contraversial musical opinions

Death had 10000000000000000000000 better song writing then any of the first death metal bands and even now.

what the hell are you talking about? there are a shitload of bands with better songwriting than the predictable verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse that nearly every death song is. Morbid angel, atheist, gorguts, immolation, suffocation, even bands like deeds of flesh have more unique and superior songwriting.

I think ALL Death is overrated.

I'm inclined to agree purely because of the many many Chucktards who crap on about Death's music being the greatest thing since the invention of the toaster. That said though, they had a couple of great albums, and definitely played a part in the evolution of death metal. I certainly don't think Chuck deserves all the anus.com slagging and defamation.

what the hell are you talking about? there are a shitload of bands with better songwriting than the predictable verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse that nearly every death song is. Morbid angel, atheist, gorguts, immolation, suffocation, even bands like deeds of flesh have more unique and superior songwriting.

Dave, shut up. It was only a matter of months ago that your username was Chuck Schulidiner>>>>>>God and you crapped on ENDLESSLY about him being the greatest songwriter ever. It's extremely obvious that you don't know what the fuck you're on about, and you've just latched onto someone else's opinion for this month. Next month you'll have 'reconsidered' because you read an article by someone else about how Death's music is actually understated genius.

Dave, shut up. It was only a matter of months ago that your username was Chuck Schulidiner>>>>>>God and you crapped on ENDLESSLY about him being the greatest songwriter ever. It's extremely obvious that you don't know what the fuck you're on about, and you've just latched onto someone else's opinion for this month. Next month you'll have 'reconsidered' because you read an article by someone else about how Death's music is actually understated genius.

that was 3 or 4 months ago actually and I know much much more now than I used to.

this is not something I read somewhere and just copy and paste everywhere now. It's something I realized when I listened to alot of death and it became very repetitive. I still like the band but the album are only good for a listen every once in a while (especially their post human stuff), otherwise it becomes EXTREMELY repetitive/predictable.

I enjoy most of their albums however, though not nearly as much as I used to.

You're going through a backlash phase against the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" stigma that you've just been introduced to, as if complexity cannot be showcased through such a formula. You'll get over it. In the meantime, shut the fuck up. And Mort Divine, the world would be a better place if you didn't have to mention that you think ALL Death is extremely overrated every time the subject is brought up, because I'm pretty sure every poster and lurker here already fully understands this point by now.

You're going through a backlash phase against the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" stigma that you've just been introduced to, as if complexity cannot be showcased through such a formula. You'll get over it. In the meantime, shut the fuck up.

interesting, I wonder if I will get over it because I love almost everything else there is about death/control denied

that chorus-verse structure makes things so goddamn predictable though

Even Burzum has used that structure. See the song "War" off of the eponymously titled debut:

quote]This is War
I Lie Wounded on Wintery Ground
With Hundred of Corpses around
Many Wounded Crawl Helplessly around
On the Blood Red Snowy Ground
War
Cries of the (ha, ha) Suffering Sound
Cries for Help to All Their Dear Moms
War
Many Hours of Music
Many Drops of Blood
Many Shiverings and Now I Am Dead
And Still We Must Never Give up
War[/quote]

Of course not at all typical of Varg's work overall and essentially a tribute to Bathory, it is nonetheless noteworthy.

that chorus-verse structure makes things so goddamn predictable though

A song can still kick ass while being predictable. I've listened to a number of Motorhead albums over and over again, and I know exactly what the songs sound like, but it doesn't matter when a band just stomps as much ass as Motorhead does. It'll get my blood pumping either way.

Wow, 27 pages of messages is exhausting, I only read page 1.

Here's mine. Emperor is over rated. The sound like guys trying to sound like they know what they are doing musically but lack the knowledge to do so, relying only on intuition. It's just a bunch of well produced crap. It's like slayer solos that are in key if that makes sense. I do think that Ihsahn is talented b/c his solo record was solid. But Emperor sound like they are trying to make so many layers and instrumentation work when it really doesn't. There, that should make people quote me and then argue otherwise. That's definitely in the spirit of the forum.

But Emperor sound like they are trying to make so many layers and instrumentation work when it really doesn't.

Actually, that might be why I rarely/never listen to them. Their music sounds like a giant clusterfuck of instruments and random sounds all competing with each other. It's a little awkward.

What about the huge The Sound of Perseverance sig you had Dave? And why do you always have to throw 5 other random bands in comparison to something??

Wow, 27 pages of messages is exhausting, I only read page 1.

Here's mine. Emperor is over rated. The sound like guys trying to sound like they know what they are doing musically but lack the knowledge to do so, relying only on intuition. It's just a bunch of well produced crap. It's like slayer solos that are in key if that makes sense. I do think that Ihsahn is talented b/c his solo record was solid. But Emperor sound like they are trying to make so many layers and instrumentation work when it really doesn't. There, that should make people quote me and then argue otherwise. That's definitely in the spirit of the forum.

Their first album is nothing like that.

I'm inclined to agree purely because of the many many Chucktards who crap on about Death's music being the greatest thing since the invention of the toaster. That said though, they had a couple of great albums, and definitely played a part in the evolution of death metal. I certainly don't think Chuck deserves all the anus.com slagging and defamation.

That's purely because Death was actually a competent band and the band's biggest fans were easy targets for trolling. What kind of controversy would those people create if they bitched about a band like Mortician, for instance? Not many would give a damn.