Car Thread

I know where there is a HK wagon that I could probably get for a slab of beer :)

With the work some people put in they are definitely show worthy but I'd never drive one around here, too many kangaroos and pot holes.

My dream Holden is a fully optioned HK wagon with 327 Chev V8, aircon, power steer and GTS trim. I think they even did them with central locking.

Mine is no showcar, that’s for sure. I drive it regularly and camp in it at festivals etc. I think it’s a waste when they end up trailer queens.

Years ago a mate of mine used to run a valet service in a Purple HK with a 454 in it. Back when you could afford to put fuel in a car and still run a business using that fuel :)

We used to have scoreboards on the sides of our trucks, there wasn't a week go by in the winter where one of us didn't add to the score with either kangaroos, wombats, owls, cows and fuck knows what else. I would never drive a show car on these roads even in the summer when it's dry.

Anyone drive a modern pick up truck? I had one back in the 90s and the bed was 7'. I had another one in the mid-oughts that had a 6'5" bed. Both of these were useful. Now I have a family and need a crew cab. The beds on these are 5' or 5'6". That seems pointless. I currently drive a Corolla and have managed to haul 8' lengths of lumber but otherwise my ability to move shit is pretty limited. I can't even shut the trunk lid while hauling my bicycle.

@dorian gray One of my friends has a 2017 F-150 and another has a 2018 Ram 1500. The tow capacity and bed size(6'6" vs 6'4") on the F-150 is a little higher, but the Ram can haul more, looks better, feels better(far better interior) and is overall a much better vehicle imo. Most Fords(outside of a high trim Mustang) feel like shitty fleet cars.

I prefer the Silverados, but they totally ruined it with the new design. It looks like a fucking stormtrooper ....
images

Reactions: dorian gray
Hah yeah fair enough. A roo would do all sorts of damage to an old Holden.

They bend steel bullbars, so yeah even a tough old girl like a 70's Holden wouldn't stand up well too a good strike. Still at least kangaroos don't shit like cows do when they are hit!

Anyone drive a modern pick up truck? I had one back in the 90s and the bed was 7'. I had another one in the mid-oughts that had a 6'5" bed. Both of these were useful. Now I have a family and need a crew cab. The beds on these are 5' or 5'6". That seems pointless. I currently drive a Corolla and have managed to haul 8' lengths of lumber but otherwise my ability to move shit is pretty limited. I can't even shut the trunk lid while hauling my bicycle.

I drive a Nissan dual cab (like, but not the same as the US Frontier) as my daily and the tub in that is shorter than the '77 F series that is sitting in the shed but it doesn't worry me. The Nissan is set up for cruising and getting away therefore it has a canopy on the back and it's decked out with a triple battery system and fridge permanently mounted, it's also got a drawer system and all the recovery gear so that if we want to go anywhere all we need to do is chuck in the clothes and the kids and we are gone.

Realistically the only limitation I've had with the Nissan load wise is because it's not set up for shit carting, but I'll cart timber up to 2.4m (about 8 foot) in the Nissan if I need to, it just hangs out the canopy. On an angle it only hangs out about 400mm at most and god invented rope for things like that. Having the bigger tub in the Effy is handy but it's not a dual cab so I can't take the whole family, it's also an old petrol V8 so the fuel economy is not great. Not having a canopy means I have to work harder too because if I'm doing a firewood run I stack firewood in the tub until it's the height of the cabin roof or it's not a good load. Personally for the loads it does if I had to replace the Effy I wouldn't bother, I'd use a trailer, but having the smaller tub of a modern dual cab (that isn't a big RAM or Chevy) is not a hindrance to me.

Reactions: dorian gray
GM products are trash. If you're going to shell out $50+ grand on an antiquated truck, buy a Tundra. They hold their value better and don't turn into shitboxes in 5 years. Otherwise, Ford or Ram is the way to go. The new Rams are beautiful.

...lmfao.

All of the new trucks look ugly, especially those new Rams. And GM by far makes the best American anything. Performance, trucks, luxury etc. Oh and look around, do you see more 5+ year old Chevy's on the road or tundras?

Btw my friend with the F150(v6 ecoboost) had to pull out his boss's brand new Tundra from a ditch just a few months ago.

...lmfao.

All of the new trucks look ugly, especially those new Rams. And GM by far makes the best American anything. Performance, trucks, luxury etc. Oh and look around, do you see more 5+ year old Chevy's on the road or tundras?

Btw my friend with the F150(v6 ecoboost) had to pull out his boss's brand new Tundra from a ditch just a few months ago.

Oh god, you're one of those guys huh?

If you honestly think GM makes the best vehicles I'll just give you this one and move on.

Oh god, you're one of those guys huh?

If you honestly think GM makes the best vehicles I'll just give you this one and move on.
what other American manufacturer makes better performance vehicles? Which of them makes better sedans? What about better trucks(lol @ you bringing up nissans and toyotas), which one of them makes better luxury vehicles? I can ask you for examples and proof of said examples but you would not be able to give me any(except for maybe trucks but that's pretty debatable and does not include large japanese trucks that get hauled by mid size American trucks). But i would be able to give you detailed examples for every one of those if you'd like.

Anyway, I was at the drag strip earlier this week ... do you know how many Fords and Dodges are running off of Chevy small block engines? Most of them(the ones that are worth a damn at least). Have you ever in your life heard of anyone pulling out their GM powered LT, LS, etc engines and dropping in anything that's built by ford or chrysler in there? NEVER.

I personally like Ford, Chevy and Dodge. That's why i never shit on any of them. But i just have to say something when i come across people who blindly trash a brand clearly without knowing a thing or two about said vehicles outside of "I DONT LIKE 'EM". The funniest part was when you vouched for a dodge and then mentioned resale value :lol: lmfao

edit: By the way you love that good ole Trans Am up there right? ;) I dont need to tell you those Firebirds are Pontiac's and that Pontiac was a GM brand, right?

Last edited:
what other American manufacturer makes better performance vehicles? Which of them makes better sedans? What about better trucks(lol @ you bringing up nissans and toyotas), which one of them makes better luxury vehicles? I can ask you for examples and proof of said examples but you would not be able to give me any(except for maybe trucks but that's pretty debatable and does not include large japanese trucks that get hauled by mid size American trucks). But i would be able to give you detailed examples for every one of those if you'd like.

Anyway, I was at the drag strip earlier this week ... do you know how many Fords and Dodges are running off of Chevy small block engines? Most of them(the ones that are worth a damn at least). Have you ever in your life heard of anyone pulling out their GM powered LT, LS, etc engines and dropping in anything that's built by ford or chrysler in there? NEVER.

I personally like Ford, Chevy and Dodge. That's why i never shit on any of them. But i just have to say something when i come across people who blindly trash a brand clearly without knowing a thing or two about said vehicles outside of "I DONT LIKE 'EM". The funniest part was when you vouched for a dodge and then mentioned resale value :lol: lmfao

edit: By the way you love that good ole Trans Am up there right? ;) I dont need to tell you those Firebirds are Pontiac's and that Pontiac was a GM brand, right?

Are you the new Big Dave or something? You sound like a politician taking everything I said out of context and then putting your own weird spin on it.

Are you the new Big Dave or something? You sound like a politician taking everything I said out of context and then putting your own weird spin on it.
putting my own spin on it? You mean kind of like how you did this ....

If you honestly think GM makes the best vehicles

i even gave you some credit there and pretended like you were implying best American vehicle manufacturer(like i originally said). You also said GM products are trash and started praising Dodges, Fords and Toyotas. So i basically asked you to tell me what those other companies do better than GM, to which you had no response but "oh you're one of those guys". So yeah, i don't think im taking anything out of context here. But what i am getting is that you seem pretty clueless when it comes to cars. I could be wrong, but you strike me as one of those guys who drives a shitty focus or toyota hatchback. Am i right?

And again lol @ comparing Japanese trucks to full-size American pickups.

I recently (a year ago) bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's baller. I've always wanted one and the only problem is that it's a tad on the expensive side.
I'm thinking about picking up the SRT version. Gonna test drive one soon. The trackhawk seems overkill but this version is somewhat plausible.