Controversial opinions on metal

Intestine Baalism are extremely mediocre to me, i don't see the hype at all tbh. Its standard MDM yes but way too repetitive. Almost postitive people will disagree with me on here but meh.

Their only album I own is An Anatomy of the Beast, and I think it's good. Better than other melodic DM bands I've listened to. I've been trying to get their other two.

I am fucking bored with hbb's this band plays this other bands riffs bullshit. Shut the fuck up already.

wat? I wasn't saying that Deicide ripped off any other band's riffs. I brought Slayer up because of Invade Me's fellation of Deicide as if their riffs are stylistically anything unprecedented in the sub-genre.

EDIT: But on that general train of thought, Death's ITP and Symbolic are little more than glorified and simplified Watchtower worship, with bits of Coroner thrown in for good measure.

Who was it that said Black Sabbath wrote every metal riff and that all metal since just rewrites it? Scott Ian? If so, it figures that one of the shittiest riff writers of all times would say that.

Well, early Graveland had different vocal styles and an actual drummer (post-Drumeton through Immortal Pride), so unless you mean both, then you should specify.

Who was it that said Black Sabbath wrote every metal riff and that all metal since just rewrites it? Scott Ian? If so, it figures that one of the shittiest riff writers of all times would say that.

Lots of people have said that it seems. I recall Rob Zombie saying that exact thing in a metal documentary.

Why you posted their eponymous song mystifies me, as it's one of the thrashiest songs they have. The introduction could have easily been a part of the more violent thrash bands, that riff at 2:00 is pure Slayer,

...if Slayer substantially lengthened their typical phrases, altered the basic melodic patterning of the riffs into something altogether weirder, uglier and far more relentlessly chromatic, and offset the rhythms to give you that zombie lurch that so neatly defines much of the sound of death metal. Of all the precursors to American death metal (and maybe death metal, period), Slayer is by far the most influential: it's not exactly surprising that Slayer riffs updated to the (then) death metal state of the art should turn up on a Deicide album.

prior to it they reintroduce the standard thrash beat

There's no such thing as a "thrash beat" or "thrash chug" (the latter referenced below). The mid-paced, palm-muted, staccato riffing style to which you refer has been with us pretty much from the earliest days of heavy metal. It's a technique Deicide deploy in the death metal rather than the speed/thrash fashion: again, longer phrases and the pretty much exclusive use of chromatic movement are the calling cards here.

They lack the weird, constantly shifting quality that I associate thrash-removed death metal with.

Wait, weren't you just trying to compare Deicide to Time Does Not Heal? You can't have it both ways...

Dead By Dawn starts up promising something on par with Morbid Angel, but those riffs under the verses still have a reliable, standard thrash-chug to them,

No such thing as "thrash-chug": see above.

I wouldn't say that Altars of Madness was entirely removed of thrash influence either, but it was an earlier album and, despite the "extraneous musicality" of some of their keyboard-containing doomish bits, was closer to purifying the genre than Deicide's S/T.

Altars... is a great album, but it's a total mishmash of death metal, speed metal and heavy metal elements all jammed together, and it only works because it's all held together with melodic duct tape and nightmare logic. Besides, Blessed are the Sick is their masterpiece, and that one's basically Altars of Madness with a more Deicide-like approach.

Altars... is a great album, but it's a total mishmash of death metal, speed metal and heavy metal elements all jammed together, and it only works because it's all held together with melodic duct tape and nightmare logic. Besides, Blessed are the Sick is their masterpiece, and that one's basically Altars of Madness with a more Deicide-like approach.

This is pretty spot on actually.