Black Metal

Progression is one thing, forgetting what a type of music is about is an entirely different matter. Many of the bands in the US black metal scene wear corpse paint because they know it adds significance to their music. Black metal is a very emotional and atmospheric experience. Many bands today (most of which do not wear corpse paint) go out to create music that is "bad ass" and "the sickest" music around. Those bands forget the meanings behind black metal and it shows that many black metal scenes did not survive, but were instead replaced by scenes that lacked the ideals of the true bands.

i love black metal and don't mind if it's true or new as long as it sounds good to me.. but personally i enjoy Darkthrone, Mayhem, Satyricon, Immortal, Abruptum, Burzum, Astarte, Ulver etc etc

though i think the corpse paint, the forests, the trolls, the spikes, etc are a part of it (i like the aesthetic part in a band too), it's not ALL of it.. so what bothers me about BM is that people who like to play "the evil one" without listening to the music.... or when they say if it's not about satan it can't be BM

to me, Burzum was never satanic, but the same people who say that put Grishnack in an altar just because the myth... which shows they have no idea...
i don't agree with the satanic lyrics 'cause i don't believe in satan...

i think i broke every single rule of Black Metal 101, anyway.. so i shouldn't be saying anything.... :D

oh except "Don't be Dani Filth"... breaking that one can't be too hard 'cause he sure looks like a woman hehe :lol:

Originally posted by veil the sky

Everyone, I'm sure laughed themselves silly when they saw those pics inside 'At the heart of Winter.'

I did:D
As i watched them for the first time in a music store i had to laugh that hard, that everyone was looking at me and asking themselves if i was crazy

Originally posted by leadfoot256

:bah: ;) I love Dark Throne and I enjoy the atmosphere the production along with the music creates

:) i think that's the whole idea of the bad production... if it sounded good it wouldn't be Darkthrone

like Ulver's Nattens Madrigal.. for some people ot sounds awful 'cause it was recorded in a forest but i love how it sounds :D

Darkthrone has a great production. If everything would sound clear in any of the Darkthrone record I'd call that bad production since it doesn't fit into the music.

I will never understand this...there is so much i can and want to explore in music without even using alternate tunnings or any class of post production effects, to me the admosphere thing is a weird means of expression and honestly it seems more like the admosphere is just there to add to the black metal image, everything in black metal just seems to desperately focus on the image, the sound the production the actual appearance of the band members, i think i do not need to say that music that seeks an image is not very positive and i doubt is music at all, black metal could then become a very elaborate graphic art on the other hand that is a really different approach. But i doubt anyone would consider my input at all.

Here's a thesis : troo blackmetaloids are the same as punks, but without a sense of humour.

But then, you have the tongue-in-cheek people like Hank Amarillo (aka Fenriz) who has been able to construct a great big elaborate joke and extend it for 5 years or so - just read the interviews of different periods to see the clues ! Amazing patience !

D Mullholand

Originally posted by astarte
like Ulver's Nattens Madrigal.. for some people ot sounds awful 'cause it was recorded in a forest but i love how it sounds :D

I think it wasn't recorded in a forest. So my friend told me. Fine joke though. It has become a pretty highly appreciated album...

I think Fenriz is just throwing that stuff around to fool people. I think they were dead serious about it back then.

It was just a rumor that Nattens Madrigal was recorded in a forest. Actually Century Media gave Garm lots of cash expecting them to make another acoustic album like Kveldssanger. Instead Garm and gang recorded it at their friend's garage with a measely expenses.