Controversial opinions on metal

Nesphite is more out-of-this-world but SoTSE is just so well written. It's a matter of taste. And I also wouldn't compare MA to any of those.

I think it just comes down to which style of theirs is liked most.

Ashes Against The Grain drew heavily from more rock based sounds (especially post-rock, which they actually managed to translate into a 'heavier' style very well - better than any so called post-metal bands) and I tend to prefer their neo-folk based sound most which obviously was what The Mantle focused on.

I think they do the black/folk sound best. It's what their original sound was based on (Bergtatt), and few bands were doing this in the U.S. in the late 90's. Ashes has that "NeurIsis" sound that all the other 1,569,484 bands are trying to copy nowadays- bands like Neurosis (who created that sound) or Rosetta do it far better IMHO.

Agalloch: Pale Folklore > Ashes > The Mantle

Vikingligr Veldi is most definitely not Enslaved's best album, nor the best of their black metal material. It's alright, but I don't see why so many people worship it.

Also, Kampfar is an incredibly boring band.

I have no idea whether this is controversial or not, as this band has rabid followers and haters, but Sadistik Exekution is pretty mediocre.

B-b-b-but it was recorded in 1957! They were just too underground and legitimate to release it to the world.

Vikingligr Veldi is most definitely not Enslaved's best album, nor the best of their black metal material. It's alright, but I don't see why so many people worship it.

It's the only album I've heard by them I can stand. Granted it's really the only early one I've heard... I've listened to Ruun, Below the Lights, and Vertebrae... and didnt like any of them at all.

I think they do the black/folk sound best. It's what their original sound was based on (Bergtatt), and few bands were doing this in the U.S. in the late 90's. Ashes has that "NeurIsis" sound that all the other 1,569,484 bands are trying to copy nowadays- bands like Neurosis (who created that sound) or Rosetta do it far better IMHO.

Ashes has nothing remotely similar to Neurosis :| A degree of post-rock influence combined with metal riffs (which aren't really anywhere to be found on the album outside of Limbs and Not Unlike The Waves) doesn't mean they're some Neurosis post-metal clone.

Infact the two most post-rock influenced tracks on the albums Our Fortress Is Burning... I/II are easily amongst the best works the band has done.

Every Katatonia album is great. :D

Although, I think their best albums are Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones.

The worst is Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

Agalloch: Pale Folklore > Ashes > The Mantle

Eld is the best.

Also, Kampfar is an incredibly boring band.

Agreed. I could never get into them.

The best Enslaved album is Eld

Basically, yes.

Slumber of Sullen Eyes beats Nespithe just by a HAIR imo.

Also anybody saying Demilich sucks needs to take a ride on the Fuck Off Express.