Black Metal.

Favorite genre by far
Gontyna Kry, Hate forest, Negura Bunget, Deathspell Omega, Vlad Tepes, Mutiilation, Bathory, Burzum, Grand Belial's Key, Darkthrone, Emperor, Mayhem, Graveland, Stiny Plamenu, Beherit, etc.

I have yet to get into black metal. I gave it a go not long ago, asked for recommendations and went and listened to a bunch of samples, and the only stuff I really dug was Mayhem. I'm sure I'll get into it one day.

I'm saddened that you didn't remember about Dawn!! :erk:
i DID remember, and i wanted to put them in the list too, but then I thought that it's gonna be kind of hypocrisy to say that its one of my fave bands when I've heard only 2 songs by them. I'm pretty sure the rest of their stuff is awesome though. And I'm going to get it.

I love some black metal not all, some bands I really like:

Infernal War
Frozen Shadows
Satanic Warmaster
Forgotten Tomb
Abyssic Hate

and of course I love the classics albums from bands like Burzum, Darkthrone, Emperor, Mayhem and Enslaved.

Yeah, huge fan. I like countless bands, but these stand out: Ildjarn, Beherit, Graveland, Mütiilation, Belketre, Throne of Ahaz, early Gorgoroth, Sacramentum, Mock, Obtained Enslavement, Falkenbach, Sorhin, Sacrilegium, Mortuary Drape, early Immortal, Burzum, Abigor, Nav', Hail, Deathspell Omega, Dark Tribe etc..

Never heard Throne Of Ahaz...what would you compare them to?

By the way, your taste is nigh-impeccable as well...though I'm not an Ildjarn or Sort Vokter fan...

I'm a fan...I tend to like the harsher bands like Revenge, Black Witchery, Beherit, Conqueror and such

but I also like Darkthrone, Immortal, 1349, Gorgoroth, Emperor and the like.

don't forget Sarcofago, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and Bathory of course

I have yet to get into black metal. I gave it a go not long ago, asked for recommendations and went and listened to a bunch of samples, and the only stuff I really dug was Mayhem. I'm sure I'll get into it one day.

It's sad to know that there are people out there who have not explored black metal. It is, by far, one of the most fulfilling metal genres. Perhaps you should try again.

I like a lot of black metal bands. But there are also a lot of bedroom black metal bands that I don't like. I've been listening to a lot of Darkthrone lately. I'm reallly digging melodic dm at the moment:
Sacramentum
Vinterland
Dawn
Negator
Aeternus
Forgotten Tomb
Legion of Darkness

Never heard Throne Of Ahaz...what would you compare them to?

By the way, your taste is nigh-impeccable as well...though I'm not an Ildjarn or Sort Vokter fan...

Cheers.

Throne of Ahaz is early Swedish black metal, with some melodic similarities to Dissection, although far more minimalist and generally mid-paced. I'd compare Nifelheim to early Gorgoroth, even though it was recorded an entire year before Gorgoroth's debut. ANUS approves (to my surprise), and there's some samples at their site, check it out.

Throne of Ahaz is early Swedish black metal, with some melodic similarities to Dissection, although far more minimalist and generally mid-paced. I'd compare Nifelheim to early Gorgoroth, even though it was recorded an entire year before Gorgoroth's debut. ANUS approves (to my surprise), and there's some samples at their site, check it out.

Sounds great, thanks!

As I've been saying lately, the new Peste Noire is very nice. I like the new Spleen better than the demo one, as well...

Anyone else like it?!

Sounds great, thanks!

As I've been saying lately, the new Peste Noire is very nice. I like the new Spleen better than the demo one, as well...

Anyone else like it?!

I think its excellent as is much of the French black metal scene.

Personally though, I think "The Insignificance of Life" by German black metal band Anti is the best black metal album of 2006 - I strongly recommend it. And though Dornenreich is no longer exactly black metal, "Durch Den Traum" in my opinion is the album of the year - an album that will most likely appeal to black metal fans, or people who like music with great atmosphere and feeling. There's also a number of great black metal albums I've given mention to in the Albums of 2006 thread

First sub genre of extreme metal that i explored and has always been my favourite.

I've been listening to a lot of Dissection lately, but also Arckanum, Svartsyn, late Darkthrone, Beherit, Funeral Mist, Jotunspor, Mörk Gryning, Taake etc.

ONE of my many favourite bands would be Watain though.