Controversial opinions on metal

Is that a coupon for a free CD sung by Ripper?

Seriously, if Schaffer wasn't completely out of ideas, Ripper's albums would SLAY Barlow's. And Barlow sounds AWFUL on the Pyramaze thing, it doesn't suit him at all.

Ripper's a good vocalist, but he is miles behind Barlow. Personally, I think people only say Ripper is so good because he was in Priest.

Not to mention, it doesn't help the fact that Ripper didn't fit into, or belong anywhere near, a band such as Iced Earth at all.

I think "groove metal" makes sense, it's just very disjointed. I don't see how bands like DevilDriver and Lamb of God fit in with bands like Pantera and Exhorder, other than the simple fact that the first group was influenced by the second. There's definetly something there in need of identification, a style of thrash inspired metal that is similar to thrash but incorporates more rock and slower grooves. The way I see it, the more rock n roll, cleaner vocaled early "Groove Metal" bands (first wave, you could call them) such as Pantera, Exhorder, Machine Head, Sepultura and White Zombie, that stuff comprises one style. The 'second wave' type stuff uses harsher vocals, sludgier (as opposed to rockish) grooves, and more influence from death metal and hardcore. These bands like DevilDriver, Lamb Of God, Gojira, and Chimaira comprise a different style.

Personally I call the first style Groove Metal and the second style Post-Thrash. Though I'm pretty loose with it.

DevilDriver and LOG are both metalcore. If you don't get this you are deaf.

LOL good point.

Firstly, it's a matter of opinion. Secondly, metalcore and post-thrash are closely related. Thirdly. LOG only have a little bit of core in their sound. Fourthly, both Metal Archives and Wikipeida list these 2 bands as groove metal. MA even calls them melodic death metal. No matter how obvious you think your personal perception of their sound is, I'm not even remotely the only person who considers them groove metal. Yes, groove metal/metalcore. But groove metal none the less. I explained it quite clearly that the second wave is inspired by hardcore.

It's a pretty straight-forward term IMHO. It's not in the vein of post-rock or post-metal, it's signifying the influence like in post-grunge. But I'm cool with post-thrash not being a genre, just call it the first and second wave groove metal then. :headbang:

Nope

I'm not too fussed on the topic but Tech Death (good tech death) tries to push the limits of musicianship to an extreme. That I can respect albeit if it is sometimes imcomprehensible.

Grown men singing about fantasy lands and leprechauns?:puke:

Pushing musicianship to the limits of extremity doesn't mean shit when 99% of tech. death bands can't write a proper song. I have no respect for technical musicians who can't actually play MUSIC.

And when you're done crying, explain in what context you mean "song" and "music" and we'll let you sit at the grownup table for a little while.

Also, V, I agree 'Groove Metal' isn't a genre. It's just the commonly used negative conntotation applied to bands that ornery thrashers find too slow. Pantera, Machine Head, and certain albums by Sepultura, Overkill, Death Angel, Exodus, etc. (you know which ones...most of them happen to be awesome).

I just find that style to be superior to a lot of the korny kVlt krap coming out of the supposedly artistic black metal genre. You know, music espousing "culture" and "values" instead of, you know, music.

Post-thrash? Meh. If we follow the trend of what "post-" genres are, I'd say post-thrash is stuff like Coroner, Mekong Delta, Voivod, and some Annihilator.