Christianity and Metal?

Of My Darkest Hour

In The Distance...
Jul 24, 2002
Germantown, TN
Visit site
I know this may be a strange question? But how do you think the two go together. Do lyrics matter or not. Let me see your views? (not implying that you should listen to any Christian metal...except Extol are are phenominal)

They don't really to be honest. I don't think many people give a fuck about a band having christain members, but preaching to the audience that they must follow god is a different matter and where it often goes wrong.

And the other thing about christian metal is that it has no defining characteristics other than being a version of a metal sub-genre already in exiastance except that the they are the christian approved version of that genre. Often quite poor as well.

Half of my band¨members are Budhists. (not me though) and i dont thing´k there is any problems with that..
budhism aint such a hard religion though.
but most often it just leads to interesting debates about life :)

Christianity plus metal just doesn't feel right. Bands like Mortification and Extol create(d) good music, but I couldn't care less for their christian tirades, then again 'satanic' lyrics can be quite entertaining as well.

To answer your question, I tend to ignore the lyrics and focus on the music when I'm listening to christian metal combos, so they get a fair chance. Fascist bands can fuck off though, they could write the ultimate metal hymns and I still wouldn't care.

I think the preaching of any religion or against another is wrong. I myself am a Christian but I do admit....Christian metal is flat only a few good bands burst out here and there...Extol being the finest. And I do believe in Christian Metal...but sad fct is it int really going anywhere. I don't like satanic music its lame. Bands like evereve,opeth,darktranquility,solitude aeturnus,aeternus,katatonia,sculptured,borknagar, etc that can right good lyrics have a vote in my book.

I support ColdDarkNord.
it doesn't matter if the band is christian(as long as the chorus on their songs is: jesus rules jesus rules!)
:lol:

I myself am a follower of Christian metal. There are some good bands out there, but it's just not going any direction. I look at the music as well. If they have a great message, thats a plus. But if its a satanic message or something. I tend to stray away from the particular song or songs

Jonathan

I don't really care about the compatiblity between music/lyrics and christianity. I for myself lost my believe in god over the years...

Edit:
That's not because of the music I hear... (Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Tool, etc.)

I don't care what religion a band or each member practices as long as the music is good and they don't make it a point to shove the religion down the listener's throat. In my opinion, there are very few Christian bands that are any good. Antithesis is an excellent Christian band with insightful lyrics that aren't overly Christian.

There are good bands who are Satanic, but I can't get past the imagery and usually try to focus on the music. Sometimes the lyrics are just too pathetic for me to listen to the band. If a band has certain views, they should not let their music be focused solely on those views. They should have varied songs not just about Satanism, Christianity, etc. In the end, the only thing that counts is the music.

Don't care about whether the guy playing the guitar is christian or an alien. There are some good christian metal bands out there though. Believer and old Deliverance come into mind.

Music is entertainment, people. Nothing more, nothing less. Just like TV stars and athletes, we, the consumers, PAY for this entertainment. So for me not to listen to a certain band because of their beliefs is like saying I don't want to go see a Yankees game because Joe Torrie is a satanist. Or saying I don't like the movie Pulp Fiction because Samuel L. Jackson may be muslim. Who cares?

It is all an act. Of course you have your occasional idiot that takes it too far like Varg Vikernes or the moron who burns down their house because Beavis and Butthead told them to.