Bloodbath covers

The only real obstacle for developing the voice is the pitch and depths. I've also had more of a powerful in your face growl than a deep one, hence I'm most suited for classic Death Metal. I'll prolly never be able to the ultra brutal styles. I've always had a high pitched side to my voice, so the shrieking ain't a problem

Have you guys tried a vocal course or anything related to vocal training? Do you know if it helps at all?

I have absolutely no formal training myself... Just practice and learning what I can and cannot do. If I try a new style and after 30 minutes it either hurts, or it makes me unable to sing clean (as a test) or my voice sounds weird I don't do it anymore or I'll start sounding like Chris Barnes and have no diversity. You jsut need to find what you're good at. I agree with Tumn when he said not everyone can growl. I have known many people that understand it but cannot do it. Many MANY people are not meant to be vocalists.

I say this because I picked it up out of the blue. I knew how to do the growl technique naturally and used an easier sound to master (black metal for me) and pushed lower from there. I've been listening to metal since I was about 14 but never tried to sing until I two years ago and although I've improved since then, I picked it up instantly without help... Other people never learn it. Although The shit I posted here sounded pretty fucked since it's not really my style I normally get people in bands fighting over me.

I still believe people can develop with the right motivation. I sucked ass at growling and didn't learn the technique in a powerful way until after three years. It's all about finding comfortable pitches.
As for regular singing, it's a whole different deal since it's so much more about having a distinct tone and character on your voice. I've got problems with regular singing in terms of staying on course with the melody, but I got the support and voice character down

I still believe people can develop with the right motivation. I sucked ass at growling and didn't learn the technique in a powerful way until after three years. It's all about finding comfortable pitches.
As for regular singing, it's a whole different deal since it's so much more about having a distinct tone and character on your voice. I've got problems with regular singing in terms of staying on course with the melody, but I got the support and voice character down

I agree, as a vocalist myself I feel that almost anyone can develop a decent, recordable growl if they're willing to put a good three months effort into it to break their voice in. Obviously some people are much better than others because of natural talent, but all in all I think anyone can learn to growl. Clean singing on the other hand is very subjective and even with formal training, some people just can't be taught. They have a hard time producing consistent pitch; good singers can do it from the start.

I agree, as a vocalist myself I feel that almost anyone can develop a decent, recordable growl if they're willing to put a good three months effort into it to break their voice in. Obviously some people are much better than others because of natural talent, but all in all I think anyone can learn to growl. Clean singing on the other hand is very subjective and even with formal training, some people just can't be taught. They have a hard time producing consistent pitch; good singers can do it from the start.

Yeah, some people have instant access to growling since they've got deeper voice etc. I believe the performance of good growling is more about sheer physical ability while clean singing is much more about conveying emotion.

Yeah, some people have instant access to growling since they've got deeper voice etc. I believe the performance of good growling is more about sheer physical ability while clean singing is much more about conveying emotion.

Haha, my speaking voice is fairly high actually:p
I'll blame my being a class clown all my younger years for my ability to now make weird noises and voices.

Haha, my speaking voice is fairly high actually:p
I'll blame my being a class clown all my younger years for my ability to now make weird noises and voices.

hahaha, it's actually a similar thing for me. I believe I've developed my voice much earlier since I've always been able to weird-ass screams and sounds without it hurting my voice. And that's kinda like growling technique

If you get a chance Stefan head over the the "how to properly growl" thread and on the last page I have a brave new hell cover post. I was a little inebriated and it was only one take but I'm just checking out people opinions. I got a complaint they were hard to hear but I think that was just the system they were on since it's loud as hell on my headphones.

Your mucous?? That's not a real growl then man. You need to use the permanent growl not the "I just drank a gallon of milk and I feel great" method that lasts for a few minutes at the most at low volume:p

my normal growls i just use my spit...and they come out just fine
though with my mucus they sound way more brutal

papa roach lyrics are ok if you sing them the right way
and that would be brutally growling the lyrics and not going all poser numetal
changing the melody and tempo a bit

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT
SUFFOCATION NO BEATHING...

ok it wouldn't hurt to change some of the lyrics

Haha. No paradoxile no... You got the wrong idea. Tumn was calling ME "Papa Roach" because of a weird joke he has going about my previous display pic. He wasn't refering to your vocal method. Although that too is fucked.

Spit and Mucous are NOT how to accomplish a growl at all. If you want to play a 30 minute or hour set (or beyond) you can't rely on spit and mucous. Although the mucous effect (vibration) is essentially the effect you are looking for, you need to learn how to do it from your regular voice/throat/gut...

When I growl I really try to use my throat as little as possible, I "raise" the vobrarion from my throat to my mouth.

Send the power from your gut, just open your throat as much as you can and then "shape" the growl in your mouth.