Controversial opinions on metal

Post-80's Pantera aint bad. I think far too many people associate Pantera with the nu-metal bands that tried to copy Panteras sound, and failed. The crap bands of the 90's that tried to create something new out of something that already existed, created a style inspired by the complexity and progressivity of Pantera, lacking the talent to do so in an good way.

Now it's gone so far, that people who hear Pantera for the first time think to themselves "this sounds to nu-metal crap for me", not realizing tht Pantera did their thing very well in the early 90's, before nu-metal even existed.

Now go ahead and flame me. As a Pantera fan, I've grown used to it.

As a nu metal fan, I don't think that nu metal in general sounds anything like Pantera, although Disturbed does seem to be trying to imitate them

How the fuck does Disturbed try to imitate Pantera?

Also, Disturbed last two albums arent nu-metal and are actually pretty good.

I like everything Pantera did. I still think Cowboys from Hell is one of the best 90s albums ever made and has one of the best vocal performances ever.

I agree 100%. Pantera was in their prime when I was in junior high & high school so they are a band I grew up with. I guess I can understand why a lot of people don't like them, but I think those of us who were listening to them while their albums were being released appreciate them more.

How the fuck does Disturbed try to imitate Pantera?

Also, Disturbed last two albums arent nu-metal and are actually pretty good.

Draiman's stage presence is pretty clearly inspired by Anselmo's. He even shaved his head like him.

"David: I think that he's probably one of the more enigmatic frontman of our time. He's tremendously inspirational to vocalists throughout the genre including myself"
--David Draiman on Phil Anselmo

Also as you mentioned Disturbed's later albums veer away from nu metal, and to me they do sound somewhat inspired by groove metal.

I'm a fan of Lordi
I think except for some of their old stuff, Avenged Sevenfold is a great band
I think the new Burzum album, Fallen sucks (except for enver till sit)
I find Slayer overrated (I love Slayer, but I'm sick and tired of all these fanboys we have today)

-Angel of Retribution was great, Nostradamus however blew goat penises.
-Pantera from CFH and on was really good.
-Draiman sounds like a fucking baboon and I haven't heard even a single riff from a Disturbed album that sounds half-decent.

Nostradamus is one of the best heavy metal albums in the past 20 years. It requires a considerable investment and a heterosexual disposition, however, to fully appreciate.

lol.

Demolition is a varied, creative, and well-executed album and probably among the better half of Priest's discography.

Demolition is meh, Jugulator was better. Cathedral Spires, Death Row, Decapitate and Dead Meat can all stand up to Priest classics.

Demolition was creative and varied, perhaps a little to experimental for a band like Priest though.

The "experiments" (which I wouldn't call them) really aren't that outrageous. The quasi-rapping can be a bit silly but it's fairly limited, and there is the occasional Bad Idea™ like the whiny distorted vocal part of Feed On Me (which is 100% Priest anthem material otherwise), but as a whole it all flows very well. I think people hate it just because it has a 2000-contemporary production.

Nostradamus is one of the best heavy metal albums in the past 20 years. It requires a considerable investment and a heterosexual disposition, however, to fully appreciate.

I would actually argue that it is incredibly homosexual, to "appreciate" such a bland album.

TBH I found it to be dissapointing in the extreme. Judas Priest + Orchestra should be amazing! -Was not.

Controversial Opinion: DevilDriver is a decent band, esp. on their two latest releases.