Come up with a reason that would not make Opeth the greatest band in the world

your a fucking idiot Jimmy pape is ten times better then mike akderfetlt will ever be. Jimmy Page is a musical genius, he took music from all over th world and incorporated into his playing. Songs like Kasmir. Mike Akderfelt is nothing compared to Page.

The Last with Pagan Blood said:
your a fucking idiot Jimmy pape is ten times better then mike akderfetlt will ever be. Jimmy Page is a musical genius, he took music from all over th world and incorporated into his playing. Songs like Kasmir. Mike Akderfelt is nothing compared to Page.
:lol:

Unfortunatley you do not giev the right reasons why Jimmy page is a legend. Taking music from around the world is not one of them.

Opeth may or may not be the greatest band of all time, but they would certainly be up there with the best of them. If you look at a band like The Beatles, musicaly they were nothing outstanding. Groundbreaking, yes, incredible musicianists, no. The story behind The Beatles is far more interesting than the music itself. And I'd say the same for bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd etc, the story behind these bands is what makes them so interesting. Groups like Yes, Rush etc, well they're another story all together.
People seem to think just because a band was around in the 60's and 70's automaticaly makes them a 'genius' band.

And besides, there are some eastern scales in Opeth's songs... So they must be musical geniuses too!

Ben_Bids_You_Farewell said:
Opeth may or may not be the greatest band of all time, but they would certainly be up there with the best of them. If you look at a band like The Beatles, musicaly they were nothing outstanding. Groundbreaking, yes, incredible musicianists, no. The story behind The Beatles is far more interesting than the music itself. And I'd say the same for bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd etc, the story behind these bands is what makes them so interesting. Groups like Yes, Rush etc, well they're another story all together.
People seem to think just because a band was around in the 60's and 70's automaticaly makes them a 'genius' band.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It gets to my nerves that for some people every old band is a "legend" or "total genius" or something. In my opinion Opeth beats the living crap out of those bands in most ways. And besides, there is no other way to proclaim the "greatness" of a band than a person's own opinion. I don't think it's possible for everyone to agree that a certain band is the greatest of all time. In my view it's Opeth, they "rock my world" the most.

HaloPhenomenon said:
Jude: Howbout the fact that allmost everything opeth has done is by far more creative than anything pink floyd has ever done,
How about no it isn't.
and would "revolver" really beat "still life"?
You can't take a good but not best-ever album by one band and compare it to another band's best album and say that's grounds for one band being better than the other. Sgt. Pepper and The White Album, try those on. And yes, they smoke almost everything produced since them, Opeth included.

Jude said:
You can't take a good but not best-ever album by one band and compare it to another band's best album and say that's grounds for one band being better than the other. Sgt. Pepper and The White Album, try those on. And yes, they smoke almost everything produced since them, Opeth included.

When do people realize that all this is just a matter of opinions? In MY opinion those Beatles albums don't beat Still Life, for example. And in YOUR opinion they do. Everyone listens to and appreciates different things in music, and things like "greatest" and "better" are always subjective.

annt said:
When do people realize that all this is just a matter of opinions? In MY opinion those Beatles albums don't beat Still Life, for example. And in YOUR opinion they do. Everyone listens to and appreciates different things in music, and things like "greatest" and "better" are always subjective.
Dude, I know this. We're arguing opinions in here.

a reason for their being the best band of the world might be their accepting labels to put out pointless re-issues and special editions with bonus material to cash in... :err:

hmmm some varied opinions on this issue. I think what most people will agree upon is that first and for most, due to the popularity of the metal scene, Opeth will never be the most "famous" or well known band in existence. I believe most people here have the intelligence to work that out. Also within the metal scene itself, Opeth's music is not mainstream enough to garnish major attention (although they are gaining some new fans). After all Opeth are a death metal band, which infuse many influences such as 70's prog.

Due to this style of music, I think it's fair to say that Opeth will never achieve massive album sales but we need to look beyond this. Metal has always been somewhat underground, so what we have in Opeth is rather special. We witness outstanding music which is not in the mainstream, something we should respect and love as the music that metal fans all around the world can't get enough of. Our small community is special, we should take pride in understanding that what we have is secluded from the ignorant masses.

This means that whatever genre of music we choose to listen to, in our own opinions is the greatest musical form. For me personally, opeth are my favourite band and metal is a huge part of my life, yet i respect others views on their personal tastes. Basically, the "greatest" band of all time comes down to the individual, after all they control their own mind, nobody elses, but their own.

Opeth is a great, great band, and one of my favorites (THE favorite for half a decade), but there are simply things they cannot do. The thing is, there may not be a "single" band who does everything better than them, in fact, i doubt it. BUT, there are bands who do certain things better, and that's what stops me from putting on the opeth praise so thick. They aren't the best at atmosphere, they aren't the best at creating cohesive albums (though they are good at that), they aren't the most melodic band, they aren't a lot of things. That's why i get so confused when someone acts like a certain band is the best thing to happen to music, and everything else is inferior.

erm.. really straining to find something....

1st two albums have crap production and bad song structures/riffs.. So not all their songs/albums are brilliant.. some of them are... i dare to say.. average!

Musicianship isn't the only thing that makes a band. That's my reason. Seriously - for a band to be 'the greatest' they must have popularity, accessibility; music is a corporation. Although Opeth are revered by many people within metal, others that are into metal can't fucking stand them because they have acoustic passages and clean vocals. Some people love the beauty of Damnation, but cannot stand death growls.

IMO, they are the greatest Metal band; but definitely not the greatest band in history.