Controversial opinions on metal

That was what I thought was spot on (although I personally also consider BATS MA's best album). BATS left the chaotic thrashing behind and became a full-fledged death metal creation in a way that AoM cannot be considered.

ok how about this opinion...
there hasn't been any important or worthwhile developments in metal since the second wave of black metal... while there have been good bands and albums since then the genre as a whole has been sucking ass... look at the styles that have become popular since then... tech death, brutal death, metalcore, etc. all bullshit

Well said, I know this is ages old but I had to chip in. Metal was starting to come back for me when Dawn released Slaughtersun, and it became cool to do what I call Deathened Black Metal, but that was short-lived.

As for my opinion. . .
Unquestionable Presence > Piece of Time + Elements

But at least they have been consistent in releasing high quality metal. Could have done without Heretic. Alters through Covenant was primo, I agree, but the progression in Gateways shouldn't be overlooked or undervalued.

Covenant suffers from being nascently formulaic. It was, I think, their first experiment in seeing if they could just write a bunch of "Morbid Angel" riffs without really bothering to stitch them into great songs and still have success.

Altars... is a great album, but it's a total mishmash of death metal, speed metal and heavy metal elements all jammed together, and it only works because it's all held together with melodic duct tape and nightmare logic. Besides, Blessed are the Sick is their masterpiece, and that one's basically Altars of Madness with a more Deicide-like approach.

^
A ridiculous over-simplification of one of the greatest death metal albums ever. I never understood why people prefer Blessed Are the Sick.

^
A ridiculous over-simplification of one of the greatest death metal albums ever. I never understood why people prefer Blessed Are the Sick.

I would probably rank MA albums like this:

Blessed are the sick
Altars of madness
Covenant
Domination
Formulas fatal to the flesh

The F album and D album might change places. I havent really listened to heretic. I have loved what I heard of gateways but havent listened enough to it to rank it.

Overall though one of my favorite death metal bands. I like all of the albums I ranked + gateways.

I personally think Altars of Madness is better than Blessed Are the Sick, and a far more interesting listen.

With Blessed Are the Sick the band left behind a lot of the attitude, character and charm contained within their first album. Not to mention the production is a lot better on the debut. It sounds more organic and compliments the music nicely, the drums especially. On Blessed Are the Sick the production is too clean and the drums sound flat/clinical and uninteresting to listen to. And obviously, that's a shame when you've got Pete Sandoval for a drummer.

And I'm usually not one to complain bands using intros or interludes on albums but on Blessed Are the Sick they serve no purpose! The album's intro does not do anything to set up any kind of feeling or mood, nor is it anything interesting to begin with. That's also the case for the rest of them, save perhaps for "Desolate Ways" which isn't bad. I know the band was experimenting here but some of the stuff on the album just comes off as being uninspired.

The chaotic, unformulaic nature of Alters is what makes it so absolutely amazing. The album has so much energy and character, have had to put it on for the first time in a while after reading the last few posts of this thread.

B and C are both different in terms of style and approach, and I love them both as well for different reasons. A will always win for me though, I go through phases of thinking B is the best but always come back around.

I've said this a few times before, but the sound of the drums is pretty annoying on Blessed imo. Too clicky sounding.