Black Metal Recommendations-Beyond the Obvious

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
I need Burzum, Mayhem's DMDS, more Darkthrone, etc., But I already know that. What I want to focus on here is more underground stuff.

Anything that compares to bands like Deathspell Omega, Leviathan, Azrael, etc.

I have Bergthron, Xasthur etc. already and I also have a few bands such as Watain on my list.

Compile some bands here for future reference, and for when I have more cash. :D

Graveland
Graveland
Graveland
Dawn (if you like Dissection)
Enslaved
Geasa
Graveland
Grand Belial's Key
Helheim
Graveland
Hate Forest
Immortal
Iuvenes
Megiddo
Kristallnacht
Nachtfalke
Morrigan
Aeternus (blackened death metal AKA Dark Metal)
Ondskapt
Sacrilegium
Sigh
Graveland
Temnozor'
Woodtemple
Weakling
Graveland

Reactions: immo
I've had Battlefields for quite some time, very good stuff and sitting in my Top 5 of the year.

Describe Woodtemple a little bit, I'm rather interested in them. A lot of the stuff like Graveland, Grand Belial's Key, Nachtfalke, etc. is already on my list and I have a few of the bands, namely Immortal, Aeternus and of course Hate Forest, although I'm looking into getting the rest of their discography.

Deathspell Omega
Watain
Ondskapt
Malign
Katharsis
Funeral Mist
Temple of Baal
Antaeus
Blodsrit
Svartsyn
Triumphator
Armagedda
Sargeist

Opeth17 said:
Describe Woodtemple a little bit, I'm rather interested in them. A lot of the stuff like Graveland, Grand Belial's Key, Nachtfalke, etc. is already on my list and I have a few of the bands, namely Immortal, Aeternus and of course Hate Forest, although I'm looking into getting the rest of their discography.
Woodtemple is very Graveland-ish. Epic keyboards, mid-paced songs, etc.

When it comes to Aeternus, only Dark Sorcery, Beyond the Wandering moon, and And So the Night Became are essential.

Nachtfalke is very impressive, and I've heard if you like Nachtfalke, then Moonblood is essential, however everything from Moonblood is only on very limited vinyl, unless you want bootlegs.

I'd defnitely check into Morrigan. Epic blackened thrashy awesomeness. Very Bathory-esque.

Ondskapt is scary, indeed.

Graveland - Thousand Swords
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
Graveland - The Fire of Awakening
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Moonblood - all (especially Blut und Krieg)
Summoning - all (especially Dol Guldur)
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
The Shadow Order - Raise the Banners
Wolfnacht - Heidentum
Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necrometal
Nagelfar - Srontgorrth
Nokturnal Mortum - NeChrist
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
Astrofaes - Ancestor's Shadows
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Myrddraal - Blood on the Mountain
Mordaehoth - Bloedwraak
Shatargat - Wolfe Der Nacht
Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Nehemah - Light of a Dead Star
Mutiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood

Nice to see Necromantia in that list, Guardian. A nice mix between NWOBHM and black metal. From... Greece? Actually that whole list is pretty damn good. I still don't see the appeal of that Beherit, though. Hell, I don't think it's even BM... more like "twisted as fuck dark evil" metal. Or something.

Why does everyone like Dol Guldur so much? I've always preferred Minas Morgul the most, with Stronghold and Nightshade Forests coming after.

Most of the bands that I'd like to recommend have already been recommended by others. But there is one release that is absolutely mandatory if you're into incredibly atmospheric, keys-laden (not in a cheesy way, but in teh GOOD WAY) mid-tempo, somber black metal - GEHENNA - SEEN THROUGH THE VEIL OF DARKNESS (SECOND SPELL).

Get it, you will not be disappointed.