Controversial opinions on metal

I actually thought he was that girl until I saw his pic in the "Pics" thread awhile ago. I keep thinking he's that girl from Paramore...the same goes for everyone else I visualize them as their avatar for some reason.

Protip: Music can be objectively judged and to state that Demilich is a shit band is proof of a failure to understand music.

c'mon dude, you're cool and all, but that's asinine. you're letting that guy get under your skin.

i could go far as to say you're right, that it's a failure on my part to understand shitty music because my evolved brain is unable to comprehend burps with oh-so-technical rhythms having anything to do with high art on a neurological level.

then again, perhaps likes women, some music gives you a boner, while that same music gives another dude whiskey dick

I actually thought he was that girl until I saw his pic in the "Pics" thread awhile ago. I keep thinking he's that girl from Paramore...the same goes for everyone else I visualize them as their avatar for some reason.

That is why I block avatars and signatures on most forums. They ruin my wonderful mental images. :(

How so? Song-for-song, Operation: Mindcrime is definitely their most traditional and tr00 full-length, putting aside Suite Sister Mary. The Warning is pretty prototypical of Keepers-era Helloween in its light and melodic nature, and has those weird orchestral bits, and Take Hold of the Flame which is a total power ballad.

That's what I mean. The Warning is more traditional metal sounding than Operation: Mindcrime. Mindcrime, while still fully a metal album, is done in a not-quite traditional style.

fair enough. in the same sense that i'd argue paramore are awesome most no one else here would :p

After you admitting that I think I can respect you alittle bit more. I listen to alot of stuff everyone here thinks is complete shit and they listen to some bands I think are a shit. But I'm not ashamed to say I like something. Anyone who is afraid to say they like or dislike something is a straight up pussy. If you like something don't back down because everyone hates it that just doesn't make sense.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" moment over.

Paramore is actually my favorite band
icon_ninja.gif

hardly. i've never seen a reasonable argument against their music. its always completely off base comments like "its simple and whiny music for pre-teen girls."

Well, Katatonia is simple and whiny music for middle aged men...

Honestly I don't like Paramore for these reasons...

1. Anything preteen girls worship I typically despise. This irrational hatered was birthed from hours of cyberstalking on Vampirefreaks.com of course (HEY ATLEAST I ADMIT IT PEOPLE) "OMGESEZ paramore is leik so amazing" lol @ overuse of the word amazing to describe something.

2. It comes off to me as what was previously mentioned by Mort.

3. Their music isn't mentally or emotionally stimulating at all to me.

Listening to their song It's Not You. Sounds like female vocal led post-grunge and I'm really not big on that style outside of Our Lady Peace.

I don't know why though but I just absolutely love the current wave of pop rock bands with female vocalists such as Paramore, VersaEmerge, New Years Day, Hey Monday, etc.

hardly. i've never seen a reasonable argument against their music. its always completely off base comments like "its simple and whiny music for pre-teen girls."

Well, Katatonia is simple and whiny music for middle aged men...

You just made a strawman here.

My dislike for Paramore stems from the fact that they shamelessly ripped off Avril Lavigne, who was herself a manufactured creation of a cynical manager. Their music is lacking in anything resembling depth. It's bland, generic pop music.

Whoa. Their music is nothing like Avril Lavigne.

First major song from Avril - Complicated around 2003

First major song from Paramore - Misery Business in 2007

And even using later Avril examples such as Girlfriend the music is completely different.

For one thing Avril never had any punk influence and at the very least early Paramore had some degree of influence from melodic hardcore acts such as Bad Religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have very little in common musically but the image is very similar the whole "im a bad girl and I don't take no shit so I joined a rock band to stick it to gender roles." Is what makes them comparable.

@ Mort

Listening to their song It's Not You. Sounds like female vocal led post-grunge and I'm really not big on that style outside of Our Lady Peace.

I don't know why though but I just absolutely love the current wave of pop rock bands with female vocalists such as Paramore, VersaEmerge, New Years Day, Hey Monday, etc.

I only asked because Halestorm's vocalist sort of sounds like Haley Williams. I wouldn't say I exactly like the song "It's Not You", but it is pretty infectious.

Bad Religion... melodic hardcore... what?

Admittedly Paramore didn't really draw from stuff like How Could Hell Be Any Worse? but it isn't a stretch to say that stuff like American Jesus can be found in pieces through their album All We Know Is Falling.

They may have very little in common musically but the image is very similar the whole "im a bad girl and I don't take no shit so I joined a rock band to stick it to gender roles." Is what makes them comparable.

@ Mort

Maybe, but I don't think their images are all that similar. Avril was always that "bratty fake punk princess" while Hayley has been the "powerful youthful girl" type with none of the "punk" pretenses Avril had.

And god this thread got REALLY gay haha, serious discussions of Paramore and Avril? WTF!