Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Silencer - Death, Pierce Me
Mjolnir - Hinweg uber die Tore der Zeit
Forest Stream - Tears of Mortal Solitude
Nortt - Gudsforladt

Malignance said:
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun

why am i the only one who thinks since this came out a year after storm of the lights bane and sounds exactly like dissection its a ripoff? everyone else seems to think this owns dissection even though if there was no dissection this obviously wouldn't exist? i mean even the vocals are pretty much the same for fucks sake!

MasterOLightning said:
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var (most accessible Burzum album)

What the fuck? Aside from the st/Aske, it's pretty much the harshest and darkest. If any Burzum is totally accessible, it'd have to be either Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Filosofem, and my money is on Filosofem.

MasterOLightning said:
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var (most accessible Burzum album)

How is this Burzum's most accessible album? I would say Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is his most accessible, closely followed by Filosofem.

Are you guys serious? Songs like Key to the Gate and Lost Wisdom are so accessible. Plus, the songs are all shorter, and thus a bit easier to grasp. The production is more clear and doesn't have the fuzziness of later works. Admittedly, I haven't heard the S/T or Aske, so I can't comment on those, but I definitely consider DSEV a better starting point for Burzum than HLTO or Filosofem.

Nah, that fuzziness of the later works is definitely a softener on the ears. The harsh guitar tone on Det Som isn't easy to digest and neither are the obscure melodies or disharmonic stuff (yup). Key to the Gate, great as it may be, would be rather hard to grasp for someone completely new to the genre, and the whole album lacks much of the organic flow of later works.

It's by far my favourite Burzum album though. Just not the best starting point.

I understand your points. I still think song length is a major factor in getting an album to click. The fact that the album doesn't quite flow almost makes it easier to get. The songs flow so well on HLTO that they sort of run together and I have a hard time placing riffs within songs, which is sad considering how few there are (I haven't listened to it nearly enough yet.)

I must say, when I first heard Det Som... I didn't get anything from it whereas the first time I heard Hvis... I eargasmed all over the walls. Then again, I was into Opeth beforehand so song lengths certainly weren't a factor. Still, I think Det Som is certainly a more warped album with less hooks and more muted production.

Enemy242 said:
why am i the only one who thinks since this came out a year after storm of the lights bane and sounds exactly like dissection its a ripoff? everyone else seems to think this owns dissection even though if there was no dissection this obviously wouldn't exist? i mean even the vocals are pretty much the same for fucks sake!

It's absolutely nothing like Dissection in any way other than its general style (at a push). Please stay at SOT2 in the future thanks.

Moon of Amber said:
I must say, when I first heard Det Som... I didn't get anything from it whereas the first time I heard Hvis... I eargasmed all over the walls. Then again, I was into Opeth beforehand so song lengths certainly weren't a factor. Still, I think Det Som is certainly a more warped album with less hooks and more muted production.

Oddly enough, even coming from the same background as you (Opeth fanboydom), I found Det Som to be utter genius from the first or second listen, yet to this date I've never been able to get into Hvis Lyset.

*shrugs noisily*

Ive said this before, If Varg never killed anyone or burned a church no one would claim to like Burzum. Shitty Vocals, Sloppy Guitar Playing, all mixed together with shitty recording.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
Ive said this before, If Varg never killed anyone or burned a church no one would claim to like Burzum. Shitty Vocals, Sloppy Guitar Playing, all mixed together with shitty recording.

Or maybe we enjoy the music? I look past the image of anybody and look to the music. It is good BM, and set the standard for most bands.