Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S.V.E.S.T.

• Malign

• Other

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
You're officially stupid, since you can't tell that Tetragrammatical Astygmata and Advent Parallax have much more in common with Immolation and NYDM from a compositional standpoint than they do the Swedish blasturbation that you're accusing them of copying, regardless of who produced the albums.

There's not only no Satanism, lame vocal effects, prayers, overuse of monotonous blasting, or any of the other Swedish clichés, but I don't recall any of those Swedish bands using dissonant, dynamic NYDM riffs and extremely technical playing styles. They also weren't recorded at Necromorbus Studio anyway. Necromorbus came to the US to work with the band because he was interested in their previous output.
To be fair, despite the dissonant chord voicings, most Averse Sefira isn't particularly difficult to play (although they have their moments; that sweep in "A Shower of Idols" is beyond ridiculous, as is a fair amount of "Viral Kinesis"), and certainly not as hard as Immolation of Suffocation.

Not to say that they aren't an absolutely fantastic band, of course.

That's perfectly fine, since I don't remember saying that they were as complex as either of those bands, but rather that they obviously draw a heavy influence from that style but use it in the framework of aggressive modern black metal.

Deathspell Omega is the ultimate kvlt kiddies band!

Shaxul in his splendour:

pic62.jpg

Habemus metal? haha

yeah, shaxul is really relevant to the orthodox segments of deathspell omega's discography, which are what's being discussed here. very quality post.

Can someone give me a brief primer on this whole orthodox trend? I like some of the music, but I am not fully versed in the ideas that motivate it. If I were to judge it in my ignorance, I understand it as some sort of Satan worship as such, and not the typical Satanist position of using Lucifer/Satan merely as a symbol of defiance, but as an actual deity. Am I close at all?

It's simply the logical progression of Black Metal ideology from the 1st-wave's tongue-in-cheek Satanism, to the 2nd-wave's antichristian nihilism, to the 3rd-wave's adoption of theistic Satanism as integral to understanding their artistry. In other words, they take things too seriously, but I see it corresponding with high quality music courtesy of DSO, Watain, Behexen and others.

That being the definition of the recent trend, and not the music-based orthodoxy championed by Countess.

It's simply the logical progression of Black Metal ideology from the 1st-wave's tongue-in-cheek Satanism, to the 2nd-wave's antichristian nihilism, to the 3rd-wave's adoption of theistic Satanism as integral to understanding their artistry. In other words, they take things too seriously, but I see it corresponding with high quality music courtesy of DSO, Watain, Behexen and others.

That being the definition of the recent trend, and not the music-based orthodoxy championed by Countess.

Its interesting how you label it a logical progression from the 2nd Wave, when Wolves in the Throne Room's guitarist claims that a logical progression from the 2nd wave is into radical leftist ecopolitics.

Thanks for answering my question though.

Do you actually fucking think Faggots in the Faggot Room are in any position to describe what would be a logical progression from one thing to another other than the progression of their fathers touching them at night to them being faggots?

Yeah uh...WITTR aren't exactly beacons of expressive intelligence in black metal, nor are they very relevant to orthodox black metal.

Do you actually fucking think Faggots in the Faggot Room are in any position to describe what would be a logical progression from one thing to another other than the progression of their fathers touching them at night to them being faggots?

I think he makes a good case for the ideology of his band.
Anti-religion Nihilism, as Zeph characterizes the 2nd Wave, can lead to a variety of outcomes (or logical progressions), many of them likely opposed to one another.

This is one of your best posts.

As much as I like the other bands listed, I have to go with Deathspell Omega. Apparently they are also winning this poll, which isn't entirely surprising.