Circus Maximus

They slayed. I laugh my ass off when every new prog/metal band gets touted as the 'new' DT or SymX. CM is certainly in that upper echelon of badass musicians, and even cooler, in some ways. They have a synergy to them, that can't be faked, or bought. Only Fates Warning gave me that vibe the whole weekend.

Am I the only one who was disappointed with Mike's vocals Saturday night? He seemed to opt out of the high notes and take a lower road. For example, on Ultimate Sacrifice (my favorite song by them for sure), I was expecting him wail at 5:30 into the song, but he didn't. I dunno how to explain it really, he just didn't seem at his best so I was a little disappointed.

Am I the only one who was disappointed with Mike's vocals Saturday night? He seemed to opt out of the high notes and take a lower road. For example, on Ultimate Sacrifice (my favorite song by them for sure), I was expecting him wail at 5:30 into the song, but he didn't. I dunno how to explain it really, he just didn't seem at his best so I was a little disappointed.

Well sure, yeah, but he had the awareness not to try and to still deliver a great performance. Guy has great control.

ALL singers are guilty of this. You can't get CD perfect vocals every show. Just ain't gonna happen.

Was it my imagination, or were there a few bars from a Steve Vai song from Fire Garden on the keyboard about halfway through?

Well sure, yeah, but he had the awareness not to try and to still deliver a great performance. Guy has great control.

ALL singers are guilty of this. You can't get CD perfect vocals every show. Just ain't gonna happen.

Eh, it wasn't just that song tho, he didn't let it loose on any of the songs. And I realize you can't get CD perfect vocals on every show, but look at James LaBrie. I don't care for him at all, but he sure brings it live night after night. However, James does have a few more years under his belt :lol:

Regarding CIRCUS MAXIMUS’ "ISOLATE" release, I haven't had a release stick in my brain since QUEENSRYCHE's "THE WARNING" & “OPERATION MINDCRIME”, IRON MAIDEN’s “PIECE OF MIND” or METALLICA’s “MASTER OF PUPPETS”. I know this is high praise but it’s true. (The comparison I’m using here is the IMPACT the songs have, not stylistic). The kind of impact where you listen to a song one day & the next morning you wake up still singing the lyric. The ISOLATE release is something special & I hope CIRCUS MAXIMUS is a headliner at PPUSA 2010 to support their new upcoming release.

This is going to sound corny, but thanks to CIRCUS MAXIMUS ISOLATE release I can relive some of the great days of when I was a teenager.

In 1983 I woke up singing “…You'll take my life but I'll take yours too, You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through...”
In 1984 I woke up singing “...So take hold of the flame, Don't you see life's a game, So take hold of the flame, You've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain...”
In 1986 I woke up singing "...Back to the front. You will do what I say, when I say, Back to the front, You will die when I say, you must die, Back to the front, You coward, You servant, You blind man..."

Now in 2009 I wake up singing "...Ultimate sacrifice demands great pain, No longer all alone, yet gone from the real world..."

-KYF

I heard a rumor that Mike was a tiny bit under the weather on Saturday night. Never got confirmation, but I agree with those saying that he didn't "wail". I've seen him "WAIL" and this ProgPower he just wasn't at his best, though I will say that his control was amazing, and the notes that he DID go for he really nailed, and he never "missed" a note, just chose not to go for some.

Still an awesome performance, and I'd have them back again in a heartbeat.

Regarding CIRCUS MAXIMUS’ "ISOLATE" release, I haven't had a release stick in my brain since QUEENSRYCHE's "THE WARNING" & “OPERATION MINDCRIME”, IRON MAIDEN’s “PIECE OF MIND” or METALLICA’s “MASTER OF PUPPETS”. I know this is high praise but it’s true. (The comparison I’m using here is the IMPACT the songs have, not stylistic). The kind of impact where you listen to a song one day & the next morning you wake up still singing the lyric. The ISOLATE release is something special & I hope CIRCUS MAXIMUS is a headliner at PPUSA 2010 to support their new upcoming release.

This is going to sound corny, but thanks to CIRCUS MAXIMUS ISOLATE release I can relive some of the great days of when I was a teenager.

In 1983 I woke up singing “…You'll take my life but I'll take yours too, You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through...”
In 1984 I woke up singing “...So take hold of the flame, Don't you see life's a game, So take hold of the flame, You've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain...”
In 1986 I woke up singing "...Back to the front. You will do what I say, when I say, Back to the front, You will die when I say, you must die, Back to the front, You coward, You servant, You blind man..."

Now in 2009 I wake up singing "...Ultimate sacrifice demands great pain, No longer all alone, yet gone from the real world..."

-KYF

You bet. Very melodic and catchy album on top of being very technical at times. Isolate kicks ass as did their performance!