Brewing

I started a batch of quick and dirty mead yesterday using stuff from the grocery store...I don't expect it will turn out incredibly, but with a bit of luck it will at least be drinkable. Anyway it's my first brewing experiment of any kind, hopefully there will be more to come. :)

Hey Gnoff, mind tossing some of your stuff up to sthlm ;P :rofl:

@ topic: I'm about to start brewing my own mead, hopefully all will turn out ok ^^,

Müller;8593657 said:
Hey Gnoff, mind tossing some of your stuff up to sthlm ;P :rofl:

@ topic: I'm about to start brewing my own mead, hopefully all will turn out ok ^^,

Shipping is a bitch ;)
Damn expensive and is bad for the beer.

If ever in Göteborg I might be able to arrange a tasting though.

Put my ordinary bitter on bottles today, around 2.7% ABV

My Pale Ale with hops from New Zeeland and US was transferred to secondary

Will brew my porter tomorrow if I don't get too messed up at tonights Deathfest

My mead is starting to look more like a tasteful liquid and less like slightly pissed in water. Looks like the fermentation has slowed down a bit too.

The word "stout" makes me thirsty. YUM! I shouldn't read this at 7:45 in the morning.

Whenever I make mead it takes 2 years to truly settle out and give a good flavour. If I try to drink it after one year it's Woah! Potent and nasty!

The word "stout" makes me thirsty. YUM! I shouldn't read this at 7:45 in the morning.

Whenever I make mead it takes 2 years to truly settle out and give a good flavour. If I try to drink it after one year it's Woah! Potent and nasty!

The stuff I bottled back at the end of August has gotten good and tasty. Was a little ripe and yeasty when it went it, now it's a match for any store-bought and promises to age well. I only used #8 corks though, so my understanding is it will only keep for 18 months or so.

I'll resurrect this again.

Stared the Sunday brewing for today, mashing just done.
Also brewed yesterday.
oth today and yesterday brewing after a recepie for an English Pale Ale, will present the two brews as the same on the Swedish Championships for Homebrewed Beer in April.

Brewed 2 weeks ago as well, also a 2 day brewing of the same beer, a Brown Porter, also up for the championships.

Next weekend for Saturday + Sunday will be for brewing an American Pale Ale, that is the one I plan on winnign the gold medal for.

Update on my mead: tasted pretty decent and got me quite drunk. I declare it a success. I'll probably jack some space in my parent's basement for some larger batches now...

Saturdays brew was a bit too active yesterday, with me having a bit too much beer in teh fermenting vessel.

Yeast was burping out through the water lock, this time I really could have used a proper blow off tube. Usually it's fine though, just had a bit too high OG, resulting in diluting with water to a degree where I had a bit too much starting beer.
Oh well, I was fairly certain it would happen, so was prepared for it ;)

Upcoming weekend I'll use a bit less malt than planned, resulting in a little bit less beer as well, but no mess during fermentation.