Circus Maximus- "The First Chapter" Thread- sanctioned

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I stuck my finger in the hole in the damn as long as possible when it first leaked at the request of the label, band, and the band's management. I did all I could. There is no point in trying to hide things now as the disc is being discussed on tons of forums except here. From a post by Ken Golden, owner of the Laser's Edge:

"Well if there is anyone on the planet that hasn't already heard the Circus Maximus disc "The First Chapter", you can now download the track "Sin" on our website." www.lasercd.com

So feel free to discuss the disc here and please BUY it when it is released.

Glenn H.

Well, I have not downloaded or heard the disc - but this song sounds really good! The chorus has an 80's type sound too it - maybe Styx like, not sure. Very cool though. Will check this out for sure once Ken releases it here.

Already on pre-order for me through cdinzane, can't wait. Yes i've heard it, and I freakin love it. That, along with The Black Halo, are my best of 2005 so far.

I truly feel for folks like Ken. It has to be incredibly frustrating to invest your time and money into these projects, and then have them leak months before the release. Even when they don't leak, people still end up with the MP3s hours after the official commercial release. That being said, I've given up on buying CDs without having heard them first. I listen to somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 CDs a year, and purchase roughly 100 of them. If I was to buy all of those CDs blind, that would mean I would end up spending $3,250 (250 CDs x $13 a CD) on music I didn't much care for (or flat out hated). So, my question for someone like Ken is, where do you see the line? What's fair for both the consumer and the record company? Is downloading fair, so long as you buy what you like? Or is downloading always unfair to the artist/record company?

Zod

P.S. - I plan to buy the Circus Maximus on its release date.

I don't have too much remorse for albums "leaking" early. On the one hand, yes, many individuals will not go out and purchase an album that they've been listening to for months in mp3 form. This is a damn shame. Support the band.

However, if it was not for the internet, none of us would have heard most of these bands and wouldn't be buying their albums anyway. At least when albums "leak", it gives people an opportunity to "talk the album/band up" and gives others incentives to buy.

General Zod said:
I truly feel for folks like Ken. It has to be incredibly frustrating to invest your time and money into these projects, and then have them leak months before the release. Even when they don't leak, people still end up with the MP3s hours after the official commercial release. That being said, I've given up on buying CDs without having heard them first. I listen to somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 CDs a year, and purchase roughly 100 of them. If I was to buy all of those CDs blind, that would mean I would end up spending $3,250 (250 CDs x $13 a CD) on music I didn't much care for (or flat out hated). So, my question for someone like Ken is, where do you see the line? What's fair for both the consumer and the record company? Is downloading fair, so long as you buy what you like? Or is downloading always unfair to the artist/record company?

Zod

P.S. - I plan to buy the Circus Maximus on its release date.

ditto!!

kind of an ironic name for the sample song, given the current situation and topic of the thread.

Haven't heard anything except a few samples...didn't know anything had "leaked."

Very much looking forward to spending my hard earned cash on this CD...whenever Ken offers it up on pre-order, I'm there!

Rock on!

I only download a cd on .mp3 when I'm doubtful if I'm going to like it or not -- and even then, only rarely and in extreme cases.

However, judging from the track on Ken's site, I won't have to download the CM disc, since I know for sure that I'll be buying it. Pretty spiffy.

It's a damn good album, but anyone that is saying album of the year needs to hear Communic's debut and the new Pagan's Mind before they comment. Damn, all the top talent in metal these days is from Norway!

requiem99 said:
It's a damn good album, but anyone that is saying album of the year needs to hear Communic's debut and the new Pagan's Mind before they comment. Damn, all the top talent in metal these days is from Norway!

I haven't heard the Communic album and I have heard the new Pagan's Mind. After listening to both a couple of times, I prefer the CM. Pagan's Mind is very good, however.