COB Miscellaneous

Work, gym, play.......then all over again. Nothing too much. Mainly work. Don't even get to play that much anymore..although I got Obscura's Cosmogenesis Tab book and am trying to learn Universe Momentum....what a bitch that is. Some pretty big stretches. I'll get it down pretty soon though.

Been wanting to go to another concert, but nobody worth a shit has come around that I want to see since the Death concert. CoB isn't even coming to Orlando on the next tour. Wouldn't mind seeing them again, but not too big a deal. Really hoping Tool releases something new and comes around. Would love to see them again.

Didn't you get a job at a music shop or something? You still there? Still playing the Jackson?

lol, I remember when I was trying to learn some of Christians solos with Necrophagist. I've long since given up. The thing is though is that since the tabbing of those songs on Omnivium he's actually started playing them differently to get around his focal Dythymia (I forget exactly what it's called). He taps most of the runs now, which is actually pretty cool.

But yeah, I was working at Guitar Center on OBT until about a week ago lol. I was working 2 jobs for a bit there and couldn't juggle both with school so I had to quit. But yeah, I'm playing the hell out of that Jackson still lol. Just finished up a decent bit of material and having someone throw together drums for me and once I get my new rig in a few weeks I'll have it recorded.

Gorguts is coming with Carcass and TBDM, as well as Amon Amarth, and I'll be making the trip to Tampa for Bodom and Tyr probably. Idk yet. Saving money to go to MDF this year for the first time too : )

Okay.

Fact: Alexi can nail his solos in the studio but not live, which is clearly the only place his wrist affects him. Pull his dick out of your mouth, he's not even that good of a guitarist. Yes, really.

dude first of all, why the fuck are you here? you sound like a COB hater by reading all your posts here in the thread. if i hated one band, the last thing i would do would be in their fan forum, just saying

and i dont know about you, but being "good guitarrist" is far beyond being sloppy or not. yes he is sloppy, too much for my taste as well, but as a guitarwise composer, he is absolutely incredible and one of the most interesting guitars players i´ve ever heard. alexi has some magic in his solos and vision others lack. he is just only the reason i play guitar

if i wanted to hear some perfect playing without a mistake, i´d listen to guitar pro or chris broderick. music isnt about being perfect, at least for me, although i agree alexi should be less sloppy live, and although all his physical injuries he is playing complex fast playing (not some random thrash stuff) while he sings and has his guitar almost on his knees (for style so this is his fault, but anyway..)

i really think the problem with metal this days is exactly the fact guitarrists are too perfect playing guitar and are only too focus in that and when it comes to compose, they lack. their priorities are all mixed up. i just ran a bit on youtube and theres SO MANY technical players so much better than alexi, but the truth is i never listened to one creating anything so interesting like alexi (not complex, its different. complex is just a way of sounding good, gilmour can play one note and sound amazing and guys like alexi take that into account...).

for some its about impressing technically (look how amazing i am and what im capable of playing) for others its about how good of a composer (in this case translated on guitar) you are and bringing something. we all dont like/hear/play music for the same reasons.

id rather be an amazing composer translated on guitar like alexi, capable of doing nevertheless technical highly developed and interesting solos and songs in studio but being sloppy sometimes live than being a machine player doing cliche and boring music i heard before somewhere somehow (if it could be called music)

best example of this is mustaine saying broderick is better guitar player than marty friedman. i respect a lot mustaine but that makes me laugh.

but thats just me

dude first of all, why the fuck are you here? you sound like a COB hater by reading all your posts here in the thread. if i hated one band, the last thing i would do would be in their fan forum, just saying

and i dont know about you, but being "good guitarrist" is far beyond being sloppy or not. yes he is sloppy, too much for my taste as well, but as a guitarwise composer, he is absolutely incredible and one of the most interesting guitars players i´ve ever heard. alexi has some magic in his solos and vision others lack. he is just only the reason i play guitar

if i wanted to hear some perfect playing without a mistake, i´d listen to guitar pro or chris broderick. music isnt about being perfect, at least for me, although i agree alexi should be less sloppy live, and although all his physical injuries he is playing complex fast playing (not some random thrash stuff) while he sings and has his guitar almost on his knees (for style so this is his fault, but anyway..)

i really think the problem with metal this days is exactly the fact guitarrists are too perfect playing guitar and are only too focus in that and when it comes to compose, they lack. their priorities are all mixed up. i just ran a bit on youtube and theres SO MANY technical players so much better than alexi, but the truth is i never listened to one creating anything so interesting like alexi (not complex, its different. complex is just a way of sounding good, gilmour can play one note and sound amazing and guys like alexi take that into account...).

for some its about impressing technically (look how amazing i am and what im capable of playing) for others its about how good of a composer (in this case translated on guitar) you are and bringing something. we all dont like/hear/play music for the same reasons.

id rather be an amazing composer translated on guitar like alexi, capable of doing nevertheless technical highly developed and interesting solos and songs in studio but being sloppy sometimes live than being a machine player doing cliche and boring music i heard before somewhere somehow (if it could be called music)

best example of this is mustaine saying broderick is better guitar player than marty friedman. i respect a lot mustaine but that makes me laugh.

but thats just me

His playing has been cleaned up as of late, it isnt perfect, but that is live performance, it isnt going to be perfect...

Dude, if I hated a band X, the first thing I would do is having a good ol' flamewar with the band X's retarded fans on their official discussion boards. And I don't hate CoB, even if my behaviour suggests it.

The new Marty Friedman album is out in three days, and there's a short preview of the song with Alexi called Lycanthrope.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Inferno-Marty-Friedman/dp/B00KGJ4YS4/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1398880594&sr=1-1[/ame]

It's uber COB sounding LOL
That's because:
I wrote all the riffs and recorded all the rhythm and backing guitars as well as bass, and our (Skyharbor) drummer Anup played all the drums. Marty just arranged and played lead guitar. That's actually pretty much what the whole album is like - guests contributing songs which he arranges/produces and plays solos over.

quote from the guitarist on the track "Stereohead"

:kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha that classic Alexi "I don't wanna write a fuckin solo" chromatic run that he always does.

I actually quite like this song besides the solos.

Honestly, Alexi is a very skilled guitarist, but his solos are a bit lacking in compositional skill. I would say Alexi has a very narrow sound world. Look at how people laud over a guy that takes a COB solo, and changes it to contain blue notes. You guys can't even recognize those aren't the right notes because, not that you would admit it, you like it better than the original solo. It isn't about complexity, but it is about variety. Alexi really kinda writes the same solo over and over. It's good, but it is never different.

Honestly, Alexi is a very skilled guitarist, but his solos are a bit lacking in compositional skill. I would say Alexi has a very narrow sound world. Look at how people laud over a guy that takes a COB solo, and changes it to contain blue notes. You guys can't even recognize those aren't the right notes because, not that you would admit it, you like it better than the original solo. It isn't about complexity, but it is about variety. Alexi really kinda writes the same solo over and over. It's good, but it is never different.

I don't think you can generalize them
For example, Alexi's solo in "Scream for Silence" is completely different from "Ugly" which is completely different from "Living Dead Beat"