album that's not nearly as good as their others and a bit too core-y. Now they lost Jason Wisdom (who did a lot of writing if I recall correctly) and their new line-up isn't looking up to be that great. My only hope is that Seth takes control of the band (considering he's the only member that's actually been in the band longer than 2 years) and turns it into something completely different from Celestial Completion. Oh yeah, and Daniel's high vocals on CC are pretty sweet and those have given me a little hope. I think that's the end of my rant.

Theocracy
Oh, Sleeper
Become The Archetype

There ya go. Oh and I feel the need to mention that I am not pleased with where BTA is going. First an album that's not nearly as good as their others and a bit too core-y. Now they lost Jason Wisdom (who did a lot of writing if I recall correctly) and their new line-up isn't looking up to be that great. My only hope is that Seth takes control of the band (considering he's the only member that's actually been in the band longer than 2 years) and turns it into something completely different from Celestial Completion. Oh yeah, and Daniel's high vocals on CC are pretty sweet and those have given me a little hope. I think that's the end of my rant.

Hmmm.....I wasn't thinking about them losing those members when I wrote that, just the direction the music itself took on Celestial Completion. Very good point though - that is worrying. Just have to wait and see I guess.

8. Iced Earth - Dystopia

This is one album I haven't listened to yet that I probably should. And Imaginaerum, I suppose, but I've gone off Nightwish lately and probably wouldn't give it a fair shake, so I'm going to hold off on that one for a while. Also, it hasn't been released here in the U.S. yet and I'm not going to import it.

I actually like BTA and their latest album, even though I'm not particularly fond of their genre. The only let-down was their second album, but thankfully they didn't go through that path in the albums that followed.

Am I the only person who feels like Dystopia is dumbed-down in terms of technicality? The execution is top notch, but it sounds like the album lacks many things, including innovation.

Symphony X is one of my favourite bands, if not my favourite, but I do not like the direction they are going. I liked the Odyssey, but was disappointed by Paradise Lost... Iconoclast follows the heaviness of Paradise Lost, but improves on it. The riffs are outstanding, but I kindly miss their older, less heavy style.

As for Nightwish, I think it is ironic that the best songs on the album are the ones which depart from their actual style the most :p It feels like their music has gone stale and does not fit Annette. Songs like Slow, Love, Slow and Scaretale are amazing and fit her voice so well, but... they don't sound like Nightwish! I hope the new albums will follow the direction of these songs, rather than boring songs like Storytime.

10th - Stratovarius - Elysium
9th - Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
8th - Mastodon - The Hunter
7th - Textures - Dualism
6th - Becoming the Archetype - Celestial Completion
5th - 3 - The Ghost you gave to me
4th - Novembers Doom - Aphotic
3rd - Opeth - Heritage
2nd - Obscura - Omnivium
1st - Theocracy - As the world bleeds

Letdowns:

Evergrey - Glorious collision

This is going to be another hard thread to post. Gah.

11.Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
10.Symphony X - Iconoclast
9.DivineFire - Eye Of the Storm
8.August Burns Red - Leveler
7.While Heaven Wept - Fear Of Infinity
6.Becoming the Archetype- Celestial Completion
5.Iced Earth - Dystopia
4. Memphis May Fire - The Hollow
3.Sonata Arctica - Live In Finland
2.Amaranthe - Self Titled
1.Theocracy - As The World Bleeds

* I havent put Nightwish because I got it in the mail today! Wazaaam!

Honorable Mention:
Woe, Is Me - Numbers
Red - Until We Have Faces
Turisas - Stand Up and Fight
Alestorm - Back Through Time

Letdown List:
5.Opeth - Heritage
4.Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life
3.Sons of Seasons- Magnisphyricon
2.ICS Vortex - Storm Seeker
1. Mastodon - The Hunter

Edit:
Non- Metal:
Lecrae - Rehab (The Overdose)
Britney Spears- Femme Fatale (sorry, I'm married)

Holy Boxershorts thats a lot of albums... and I left a lot off!

Cynic is one of my favorite bands but I haven't heard that album because I recently (maybe temporarily) stopped listening to secular music (for my own personal reasons.) But listening to that track, it sounds awesome as usual.

5.) Endgame- Rise Against
4.) Decas- As I lay Dying (the electronic remixed songs actually grew on me with the exception of one)
3.) Arrows and Anchors- Fair to Midland
2.) Reckless and Relentless- Asking Alexandria
1.) As The World Bleed- Theocracy

I love these kind of threads. That Blood Stain Child is dope! I normaly don't like the scream type stuff too much, but it's balanced out real good with that lady in there. Ima have to buy that CD.

I only made it down to Iced Earth in FleshandBloodTheocracy post so far. Didn't know Journey came out with a new album with that singer, their stuff is good! Ima have to check out the rest later. Thanks to all who posted their fav's so far.

@Labarum Yea that Lecrae's Overdose is what's up! You should check out Jin's new stuff from 2010 and up (he changed up from his old ways since then), look up "True Religion" and that'll get you to his new stuff. And Bizzle if you aint heard of him yet. He got a whole lot of songs out. So look up "Delivered" and that'll lead you to most of his stuff in the related vids.

While I got a TON of music this year. There wasn't very much from 2011. Regardless, I have enough to make a comprehensible list.

1. Celestial Completion by Becoming the Archetype

I love this album to death (heh, see what I did there?). I've listened to the entire album 55 times with most of the songs hitting over 65 complete plays. The Requiem Aeternam trio are some of the best work BtA's ever put out. While their experimental "flares" were seemingly disconnected, I still really enjoy them. They can go from border-line black metal into a powerful (although slightly dissonant) operatic section without as much as a change in pace. So awesome.

2. As the World Bleeds by Theocracy

This album was above and beyond my expectations. I was worried it would not stand up to Mirror of Souls, only to be (thankfully) proven wrong. Theocracy was one of the catalysts that got me interested into Christian Metal again as well as Power Metal. I'm forever grateful. Lyrically, this album proves that the gospel can be delivered in a powerfully intelligent manner. You guys rock.

3. Dissimulation by Hope for the Dying

While I've only had this album for a couple of weeks, it is already one of my favorite metalcore albums of all time (just short of An Ocean Between Us by As I Lay Dying). These guys jump the rails that has become the dreadful norm and prove that there is still something fresh to be found within the vast world of metalcore. The symphonic elements only make me love this album more.

4. Weightless by Animals As Leaders

I discovered these guys on Pandora, and I immediately loved the soundscapes these guys created. Their intricate, futuristic (at least, I think so), and extremely technical. I was afraid Weightless could never measure up to their s/t and even more afraid that I'd lose interest. I was happily proven wrong. AAL know exactly what their doing, and continue to plough on with their heads held high.

5. Empty Hands and Heavy Hearts by Close Your Eyes

I was really looking forward to this album. The bleak title of the album really had me interested considering their last album was called We Will Overcome. However, there is a strong message of hope found within these 12 songs that really leaves me breathless. The music shows a maturity and a tighter punch compared to their debut album. The last song left me on the edge of tears as it ended, the thought of an incredible power one can lean on called Jehovah that is brought out in this album...just wow.

6. Until We Have Faces by Red

The first time I heard Red, I was absolutely floored. I had no notion of metal at the time, and Red was the hardest thing I listened to. After getting into metal, my interest in Red died. And I was fine leaving it buried. And then I heard a couple of songs off Until We Have Faces due to the incessant nagging of a friend. My interest was rekindled and I quickly grabbed their second album. Then I got Until We Have Faces, and I couldn't be happier. It had the same qualities as their first record, that was missing on the second. At the same time, it pushes their sound forward (albeit in a more mainstream direction) and really builds upon what these guys have learned over the years.

7. Emergency by The Ember Days

Unfortunately I had no idea of this album's creation until after its release. Ruined all of the fun of waiting. Regardless, I eagerly downloaded this and could not be more pleased. They have that same Explosions in the Sky intensity even though the music is on the soft side. This band has been such a relief to listen to, especially during "hard" days. I count them up there with Keith Green on my favorite worship groups of all time.

8. A Dramatic Turn of Events by Dream Theater

I can't say this is my favorite DT album, or even close. But that is not really due to a lack of anything on their part. They've just set the bar so high for themselves that it's very hard to surpass it. Thus, this goes on my "top" list. This album is fantastic. There is so much progressive "meat" here to digest that it's overwhelming. Mike Mangini is a fantastic replacement on drums, and has earned his spot in DT.

9. S/T by Holding Onto Hope

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Holding Onto Hope was working on a new album. I was even more surprised to learn that they had a new vocalist. Now that I've had the chance to sit back and compare both albums, I am glad for the change. While the old vocalist did a very good job, he never sat too well with me. The new vocalist is perfect for HOH and their s/t proves it. It is such a major step above their previous album, I'm not sure I can go back. Overall, I'm very pleased and I look forward to more material from these guys.

I'm going to have to give that Red a listen since I keep seeing people recommend it.

I love these kind of threads. That Blood Stain Child is dope! I normaly don't like the scream type stuff too much, but it's balanced out real good with that lady in there. Ima have to buy that CD.

Glad to hear you like it. I could almost make it my #3. Unfortunately, their previous albums don't feature female vocals. I understand that some of their fans were not pleased with the addition, but I think she's great.

EDIT: I just read that Until We Have Faces is John Petrucci's favorite album of 2011. One more reason to check it out.