Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world

It obviously doesn't affect their recorded music.
However, the "greatest band" should be just as satisfying live as well as recorded, which they certainly were when I saw them last time they were here.

Since I consider Opeth by far the greatest band MY ears have ever heard, it's difficult to come up with an arguement as to why they wouldn't be considered the greatest.

The obvious question is what needs to be considered to make a band the greatest in the world? I'll answer coming from one particular angle, and it's not about their talent, for I consider them 100% talented. The only thing I can come up with that could be thought of as not thinking of Opeth as the greatest band in the world is they are not known worldwide nor will they ever be. The Beatles, Elvis, Beethoven, for example....all known worldwide and written in the music history books. Regardless of how I feel about Opeth, they will never make "history". The select few of us who really know Opeth will remember them as great (or the greatest), but in the grander sense of the music industry and history, they will be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. And it's a shame that the genre of metal just doesn't get the recognition that it should in the musical sense.

Moonlapse said:
I'd participate... but then I'd also get fired :tickled:

So umm yeah. I cannot find a single reason to fault Opeth, as they are the greatest band in the world and an absolute joy to work for. :D

What do you do working for Opeth you lucky bastard?
Any cool merchandise you could pass my way, assuming there are some benefits in working for Opeth? How about a VIP backstage pass when they come to the Palladium in Worcester in Feb/Mar 2006? Hey. never hurts to ask :D

MetalManCPA said:
Since I consider Opeth by far the greatest band MY ears have ever heard, it's difficult to come up with an arguement as to why they wouldn't be considered the greatest.

The obvious question is what needs to be considered to make a band the greatest in the world? I'll answer coming from one particular angle, and it's not about their talent, for I consider them 100% talented. The only thing I can come up with that could be thought of as not thinking of Opeth as the greatest band in the world is they are not known worldwide nor will they ever be. The Beatles, Elvis, Beethoven, for example....all known worldwide and written in the music history books. Regardless of how I feel about Opeth, they will never make "history". The select few of us who really know Opeth will remember them as great (or the greatest), but in the grander sense of the music industry and history, they will be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. And it's a shame that the genre of metal just doesn't get the recognition that it should in the musical sense.

:

I have to agree. Although opeth is great, music that is not popular does not get recognition in music history books. Classical has its place in history, pop music has its place, jazz, etc... we can only hope that other genres of music will get recognition in the future. But that is off topic, I cant think of a reason right off the top of my head, maybe later, doubt it though

MetalManCPA said:
What do you do working for Opeth you lucky bastard?
Any cool merchandise you could pass my way, assuming there are some benefits in working for Opeth? How about a VIP backstage pass when they come to the Palladium in Worcester in Feb/Mar 2006? Hey. never hurts to ask :D

erm well he is the moderator of the forum :Spin:

Jude said:
Whoa, those are big words.

Opeth are amazing and creative, but Pink Floyd and the Beatles are both more so.

I mean.....

Look at Black Rose Immortal vs. Echoes. As good as BRI does, it goes down in round 1.
fuck yea it does, echoes is the shit

HaloPhenomenon said:
Led Zeppelin have their moments, but they are far from compeating with Opeth.
I think Zeppelin rock out, and Jimmy Page is fucking amazing, but I just don't really dig their style all that much

dsk said:
If they really were the greatest, then only 1 drummer would be required for home and away.
Opeth is one of my fav bands too (opeth, pink floyd, TOOL, alice in chains) but I don't think your argument is rational at all....Martin Lopez is human like anyone else on this planet.....people get sick, so I don't think that has anything to do with being the best band in the world.

and damnit it's impossible for their to be a best band in the world anyways

Ill put it this way...

Pearl Jam is my all time favorite band

but Opeth is the best band ever (IMO)

why?

Because they got everything, even the things the greatest (the beatles, led zeppelin, pink floyd, etc..) opeth has technicality, progressive stuff, brutal stuff, beautiful chilling stuff, straight rock stuff, some of the best clean vocals ever, some of the best growls ever, opeth has brutality and beauty, songs full of rage and songs full of nice feelings, opeth has great songwriting, arrangements and song structures, etc... i could go on forever... :headbang:

Halo P said he wanted an argument ... who said anything about being rational.
I was arguing along the lines of 'what is a "band"?', coupled with my legitimate concerns over the future of M.Lopez.

This is dumb.
Thinking Opeth is the best/greatest band ever isn't dumb. But what kind of ARGUMENTS are you looking for exactly? I'd say listing off a better band is a suitable argument. How else can you argue?
Well, I guess here's my argument(s)-
Their songs are too damn long sometimes.
They stay in E too much.
They seem to be dominated creatively by one source.
A lot of riff recycling.
A lot of lyrics that don't really mean much, but sound cool.

If they would tweak these things, they might be the greatest/best. But time will tell.
My most powerful argument, however, would be IRON MAIDEN. Even though they demonstrate some of the same flwas as Opeth. Which tells you something about how close Opeth is...

Because not everyone can say "Opeth is the greatest band in the world".
Some people hate them.
I came across some guy the other day who thought Mastodon was the only good metal out these days, and said Opeth were shit.
IMO Queen would probably appear the greatest band in the world, for a lot of the genres they covered and pulling it off well, Freddie Mercury had amazing stage presence and put on a good show. I can't see anything wrong with Queen.
Opeth is too obscure for many people.

And ofcourse im aware of that nothing will be solved with this thread.. Opinnions are what will be read, i like to endlessly read what people think and endlessly argue about it, nothing serious though, music is no sport.

- so the one drummer who is familiar with the music is ill, and still they manage to put on great shows for their fans ... how can that possibly be an argument against them? ... so if Jimmy Page would have had a broken arm or something and couldn't play a couple of months, than that would be an argument against Led Zeppelin's music? hmm, you are a weird guy.

- perhaps metal WILL get recognition in the future, I certainly believe so. actually it's getting more recognition than most of you think. there are millions of fans, and their are also lots of musically educated and other intelligent people who appreciate it, and can get over the prejudices against metal. and metal is one of the few music genres that keeps selling albums and keeps talking about music as an art form, and thus has real musiclovers as admirers.
you also seem to forget that there are millions of people who would say that classical music sucks, or that pink floyd sucks, or that elvis or the beatles suck ... this perhaps says more about those people than about the music!
so if Opeth doesn't get recognition from every stupid human being on this planet, than that doesn't mean a thing ...
there is also a lot of music that even the ones on this forum who seem to know so much, have never heard of before ...
and lots of people on this forum will probably think joy division sucks, but they are also one of the best bands ever ... although in a completely different way.

Opeth IS one of the best bands today, and probably will turn out to be one the best ever to came out of the metalscene. if some people rather like short songs with simple but catchy tunes and political statements as lyrics, then they wouldn't like opeth ... but does this affect the status of the music of opeth?? no it doesn't ...

Black Session said:
you also seem to forget that there are millions of people who would say that classical music sucks, or that pink floyd sucks, or that elvis or the beatles suck ... this perhaps says more about those people than about the music!
so if Opeth doesn't get recognition from every stupid human being on this planet, than that doesn't mean a thing ...

Opeth isn't as accessible as those groups, so more people don't have the patience for them.
You'd think if there was a greatest band in the world, EVERYONE would like it so yes it does mean something.

Edit: I said IMO Queen, because in my mind, I could see them as the greatest band but a lot of people would disagree.
This thread was not titled "Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world in your mind" because if it was that would be pointless for a lot of people.

Pain While Urinating said:
Opeth isn't as accessible as those groups, so more people don't have the patience for them.
You'd think if there was a greatest band in the world, EVERYONE would like it so yes it does mean something.
I agree. While Opeth are my current favourite, they aren't exactly a phenomenon of popular culture who will occupy the Dad coffee-table books of the future. Greatness can't be just based on the fact that I love them and have moments of Opeth-awesomeness on my own in the car. Surely it must have something to do with being meaningful to a whole generation to be a worthy contender. Opeth will never have that kind of ubiquity, it's a niche market - regardless of how much they rule to Opeth fans!