Controversial opinions on metal

The features you claim typical of death metal over the years were not something that existed in significant excess for Deicide to remove. They weren't CC-level generic, yeah, and Legion was certainly more deathly than Death, Obituary, and others, but I don't see why those first two albums are considered to be unprecedented. They sound like Slayer riffs and solos chopped up into very hectic death metal songs.

And Glen Benton's vocals fucking suck. He realized that both his growl and black-ish rasp suck satanic phallus so his solution was to layer every other vocal line with both. Make a vocal duet between Kam Lee (another overrated worthless vocalist) and some random first-and-a-half wave shrieker and you have Glen Benton.

The features you claim typical of death metal over the years were not something that existed in significant excess for Deicide to remove.

It's not a question of "excess" in others so much as Deicide distilling the genre to it's pure essence.

They weren't CC-level generic, yeah, and Legion was certainly more deathly than Death, Obituary, and others, but I don't see why those first two albums are considered to be unprecedented.

Perhaps because you don't have the listening experience to fully appreciate their impact? Seriously, listen to those albums in the context of the death metal from that era. Compare Altars of Madness or Leprosy or pretty much any death metal album circa 1987-1990. None of them even come close to matching the abrasiveness, the sustained dissonance or the sheer violence of Deicide, much less Legion, which upped the ante in every way.

Intestine Baalism are extremely mediocre to me, i don't see the hype at all tbh. Its standard MDM yes but way too repetitive. Almost postitive people will disagree with me on here but meh.

Perhaps because you don't have the listening experience to fully appreciate their impact? Seriously, listen to those albums in the context of the death metal from that era. Compare Altars of Madness or Leprosy or pretty much any death metal album circa 1987-1990. None of them even come close to matching the abrasiveness, the sustained dissonance or the sheer violence of Deicide, much less Legion, which upped the ante in every way.

Their S/T has absolutely nothing on Altars. Maybe a few moments comparable, but there is a ton of mid-tempo thrash chug, and when they do get into blastier death metal moments they're always very partitioned. Morbid Angel integrates future brutal death metal much more evenly. There's a reason Suffocation is called Suffocation and not Mephistopheles. By the time Legion was released, Effigy of the Forgotten and Hallucinations had already been out for a year, and after that they basically gave up when Benton realized he was fronting the shittiest band out of the entire scene.

I have La Grand Danse Macabre by Marduk and it's interesting. The doomy sections sound pretty cool, but the straight up blasting norsecore songs are pretty bland, although not terrible.

SOD is fun as hell. I often link people to Kill Yourself on other forums when a troll lurks about.

Listen to Dark Endless if you havent.
Imagine a black metal band playing bolt thrower style death metal.

But yea, I cant say I enjoy much else I've heard by them.

Heard a couple songs from YT, it was okay, but not really something I would download. Way better than the trigger blasting bullshit in their newer stuff, though.

Their S/T has absolutely nothing on Altars.

I'm not saying Deicide is the better album (although it is at least on par with Altars of Madness), I'm just saying that by way of comparison, the basic approach is substantially further removed from speed metal and heavy metal than Morbid Angel's was just the previous year.

Compare

and

to

and

What immediately leaps out is A.) how much more purely violent Deicide were, B.) how much more dissonant Deicide's sound is and C.) the lingering presence of heavy metal and speed metal in the riff forms, leads and structure of Altars of Madness. Deicide is death metal stripped of the last (comforting) vestigial elements of the music(s) that came before. Which brings me back to my original point: Deicide is a landmark act in death metal because they were the first band to reduce death metal purely to its essential elements, allowing the basic concept of the genre to speak for itself without elaboration and without mediation through references to more conventional music. Comparing them to Cannibal Corpse - a band that has made its living disguising thoroughly conventional music as death metal - is grossly stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed that people still think that Behemoth is anything but a relentlessly sold out pop band masquerading as death metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh noes! Someone else has higher standards than I do, and it makes me feel insecure and asshurt. How absolutely dreadful. I know, I'll try a played out passive aggressive internet meme, that'll teach them to share thoughts that don't validate my personal taste and existence!

More likely, it will just make everyone with a brain mock you with just that much more ferocity, no?

What immediately leaps out is A.) how much more purely violent Deicide were, B.) how much more dissonant Deicide's sound is and C.) the lingering presence of heavy metal and speed metal in the riff forms, leads and structure of Altars of Madness. Deicide is death metal stripped of the last (comforting) vestigial elements of the music(s) that came before. Which brings me back to my original point: Deicide is a landmark act in death metal because they were the first band to reduce death metal purely to its essential elements, allowing the basic concept of the genre to speak for itself without elaboration and without mediation through references to more conventional music. Comparing them to Cannibal Corpse - a band that has made its living disguising thoroughly conventional music as death metal - is grossly stupid.

Why you posted their eponymous song mystifies me, as it's one of the thrashiest songs they have. The introduction could have easily been a part of the more violent thrash bands, that riff at 2:00 is pure Slayer, prior to it they reintroduce the standard thrash beat, and the overall intensity and riff styling isn't much different from, say, Pleasure to Kill. They lack the weird, constantly shifting quality that I associate thrash-removed death metal with. Dead By Dawn starts up promising something on par with Morbid Angel, but those riffs under the verses still have a reliable, standard thrash-chug to them, especially at 1:00. I wouldn't say that Altars of Madness was entirely removed of thrash influence either, but it was an earlier album and, despite the "extraneous musicality" of some of their keyboard-containing doomish bits, was closer to purifying the genre than Deicide's S/T.

I didn't compare them to Cannibal Corpse, btw, I just said that they sucked more.

InvadeMe i'm listening to Deicide and there's no dissonance here. just to let you know. it sounds like thrash.