Black Metal.

However, I saw Dark Funeral mentioned on a few posts. I never understood the draw there...nothing respectable about them.
They're probably the only black metal band I've heard thus far that I actually can't stand the vocals of. The music is quite boring as well.

Wow, I'm listening - for the first time - to the original release of Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse instead of the remaster and I can honestly say that the album is so much better this way so far.

How does it compare? I have the remaster, I believe.

I realized that pretty quickly, Alter.

But really, how can you disagree with this?

33755.jpg

and Ceremonial Castings.

Ah, thats one band I was going to mention, great band!

@Nightfall,
Particular albums? Try Gehenna - 'Seen Through Veils of Darkness', Ceremonial Castings - 'Immortal Black Art', Opera IX - 'Sacra Culto' or 'Call of the Wood', Kataxu - 'Hunger of Elements'. And if you enjoy that abigor release you mentioned, try 'Supreme Immortal Art' its a step up in production and chockfull of symphonic elements..

Speaking of emperor, Ceremonial does a cool cover of 'I am the Black Wizards' you can hear it on their myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/ceremonialcastings

I must confess to enjoying a few Dark Funeral songs although the only thing I really like by them is the outro to 'Final Ritual'. >_>

Wow, I'm listening - for the first time - to the original release of Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse instead of the remaster and I can honestly say that the album is so much better this way so far.

Was this remastered twice? I know it was for the '99 reissue (the one I own), but I wasn't sure if they did again for that later pressing that came in the slipcase, so I was wondering if you meant that '99 pressing or the actual original version, which I don't believe I've heard.

I thought The Somberlain had a little too much filler. Still a great album but I prefer Storm of the Light's Bane.

Indeed, SoTLB is much more consistent in quality. But both albums are masterpieces.

I listened to the new Xasthur last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it was than I was led to believe. I noticed the production wasn't as consistent song to song but most of the time it was perfect and really gave me that transcendent feeling I expect from Xasthur. A major criticism would be the album's length. There was a good deal of fat that could have been trimmed off this otherwise delectable serving of USBM.

I like Dark Funeral's style of riffing, those tremolo'd power chords, the progressions really sound good up and down the fretboard, Secrets of The Black Arts was a bit more varied though.

Was this remastered twice? I know it was for the '99 reissue (the one I own), but I wasn't sure if they did again for that later pressing that came in the slipcase, so I was wondering if you meant that '99 pressing or the actual original version, which I don't believe I've heard.

I think it was only remastered once. So yeah, the actual original version.

Well, it appears Gaahl and King got the rights to Gorgoroth, which is bullshit. And yes, dark funeral suck.