books???

Yeah, that Twilight hype reminds me a little of the Harry Potter mania a couple of years back. When I heard of the series for the first time I wasn't really impressed and/or tempted to read them but now Twilight is just like everywhere. Friends are discussing the books in my presence and I am like "wtf?" :D Never really been into vampire stories either although I more or less accidently read one just recently (a swedish book, Låt den rätte komma in) and it didn't exactly support the idea to read more vampire novels. Not sure how long I can resist the pressure around me though ;)

The last books I read were Liza Marklunds Gömda and Asyl (no idea about the English titles - the books are based on the true story of a family that is being threated by the former fiancé) and yet another book by Torey Hayden, Sheila. I suspect I should look for the originals rather than the German translations which probably aren't exactly great - or I just don't like her style :) The stories are quite interesting though. Hayden is a psychologist/teacher and writes about her work with disturbed and/or disabled children.

Not sure which book is next in line....there are enough lying around :)

Yeah, that Twilight hype reminds me a little of the Harry Potter mania a couple of years back. When I heard of the series for the first time I wasn't really impressed and/or tempted to read them but now Twilight is just like everywhere. Friends are discussing the books in my presence and I am like "wtf?" :D Never really been into vampire stories either although I more or less accidently read one just recently (a swedish book, Låt den rätte komma in) and it didn't exactly support the idea to read more vampire novels. Not sure how long I can resist the pressure around me though ;)

i've read it some time ago, i suppose two or three years ago, before this mania-thing. a friend of mine give it me as a present. nothing special i should say, it can be read easily 'cause it's written easily (yes for teenage girls) but the view of the vampire is totally broken and destroyed.
he can walk under the sunlight! he shines as he is covered of diamond's powder under the sunlight :lol::lol::lol: please noooooo :zombie:
as for modern writers about vampires i prefer anne rice, 1000 times more :)

Whoa, I forgot about this thread!

I've been reading a lot lately to Baudelaire (The Flowers of evil, The artificial paradises and a bunch of poems/reflections), some Rimbaud, Poe, Lovecraft and S. King's 'Cell' ...good book for not being among my fav writers. The final is good.

Currently reading Goethe's Faust.

ed: Yesterday I found an "used"-book store, so I bought some at ridiculous prices (Faust mint = 2 euro, The Flowers of Evil mint = 1,5 euro)

Oh, the Twiight books are horrible. And, they're set in Forks, Washington, USA. Which is spitting distance from Seattle, so all the tourist shops here are selling massive amounts of Twilight stuff upon the fans. There's even Twilight 'tours', that drive you up to Forks, WA to look around.

Now, Forks is so small that I imagine that it makes Skellefteå look like a megaopolis in comparison. These tours probably last about 5 minutes. "So. This is Forks. Welcome to...yeah, there's nothing here. Let's head back to Seattle." We are even getting a multi day Twilight cruise that disembarks from Seattle. I really wonder if the author has even been to Forks, because there's really nothing there - except now there's vampires. Who sparkle.

In my book world, I have a delightful little soups and stews cookbook, from Madrid, published in Spanish. I don't know Spanish. So, it's been an adventure with Google Translate for me! :lol: (It's worth it, however, as some of the recipes look really good.)

^ Faust is excellent, though I admit having a bit of a hard time with the 2nd part :p.

And I finally finished Anna Karenina! I have to say that this is one of the best books I've ever read, and should be read by anyone who has the time hehe (it was ca.791 pages long).

Now reading William Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell".

Ahh shame on you, isn't Faust obligatory to read in any German highschool? Shouldn't it be? Actually, are there any "mandatory" readings in highschool? Or does it depend on the region?

I've always wanted to read Faust in German, but my level doesn't allow that yet :p .

Ahh shame on you, isn't Faust obligatory to read in any German highschool? Shouldn't it be? Actually, are there any "mandatory" readings in highschool? Or does it depend on the region?

I've always wanted to read Faust in German, but my level doesn't allow that yet :p .

Not really. Goethe is kind of obligatory so we read "Die Leiden des jungen Werther(s)" and "Iphigenie auf Tauris" and plenty of poems, especially the Sturm und Drang ones. The other course read "Faust" but we didn't :/

We've never read anything of Schiller, either. Don't know, why. Maybe the teachers were tired of it, hehe :rofl:

What seems to be mandatory seems to be "Emilia Galotti" by Lessing and any novel by Theodor Fontane. But Fontane is so damn boring. Boredom as a stylistic device, I suppose... ;) "Irrungen, Wirrungen", "Effi Briest" and "Frau Jenny Treibel" should be the most popular ones. And also the poem "Die Brück' am Tay". His poems are okay, though.

And if "Faust" was obligatory it would be so only on the "Oberstufe" of the "Gymnasium". You'd never ever read it on a "Hauptschule". At least I couldn't imagine ^^' Well, the trinomial school system... it sucks!

Just finished reading Katarina Mazetti´s "blandat blod" (mixed blood), which was hilarious.
Now reading Anna Sparre´s "Kung Märthas döttrar" (King Martha´s daughters) - histories situated in the Swedish middle-age.

Not really. Goethe is kind of obligatory so we read "Die Leiden des jungen Werther(s)" and "Iphigenie auf Tauris" and plenty of poems, especially the Sturm und Drang ones. The other course read "Faust" but we didn't :/

We've never read anything of Schiller, either. Don't know, why. Maybe the teachers were tired of it, hehe :rofl:

What seems to be mandatory seems to be "Emilia Galotti" by Lessing and any novel by Theodor Fontane. But Fontane is so damn boring. Boredom as a stylistic device, I suppose... ;) "Irrungen, Wirrungen", "Effi Briest" and "Frau Jenny Treibel" should be the most popular ones. And also the poem "Die Brück' am Tay". His poems are okay, though.

And if "Faust" was obligatory it would be so only on the "Oberstufe" of the "Gymnasium". You'd never ever read it on a "Hauptschule". At least I couldn't imagine ^^' Well, the trinomial school system... it sucks!

OK, for me it's very interesting to know which readings are mandatory in each country. Here we have "Cocorí", "The Little Prince", "Don Quijote", "Viaje al Reino de los Deseos" (by Rafael Ángel Herra, a CRn author, this is one of the best books I've ever read) and many more. Most Costa Rican authors are pretty good, you should check them out.

Just finished reading Katarina Mazetti´s "blandat blod" (mixed blood), which was hilarious.
Now reading Anna Sparre´s "Kung Märthas döttrar" (King Martha´s daughters) - histories situated in the Swedish middle-age.

These books look very interesting, I'll check them out :). I couldn't find anything on Amazon of Anna Sparre in English :(.