books???

Since I have only been as I am for a short time,I have yet to actually really get into the Gothic literatures & such.I have however begun to read Ann Rice's passionate & well written vampire chronicles as well as having begun to vainly hope I shall find Nietche in a public library system.If any kind souls could enlighten me to some good books(excellent books perhaps?)I would be forever appreciattive.

The_Veral_Child said:
Since I have only been as I am for a short time,I have yet to actually really get into the Gothic literatures & such.I have however begun to read Ann Rice's passionate & well written vampire chronicles as well as having begun to vainly hope I shall find Nietshe in a public library system.If anyone would like to critic the first sentence,I used to be a bloody freak,beleiving myself to be an intellectuall merely because I read a lot.Such ugly & dull books like those of tom clancy & weapons catalogs...So if any kind souls could enlighten me to some good books(excellent books perhaps?)I would be forever appreciattive.

hehe well if you haven't read stephen king's "the stand" you should, i was a bit sceptical at first but it was actually really really good. and if you like fantasy the runelords-series by david farland is highly recomended, at least by myself ;)

Child of Time said:
Underdog is great! :hotjump: Did you read it in Swedish, Melancholia? And aren't you from Greece? :guh: If so, then you must be very good at languages, because I can hardly read a book in English (which I've been teached in ten years now), and definitely not in any other language...

Now Reading: "Gentlemen" by Klas Östergren. In Swedish, but really great too.
I've recently read "Stupid white men, and other sorry excuses for the state of the nation" by Michael Moore also.
Yup, I read Underdog in swedish :) wonderful book!!! I'd love to read it again in a couple of years or sth... I'm greek, but swedish is one of my superfavourite languages, so i've read and still read a lot in swedish.. Now it feels like reading in greek, fast and easy :Spin: You can try reading something easy in english in the beginning and then more difficult stuff..

I also want to read "Stupid white men"...is it good???

Currently reading: "Artemis Fowl" of Eoin Colfer (in English)...it's for kids, but so far i like it :oops: :D

Yes, "Stupid white men..." are a good one, but nothing compared to Underdog or Gentlemen as I mentioned. I don't know how you get Swedish litterature in Greece (I wouldn't be able to find Greek litterature in Sweden), but if you somehow stumbles over Gentlemen, get it!

During the winter it's difficult if not impossible to get swedish stuff here...But during the summer in Athens and in some touristic islands (Poros, Kreta, Rhodos etc) you can find newspapers and pocketbooks in Newstands and places with press... I bought Underdog from Athens :) But normally i order online from Wettergrens....it's more convienent,i order whenever and whatever i want :Spin:

thanks for the recommendation :)) i'll try to get "Gentlemen" next time i order books...

Some good fantasy books are:

Anything from Terry Goodkind (Debt Of Bones, Wizards First Rule, Stone OF Tears, Blood Of The Fold, Temple Of The Winds, Soul Of The Fire, Faith Of The Fallen, Pillars Of Creation, Naked Empire)

The Great Gatsby was good, and 1984 is a must to read for any human being

The only book in swedish I've managed to buy is Graham Greene's "Den mänskliga faktorn" - it was catalogued in the german section in a second-hand bookstore.... I started to read it last week and now I realize I also need a dictionary.... damned!
It's not the kind of books I like to read, but at least it helps me acquire more vocabulary.

Destroyer Of Orden said:
Some good fantasy books are:

Anything from Terry Goodkind (Debt Of Bones, Wizards First Rule, Stone OF Tears, Blood Of The Fold, Temple Of The Winds, Soul Of The Fire, Faith Of The Fallen, Pillars Of Creation, Naked Empire)

The Great Gatsby was good, and 1984 is a must to read for any human being
Recently read Wizards First Rule... it seems all my family up at the lake talk about so I read it... not sure when I'll get to the next though. rate-7/10

Recieved "The Encyclopedia Of Heavy Metal" by Daniel Bukszpan forward by Ronnie James Dio... not too bad in my opinion, I was surprised to find certain bands recieve recognition that seemed unnoticed.

I knew we had a book thread ;)
I don't remember me asking about that book by Graylings though but well..
Anyway, I'll give it another try by asking if anyone read smth by Daniel Levitin, either "This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession" or "The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature"? The latter I accidently stumbled upon today during my lunchbreak but didn't have the time to thumb through the book to see what it's like.

^ Never heard or read those, but they seem interesting.

Right now I'm reading "Nordic Gods and Heroes" by Padraic Colum ( [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Gods-Heroes-Padraic-Colum/dp/0486289125/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231315016&sr=8-1"]Book[/ame] ). It's an excellent book, and if anybody is interested in Norse mythology, then this is an excellent start.

I've also been reading Ana Karenina, I only have to read like 180 pages, but the book is so long that I got fed up with it. It's really good though.

^ Und ich möchte eine Buch über die "Rote Armee Fraktion" lesen, aber ich finde die nicht auf Amazon.com :erk: .

hm... If you want to read a book about the RAF in English, you should try "Red Army Faction" as a search term. For German books, try amazon.de, they seem to have enough! ;)

hm... If you want to read a book about the RAF in English, you should try "Red Army Faction" as a search term. For German books, try amazon.de, they seem to have enough! ;)

Ich habe es gefunden :p
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex.

A friend from Germany told me he was reading that, an I got very interested on the topic. I'm afraid the German used there may be too advanced (in terms of vocabulary), but I might as well give it a try. Right after I finish reading the 28 books that I have, which I haven't read :erk: . (Hey with the M.A. I barely have any time to read at all).

I guess everybody knows about Carl Sagan, well, my favorite book of CG is The Varieties of Scientific Experience, it's just amazing!

O'Reilly and Associates book titled "Learning C# 3.0".

Yes, it's about as exciting as it sounds, but I should really bone up on my programming skills for my current job. Yes, I want to go to school at some point, but right now, I just want to stay employed in my job, as so many others are losing theirs. This'll help.

Just finished reading The Stand by Stephen King for the second time, a couple of days ago. Absolutely brilliant, and it was even better this time. Next in line is A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller.

That book by the King is really amazing, all that description of the US areas, the characters (trashy is quite a good one, but also Fran and Larry my fav), the struggles between good and evil, and also the ending, it's really awesome, had to fortune to read it in original (bought in England) and it helped me so much with different way of speaking and figures of speeches