Bringing kids to concerts

Powers said:
I've been to the Leeds festival twice and I see a few people every year who take their kids. In honesty, i think it's a wonderful idea it, allows kids to have the experience from a very early age and in one sense I wish my parents had done it. However, it's totally dependent upon age, at between 0 and a year and a half old it's probably ok because they can't move very fast but hey proabaly won't appreciate it. between 4 and 9 it's most likely a pretty bad idea, because they can run, they do silly things and you can't have your eye on the the whole time. Once they're old enough to appreciate the experience, which is proabably around 10 (at the earliest), then it's proabbaly ok.

But look on it this way, your at a festival (which you've paid a lot of money to go and see), this is your holiday guys and it's a massive chance to see a tonne of your favourite bands in a very short space of time. Be selfish, leave the kids at home with grandma and you'll have a lot more fun. Take them when they're older and have more respect for of being in the middle of know where surrounded by thousands of people you've never met.

Stilgar, it was a lovely idea and I hope it went well. However I wouldn't have done, I think the kids are too young to appreciate it and your trading in your own enjoyment. Respect to you sir.
Actually, when I see that my son is enjoying it, then it's worth more to me than standing in the front row headbanging, or whatever. So I don't see it as trading in my own enjoyment. :)

BastardSonOfGod said:
Oh this is me with the bass player of Bolt Thrower... I look quite funny but is a good picture :lol: she told me "Easy tiger" hahahaha... When I looked my face in the picture I realized why she told me that hahahaha

vqnsyv.jpg
Cool. :) I never saw her come to their booth. Darn! :p But I did get myself their latest album and shirts for me and my wife. She had never heard Bolt Thrower before, but really enjoyed their gig. :) I guess I'll be playing more Bolt Thrower at home now and not only on my commute to work. ;)

opeth8 said:
Sounds pretty daring. I've talked about bringing my 9 yr old to an Opeth show, but I'm sure it would scare the shit out of her. Maybe when she's 12 or 13 ???

She listens to Opeth when we're driving around. She likes Rock, but Opeth remains a bit much for her. It's funny, she compares Mike's voice to a cartoon character (Mojo Jojo). She finds the growl funny.

Now back to the main subject. Good Luck Stilgar ! Hope it goes well.
My son is quite used to death metal and other heavy stuff, since I listen to it at home, so he never got scared. He actually enjoys some of the bands, especially Nightingale, Edge of Sanity and Opeth and tells me to restart the CD or DVD when they end. So I guess it depends on what you're used to.

Stilgar said:
Cool. I never saw her come to their booth. Darn! But I did get myself their latest album and shirts for me and my wife. She had never heard Bolt Thrower before, but really enjoyed their gig. I guess I'll be playing more Bolt Thrower at home now and not only on my commute to work.

Hahahaha my friends was asking me about Bolt Thrower and I said to them that is a Classic band and they made cool gigs... After the show they was like: Wooooooooooooooooooooow that was intense!!!! :lol:

fenja.jpg

Hei guys,
well this is no tattoo photo, but its a phonto of my 4 years old daughter called Fenja. Amon Amarth is her favorite band (also mine) and she was really pissed that she was not allowed to watch amon amarth live in Hamburg last year. But i promised her to get her a shirt...so did I.

This year I gotta go to Hamburg to see Amon Amarth without her again, and she´s really pissed at that again!

So....this pic is for you, from your probably youngest and biggest fan! Greetings from Fenja - she loves you !

From Amon Amarths official site:http://www.amonamarth.com/news.html

Seems Amon Amarth is popular among the kiddies.:D

Do yuo think its wise exposing your kids to all the homosexual and cock reated jokes plus all the other wierd shit that mikael jokes about?

I've been super busy lately so I don't have my thoughts together really... however I will say that my kids both enjoy the metal that I expose them to in addition to the other music that is played in our house (Jazz, Latin Jazz, Classical, Trip hop, Prog, etc....). My daughter has been to a couple blues festivals, and Hillary Duff and also her "Crush" Jessie Mc Cartney as special treats. She is actually anxious to see Opeth, but I have yet to take her to a show. I will someday, but the time is just not "right" IMHO. My son is my little metal head and his days of going to shows will come. I don't have time right now to express my thoughts on when the time will be "right" or why... but I do feel those decisions are to be made by the parents and will vary depending on the parents mental capabilities (and hopefully considering the situation of each individual child) but the saftey of the children including ear protection is of utmost importance.

img_0094.jpg.w560h420.jpg

My kids the day before Halloween 2005. :)

Edit: forgot to mention my Son turned 3 on Feb. 7, 2006 and my daughter will be 8 on August 20, 2006. Seemed relevant to the convo... Carry on.

Out.:devil:

Most kids probably can't understand/figure out what he's saying... depending on the venue I guess...

I think the actions of people in the crowd are the bigger concern. I know when I've taken my daughter to a sports venue, she's more interested in staring at all the people then she is at what's going on on the field.

Besides, my comments around the house are probably more offensive then what Mikael has to say. I'm not proud of it, but it's true. The world needs more metal fans anyways & why not start young.

Moonlapse said:
I think our faithful mod, Mr Samsara may have done this with his kids. Hmm.. actually it was either him or MetalmanCPA, or both.. who knows.

I think in all of the cases I've heard of though, none of the kids were quite as young as yours, Stilgar!

My kids were in their teens before I ever took them to a concert. From my kids birth to their teens just happened to be a period in my life where I wasn't going to concerts. If I was, I would have dragged them along as I do now.

A. Iverson said:
Do yuo think its wise exposing your kids to all the homosexual and cock reated jokes plus all the other wierd shit that mikael jokes about?

Think about it though, Most kids wont be able to understand what he is saying. I remember watching films when i was younger (7 or 8) with all that sort of thing it sort of just went by me at the time (I get it now though lol1?!!.......). they will just laugh with the crowd, they wont know what he is talking about, unless that sort of thing is said in the household. in which case the parent wont mind anyway. I say it is worse to take say a 13 year old there who knows what these things mean and will take into consideration saying it casually. But at that age it happens anyway. Im sure if Mike knew the younger kids were there he wouldnt crack those jokes anyway.

affinityband said:
Think about it though, Most kids wont be able to understand what he is saying. I remember watching films when i was younger (7 or 8) with all that sort of thing it sort of just went by me at the time (I get it now though lol1?!!.......). they will just laugh with the crowd, they wont know what he is talking about, unless that sort of thing is said in the household. in which case the parent wont mind anyway. I say it is worse to take say a 13 year old there who knows what these things mean and will take into consideration saying it casually. But at that age it happens anyway. Im sure if Mike knew the younger kids were there he wouldnt crack those jokes anyway.
Exactly my thoughts. They won't be able to understand the jokes anyway. And if they ask, I try to explain. As for jokes about sexuality, homosexuality, etc, here in Sweden, sexuality is considered more natural and more accepted than in most places I know (look at the US for example, where sexuality and bad language is considered much worse than raw violence), so I don't see it as a problem if I need to explain things like that. I know I was somewhere around 3 or 4 when I first got things like that explained to me by my parents after asking about it.

Dude you must be an awesome parent! I wish my parents would have taken me to a concert like that when i was young. I had to settle with Whole Lotta Love being my favorite song when i was in grade school. My older brother 14 yrs older stayed with my parents when he first got out of the military in the early 70's. I was into Led Zeppelin, Who, and bands like that in early grade school. You should have seen the look on my grade school teachers faces when a kid in 1st grade answers the question of "What is your favorite song" and most kids answer "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and shit like that and i say "Whole Lotta Love" and that John Bonham is god.

My mom took me to a lot of concerts when I was younger, and we still go to concerts together now. I'm glad she did because she helped to give me a greater appreciation of music.

I will defintely be taking my kids to metal shows when they're the right age. I always love going to metal shows and seeing whole families there. It's a great way to bond with your children.

While this is a noble undertaking, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I took my 10 year old to see Opeth last winter, and half way through the show, he started exibiting symptoms of Virtigo. Virtigo is an illness that manafests itself when inner pressure of your ear canals becomes unequal. This happens mostly to scuba divers, but it can also happen when sound pressure levels are very high. Symptoms include: dissorination dizzyness, and in some cases temporary blindness! Kids are obvously more prone to this condition than adults, and it can be quite dangerous to your hearing. Even with earmuffs!

To make a long story short he became quite ill. All the smoke did not help either, I smoke a pack a day and it was even hurting my eyes. He was quite fucked up to say the least. He loved the concert though.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea