Controversial opinions on metal

Ace Of Spades is overrated. Good album, but not that amazing. Barlow is annoying.

Overkill and Bomber are shitloads better.

I remember someone here saying Matt Barlow sounded like a bellowing doofus and I was laughing out loud for like 5 minutes and probably had to remove myself from this computer chair.

Overkill is by far Motorhead's best album. Bomber and Ace of Spades don't have nearly as much catchiness.

I'm not sure how controversial it was in the first place. I'm sure scores of us on here would rather listen to tech death than power metal. Tech death seems to be pretty popular on here, regardless of what people have been saying about it.

I'd much rather listen to power metal than tech. death.

Virgin Steele and Slough Feg are better than about 99% of tech. death~

:'x

much better bands in the USPM scene than VS, his vocals are just ugh

Nah, very very few USPM bands are better than VS. They make epic songs better than ANY band.

Vini, Vidi, Vici is probably my favorite power metal song ever :kickass:

Some of the heavier, thrashier power metal is alright. The thing that puts me off power metal most, is those multi-voice vocal harmonies, usually founded in choruses. Blind Guardian do this way too much.

And yet they're one of the "thrashier" European power metal bands (not thrash by any means; but still closer than most Euro power).

I'm with Mort. I really like Virgin Steele. However, I don't listen to them all that often; and I understand why some people don't like his voice (I do; but I have a friend who likes metal who can't stand it). However, no matter whether someone likes them or not, I still believe that they're underrated.

Some of the heavier, thrashier power metal is alright. The thing that puts me off power metal most, is those multi-voice vocal harmonies, usually founded in choruses. Blind Guardian do this way too much.
I would have thought you'd be put off by the 'fairy metal' aspects of it, like lots of ballads, more.

I'd much rather listen to power metal than tech. death.

Virgin Steele and Slough Feg are better than about 99% of tech. death~

Nope

I'm not too fussed on the topic but Tech Death (good tech death) tries to push the limits of musicianship to an extreme. That I can respect albeit if it is sometimes imcomprehensible.

Grown men singing about fantasy lands and leprechauns?:puke:

Matt Barlow's mid-octave vocals are fucking horrendous, and anyone who disagrees with this is just fucking lying.
This is for you:

chemokm0.png

This is for you:

chemokm0.png

Is that a coupon for a free CD sung by Ripper?

Seriously, if Schaffer wasn't completely out of ideas, Ripper's albums would SLAY Barlow's. And Barlow sounds AWFUL on the Pyramaze thing, it doesn't suit him at all.

I don't honestly see what all the Barlow hate is about - he has a great clean vocal style i.m.o.

Though being a traffic cop, he's probably a dick.

dew said:
Seriously, if Schaffer wasn't completely out of ideas, Ripper's albums would SLAY Barlow's. And Barlow sounds AWFUL on the Pyramaze thing, it doesn't suit him at all.

Exactly. People should learn from posts like this.