Chicago Powerfest Meet

Pretty impressive lineup for a first time festival. Do you know if they have any plans to move to a bigger venue if it goes over well?

The_Q said:
Dear All,

For all of those attending Chicago Powerfest at JJ Kelleys on Friday, April 8th and Saturday, April 9th it has come time for me to give the details of the get together. I have chosen to coincide the meet with a special event taking place on Saturday, April 9th so here we go...

When: Saturday, April 9th, 2005
Time: 12:00 PM-3:00PM Approxiamately
Place: Impulse Music
344 E. Irving Park Rd.
Roselle, IL. 60172
(630) 529-3070
E-Mail: info@impulsemusic.com

From Approxiamately 12PM to 2PM members of Tad Morose and Morgana Lefay will be appearing at the store to sign autographs. I think that this atmosphere is the perfect place for the meet.

So if you are interested please e-mail me with the information below. For those of you worried about transportation I will attempt to see about carpooling. Thanks.

-Sean Quigley (AKA The_Q)

Please send me:

1. Your Full Name
2. Where you are coming from (State or Country)
3. Are you driving? If not do you need a ride? If you are driving would you be willing to carpool with some people?
4. What hotel you are staying at.

Much thanks go out to John Coyne for getting Tad Morose and Morgana Lefay over here. If you see this dude buy him a beer. It's the least you can do!!!
Much thanks also to Chris of Ion Vein and Rob of Twelfth Gate. This fest would not be possible without you guys!

Pretty impressive lineup for a first time festival. Do you know if they have any plans to move to a bigger venue if it goes over well?

It's not a first time festival, actually... this is the third installment. The first was in February of 2000, and the second was Feb. of 2004, and was kind of a "reunion" version of the first one, with a few new acts. However, this is the first year that Powerfest has had international acts.

If the fest is successful this year, I'd love to see Chris move it to the Metro or the Vic next year. It doesn't seem like 350 tickets is going to appease the masses, especially when locals start buying tickets.

Also, on a side note, Chris has a pre-party set up for Thursday night... 25-cent tacos and metal karaoke, with no cover. I expect to see you all there; it'll be entertaining, at the very least. :)

amazon.com has low-quality samples from most of their albums. be sure to search for both Morgana Lefay and Lefay, as they released albums under both names. And ignore anything from Morgana Lefay - s/t. That album is by [essentially] a completely different band, and is pure crap.

Sounds like a venue change would be great, hope this one is a sell out.

booB said:

It's not a first time festival, actually... this is the third installment. The first was in February of 2000, and the second was Feb. of 2004, and was kind of a "reunion" version of the first one, with a few new acts. However, this is the first year that Powerfest has had international acts.

If the fest is successful this year, I'd love to see Chris move it to the Metro or the Vic next year. It doesn't seem like 350 tickets is going to appease the masses, especially when locals start buying tickets.

Also, on a side note, Chris has a pre-party set up for Thursday night... 25-cent tacos and metal karaoke, with no cover. I expect to see you all there; it'll be entertaining, at the very least. :)

Well, I guess I'll have to miss the pre-party since I'm not arriving until Friday afternoon. Maybe next year. :)

By the way, does anyone know if tickets have been mailed out yet? Just wondering, as the date is fast approaching! :headbang:

Steph

TwstDrSteph said:
Well, I guess I'll have to miss the pre-party since I'm not arriving until Friday afternoon. Maybe next year. :)

By the way, does anyone know if tickets have been mailed out yet? Just wondering, as the date is fast approaching! :headbang:

Steph

Chris said tickets going out next week on the Perp board!!

Bear

Sorry!! It is the place where alot fo this stuff started. It was "our" gathering place to discuss progressive metal and the like. I think its been going for almost 10 years now if I am not mistaken. I have been there since '98 and there still is no place on the internet that I can get the best info on stuff. I mean we get news posts there before I see it anywhere else. I would like to go back in the archives and find the first post when Glenn announced PPUSA 1, that was friggen awesome!!!

Perpetual Motion

Bear

Bear said:
Sorry!! It is the place where alot fo this stuff started. It was "our" gathering place to discuss progressive metal and the like. I think its been going for almost 10 years now if I am not mistaken. I have been there since '98 and there still is no place on the internet that I can get the best info on stuff. I mean we get news posts there before I see it anywhere else. I would like to go back in the archives and find the first post when Glenn announced PPUSA 1, that was friggen awesome!!!

Perpetual Motion

Bear

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Only 25 days left until Powerfest -- woo hoo! :headbang:

booB said:

Chris & I have already made the decision to move to a bigger venue for next year...plus, we have every intention to make it an 18+ (if not all-ages) show.

Actually, the owner of JJ Kelly's just bought another new club that will be just that (bigger and 18+), and we're really hoping that place will work out since we'd love to keep him involved...he's been one of our biggest supporters for Powerfest since we started. Without Vince Kelly, I strongly doubt there would even be a Powerfest...he's probably the biggest reason (other than Glenn of course) why the first ProgPower USA was so successful. Unfortunately, because places like the Metro & the Vic are so UN-supportive of fests like PP & PF, is why Glenn chose to move it to another city.

Chris & I are determined to keep it here for obvious reasons...we live here...hehe, but that's why we've decided to grow Powerfest with baby steps. ;)

Keep your fingers crossed...hehe.

Take care guys & see you in a few weeks!! :headbang:

Rob

Looking forward to making my return to JJ Kelley's :D ....Haven't been there since PP1! Gonna be a great time! Seeing everybody & not to mention a killer line up! :headbang:

Angela

Actually, the owner of JJ Kelly's just bought another new club that will be just that (bigger and 18+), and we're really hoping that place will work out since we'd love to keep him involved...he's been one of our biggest supporters for Powerfest since we started. Without Vince Kelly, I strongly doubt there would even be a Powerfest...he's probably the biggest reason (other than Glenn of course) why the first ProgPower USA was so successful. Unfortunately, because places like the Metro & the Vic are so UN-supportive of fests like PP & PF, is why Glenn chose to move it to another city.

you're not kidding... I know Vince loves to put these things on, and I'm glad to hear he's getting a bigger place. Right-o also about the Chicago scene not being conducive to these types of festivals, despite being somewhat of a metal "mecca"... if Vince's thing falls through, consider the Agora here in Cleveland... ;)

It wasn't just the Chicago 'scene,' either.... Glenn contacted other venues in big cities also (Philly I know, and New York I think) and, to borrow a recent phrase from him, they wouldn't even blink at him...wouldn't book an event that far in advance. :cry:

My roommate Tim* and I helped put him in touch with the people at Earthlink, and happily, they didn't mind booking an event that far out. Whew! :tickled:

-=-=-=-=-=-
* he knows everybody. And I do mean everybody.....

GateXII said:
Actually, the owner of JJ Kelly's just bought another new club that will be just that (bigger and 18+), and we're really hoping that place will work out since we'd love to keep him involved

Any clue where it's at? I hope it's further north. Lansing is a long way away.

<edit>Crap! I just looked it up. That's friggin' Indiana! Ugh. What a crappy drive.</edit>