Brewing

Basically this being "raw" honey, it has tons of pollen in it, so it would have massive amounts of "wild yeast".

I don't want anything living in my fermentation than teh added yeast for a controlled fermentation.

Also, while boiling sterilize the solution, it also makes some bigger proteins to flock together and allows you to get rid of it, making for a clearer (more attractive) end product.

But mianly I boil it do kill off wild yeast and bacteria.

When it comes to beer there are other reasons for boiling, bt won't go into those unless asked, I nerd out enough as it is :Spin::Spin:

I get my huge buckets of honey for free from my brew mentor, he gets loads and loads every year from neighbouring bee keepers, the parts they don't want to or can't sell for various reasons.
He gives me some now and then for free so I can brew mead or use it in beers.

If I had to pay for a huge ass bucket of honey that size my mead would become fairly expensive indeed...

Might I suggest using campden tablets (1 per gallon) crushed and mixed into the must and let to sit 24 hours before adding the yeast. That will also kill wild yeasts and bacteria without having to boil.

For me personally I don't mind boiling, and will continue to do so.
Good advice though, not heard that before!

Mead is happily bubbling away in my brew room, feels so nice to hear those bubbles :p

It will get company on Sunday with a beer, batch #96, Best Bitter
Low alco beers with flavor, mmm, I love it

For me personally I don't mind boiling, and will continue to do so.
Good advice though, not heard that before!

Mead is happily bubbling away in my brew room, feels so nice to hear those bubbles :p

It will get company on Sunday with a beer, batch #96, Best Bitter
Low alco beers with flavor, mmm, I love it

Ok no problem just a suggestion. Also I think I will be bottling the semi-failed 2 gallons of mead this weekend. Its clear as its going to be for the most part.

In other news my 5 bottles of B Nektar vanilla mead will be here today. Its going to be an awsome mead filled weekend.

In other news my 5 bottles of B Nektar vanilla mead will be here today. Its going to be an awsome mead filled weekend.

Vanilla mead, mmh, yummy I guess.
Tried two different meads from the supermarkets recently. Can't say that I really was stoked. We left half of the bottles.... So I'm looking forward to the mead from the eco shop. They sell a nice one in my opinion. But it's a winter mead so unfortunately they only sell it in winter.

Yeah, bubbles away
I even need to close the door when I sleep ;)

Awesome! Some noises are nice for sleep in my opinion. For example the noises of a water mill, I found out in May in Poland when I lived in one. Miss it. Or rain for example.
But possibly the bubbling sound of the mead is less... äh... measured?

yeah, I don't like it when sleeping, find myself waiting for the next bubbles to come, haha

For me the best to fall asleep is complete silence

Beer tomorrow then, haven't prepared as much as I had planned, but then the day will be longer, such is life

Hui, that's quite a lot! How long is the shelf life? Is it for your own consumption?
So, I read some more about brewing mead and decided now not to do it though of course I like mead and I like own production in general. Instead I ordered some knifes for carving wood.:) That will be fine also and I don't have to care for wild yeast and such things I don't trust in etc. (possibly regarding such things I don't trust myself:D)
By the way, in the forum I've looked for brewing mead they also recommend to boil the honey/water.

This particular beer being very low in alcohol stays fresh some 3-4 months perhaps.
The more normal ABV beers I make last well about 6 months or so.

They're still drinkable after a year, just not as tasty as when fresh.

It is all for personal consumption, by that I mean I give a lot of it away as well, both to friends as gifts and to people to consume at my place. I don't drink it all myself.

I never sell any of it, primarily since it is illegal to sell home brewed beers in Sweden.

Today beer #96 (Best Bitter) will be transferred to secondary fermentation/clearing.
Also mead #6 will be transferred to a secondary vessel and flavoured with sloe berries (Blackthorn/Prunus spinosa).

Tomorrow a mate will be over and we'll brew beer #97 (English Pale Ale, with local grown hops to a part) and mead #7 (that will be flavoured with either red+black currants and white gooseberry, or with rhubarbs. The other flavour of the two will be used for mead #8 later this season).

Sunday I'll head to the Dugges brewery, where I'll assist (basically I'll learn their equipment and brew procedure) the flying beermakers from Electric Nurse when they brew their small batch of their Christmas beer for 2012.

Yay brewing!!

Done for tonight.

The Best Bitter fermented a bit more than I planned, will end up just shy of 3.2% ABV

The mead taht went ontop of the sloe berries fermented less than I planned, haha, at 9.9%, still got 1010 degree Öchsle left

The beer taste fine, nice indeed.
The mead is a bit sweet, yet still tart, will be nice to see what happens now that it goes ontop of them berries

Racked beer #96 (best bitter) to bottles, in the end 46 bottles á 33 cl
Just shy of 3.2% ABV

Racked beer #97 (English Pale Ale) to secondary.

Might brew #98 tomorrow in between pizza lunch and the Gojira gig
If not, I'll brew Thursday
Will be a brown porter, sort of low alcohol

Brewed my porter yesterday, but the damn copper spiral I use for chilling the beer started leaking in the water connection and dripping into the beer.

Now lets hope this don't lead to an infected beer :yuk:

An Original Gnoffish Copper Porter would be kind of special at least.:dopey: Is it common practice to use a copper spiral? How can it leak?

An Original Gnoffish Copper Porter would be kind of special at least.:dopey: Is it common practice to use a copper spiral? How can it leak?

Fairly common to build or buy a sprial for cooling.

I've connected a hose to the copper tube, then squeezed it on there with some clips, for whatever reason this hook up worked for years, but now started letting water in via the inlet.

I've takedn the hose off, then pushed it in further and attached the clips at other spots, seems to work for the first check, first real brewing with the hopefully fixed cooling device next week, likely Tuesday?

Ah, now I understand the cooling system. Never thought of the necessity of it though. Seems a brew needs plenty of care.