Controversial opinions on metal

I find Katharsis to be extremely boring. Well, at least VVorldVVithoutEnd, which is the only album of theirs that I've heard.

Yeah i'd agree about Katharsis,they have an air of urgency about them.Urgent in their approach to BM,not keen to fuck around nor let their songs linger unnecessarily.I can't think of too many modern BM bands that have the same ethos.There are alot of bands that would do well to take a leaf outt've Katharis's book.

Close, but Inquisition are the kings to me right now, and I'd have to consider Faustcoven too.

Ahh, yeah Inquisition is good, and Faustcoven are good too

I find Katharsis to be extremely boring. Well, at least VVorldVVithoutEnd, which is the only album of theirs that I've heard.

I love that album, Ascent from Ghoulgotha is probably my favorite song of theirs, but I can see why you'd not like it.

Definitely think you'd like 666 and Kruzifixxion more

Framing Armageddon has a few decent songs.
Tim Owens isn't actually that bad a vocalist when he's not in the midst of ruining other people's bands.

I don't understand how anybody with good taste could not like Nostradamus. Although I haven't heard back from anybody with good taste as of yet in this thread. The fact that a band like Judas Priest even tackled such a project as this is impressive. "Death" is one of the best songs they've ever done, and many others are excellent as well, such as "Pestilence and Plague", "Persecution", "Alone", "Nostradamus", and "Future of Mankind". The only songs that are mediocre are "Lost Love" and "New Beginnings", both of which just so happen to be sentimental songs dealing with love that are integral to the conceptual basis of the album. If you're not listening to this album as a whole and appreciating the way the entire thing works together, with a mind toward the lyrics, and understanding what each song is actually about and why it is where it is, then you haven't given it a fair shot. Also, the keys and synths are extremely tastefully done and I refuse to entertain anything contrary to this notion. Don Airey has always been among the classiest and most tactful musicians associated with this element of heavy music, and it continues to hold true here. And no I'm not trolling. I would probably put this album in Judas Priest's top 5 albums.

I understand the concept, I just think it's a ham-handed attempt at trying to achieve a concept album. Also Don Airey is a great keyboardist, not gonna deny that, but it's a shame he's playing such pedestrian music on Nostradamus.

Katharsis is the best modern BM act

Katharsis are great, not slamming them or anything, but tbh I think Deathspell Omega and Burzum are putting out better music now.

Can't stand the vocals and the keyboards flooding the goddamn songs. Seems like a bunch of talented kids with awful ideas.

I don't normally like such music but I think Bodom is absolutely dandy. The saturation of keyboards is what makes it so great.

I like Fourth Reich slightly better than VVorld VVithout End.

Inquisition are great, but un-like Katharsis the vocals get old after a while.

As far as DsO goes they're great but Katharsis has this dirtier old atmosphere about them that DsO lacks.

Burzum don't do much for me.

I can never have too much of a problem with Bodom, Hatebreeder was the first real "death" metal (or anything that was heavy as fuck with growls/screaming) that I was exposed to, I think I got it for my 13th birthday, I listened to it SO much it was insane, and I was always a huge fan ever since. Although there sound has changed a lot, and the older albums are better, they're still pretty badass, give good shows and are always an indelible influence on me...I actually have the alexi signature guitar :lol: sits in the closet a lot though

Deathspell Omega is putting out shit music and has since SMRC.

Burzum I think can have a case made, but I like most of what Katharsis has done more than Belus and Fallen only slightly more than what they've been doing.

I've decided that I have no business trying to "objectively" evaluate DsO. There's too much hype around that band; I always feel more comfortable in my judgments when hype over a band has died down. This is one reason why I never do year-end top 10 lists. Maybe at some point when there is less talk about DsO I'll be able to approach them without prejudice.

My reaction to SMRC has always been 'meh.' But lots of people tell me that this album is genius. I'm not comfortable saying who I think is correct on this one. As far as their later stuff goes, a lot of people tend to act like it's the epitome of intelligent extreme metal. There's a distinction to be made between intelligence and self-aware intellectualism. I honestly don't know whether DsO really possesses the former quality in addition to the latter. They're discordant and "weird" and whatnot, and they have Latin titles, but that doesn't automatically equate to intelligent, enlightened, or good. And I don't really have the patience to dig into their concept to see if it's worth anything to me. There's too much other stuff that I already know I like.

DSO has received alot of hype I have to agree on that point but that's not a bad thing. What their music has become is really something I have to marvel at considering that they've kind of developed their own sound. Bands like DSO are what keep me listening to black metal.