Car Thread

The sad thing is the shit I buy is Australian made so it really should be cheaper but it seems to go up in price between every service now days.

If you want a legit luxury SUV that can actually hold its own off-road there are only two options IMO:
1) Any Land Rover - I personally prefer the LR4 or the Ranger Rover Sport
2) Lexus LX series which is simply a rebadged and more luxurious Land Cruiser - Or you could just get a Land Cruiser

I'd probably opt for the Lexus for obvious reasons, especially if you buy an older one, but if you get a good enough deal on one the Land Rover is very nice.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
If you want a legit luxury SUV that can actually hold its own off-road there are only two options IMO:
2) Lexus LX series which is simply a rebadged and more luxurious Land Cruiser - Or you could just get a Land Cruiser

I'd probably opt for the Lexus for obvious reasons, especially if you buy an older one, but if you get a good enough deal on one the Land Rover is very nice.
When I did some research into Land Rover they mentioned the Discovery was probably the most rugged. The price point is better than the others too. I wish the Land Cruiser looked a lot cooler than it does. The LX is a pretty sexy suv.

I thought Land Rovers were supposed to be the most unreliable pieces of shit out there.
they are by far the most unreliable SUV's on the market.

When I did some research into Land Rover they mentioned the Discovery was probably the most rugged. The price point is better than the others too. I wish the Land Cruiser looked a lot cooler than it does. The LX is a pretty sexy suv.
The Land Cruiser looks sweet, but i think it falls more in line with the large luxury SUV's like the Escalades and Navigators.

they are by far the most unreliable SUV's on the market.

The Land Cruiser looks sweet, but i think it falls more in line with the large luxury SUV's like the Escalades and Navigators.
Yeah all of those bore me. They look too uppity to encompass an adventure like feeling. But if the Land Cruiser looked like it did in the 80s, instant buy.

The Mercedes G-Wagons are by far the best luxury SUV's that can also handle just about anything off road. They are regularly matched up with some of the other strictly off road SUVs and usually come out on top. I personally think they are hideous though.

here is the G550 4x4 Squared
264042.jpg

2017-mercedes-benz-g-class_100630976_h.jpg

and then of course there's the $200+k AMG version(V12 turbocharged)....

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
You can make anything go off road, it's just a matter of how you modify it. From the factory most four wheel drives in this country are little more than hill hoppers and highway trucks, even the big F series and Dodge's, while bigger, still wont tackle a rough track unmodified. We have too many road laws to modify them like some of those trucks in the US that need a ladder to get into them. But anyone serious about four wheel driving still puts anything up to a 5 inch lift (total lift tyres, suspension), strengthens everything underneath, adds diff lockers, bead lockers, new ECU's or tuning chips, some even go as far as changing out the engines and gear boxes of a new vehicle.

A factory four wheel drive is okay for a bit of weekend sand driving, a bit of small rock hoping and a few river crossings, and a factory four wheel drive can go further in skilled hands than some modified four wheel drives go in unskilled hands but pretty much anything listed above would not last five minutes in garages here without being modified if the owner wanted to actually use it as a four wheel drive.

Pretty much every manufacturer has someone willing to bad mouth them because of bad stories on the internet. But turn up to any four wheel drive meet here and you'll find every make and model represented and everyone one of them goes hard, but the only ones that survive are the ones that have been modified properly.

Went to the Jeep dealership yesterday and they have two top of the line Rubicons, fully loaded, going for about 57k each. One is punk'n metallic and the other is ocean blue metallic. Those colors enticed me because they're not typical and pop. Decision will be made soon.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity

My Dad's 1999 petrol Land Cruiser has held up damn well. It's had plenty of off-road adventures, though nowhere serious enough to need multiple vehicles/winches. The only really sketchy spot we tackled was a gate with unavoidable deep muddy ruts. After getting home he found that the ruts had squeezed the tyres off the rim a bit and gotten mud in them. About the only other thing that went wrong was the wires chafing in the centre console and causing the electrics to play up.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity