Controversial opinions on metal

Controversial Opinion: DevilDriver is a decent band, esp. on their two latest releases.

Haven't heard Beast, but Pray for Villains was disappointing. The first three albums are their best ones IMO

Nostradamus is one of the best heavy metal albums in the past 20 years. It requires a considerable investment and a heterosexual disposition, however, to fully appreciate.

trollface.jpg

I don't understand how anybody with good taste could not like Nostradamus. Although I haven't heard back from anybody with good taste as of yet in this thread. The fact that a band like Judas Priest even tackled such a project as this is impressive. "Death" is one of the best songs they've ever done, and many others are excellent as well, such as "Pestilence and Plague", "Persecution", "Alone", "Nostradamus", and "Future of Mankind". The only songs that are mediocre are "Lost Love" and "New Beginnings", both of which just so happen to be sentimental songs dealing with love that are integral to the conceptual basis of the album. If you're not listening to this album as a whole and appreciating the way the entire thing works together, with a mind toward the lyrics, and understanding what each song is actually about and why it is where it is, then you haven't given it a fair shot. Also, the keys and synths are extremely tastefully done and I refuse to entertain anything contrary to this notion. Don Airey has always been among the classiest and most tactful musicians associated with this element of heavy music, and it continues to hold true here. And no I'm not trolling. I would probably put this album in Judas Priest's top 5 albums.

I don't understand how anybody with good taste could not like Nostradamus. Although I haven't heard back from anybody with good taste as of yet in this thread.

There you go with the whole 'Taste is objective' viewpoint again. It's getting tiresome.

The fact that a band like Judas Priest even tackled such a project as this is impressive. "Death" is one of the best songs they've ever done, and many others are excellent as well, such as "Pestilence and Plague", "Persecution", "Alone", "Nostradamus", and "Future of Mankind". The only songs that are mediocre are "Lost Love" and "New Beginnings", both of which just so happen to be sentimental songs dealing with love that are integral to the conceptual basis of the album. If you're not listening to this album as a whole and appreciating the way the entire thing works together, with a mind toward the lyrics, and understanding what each song is actually about and why it is where it is, then you haven't given it a fair shot. Also, the keys and synths are extremely tastefully done and I refuse to entertain anything contrary to this notion. Don Airey has always been among the classiest and most tactful musicians associated with this element of heavy music, and it continues to hold true here. And no I'm not trolling. I would probably put this album in Judas Priest's top 5 albums.

I like Nostradamus, but I wouldn't put it anywhere close to the Top 5. I would say it's one of the worst albums they've done, but I like everything Priest did so there.

Anthrax sucks. Big time. Controversial or no?

That their supposed classic, Among the Living, is nearly their worst album makes them look worse than they really are. It and State of Euphoria are their only truly shitty albums. Otherwise they're just an average bandwagon act, aside from maybe Persistence of Time which actually showed them going in a serious, semi-progressive direction while still retaining the thrash riffage, and without just aping AJFA like Heathen and others did.

Define "started". Fistful of Metal is as derivative and uninspired as a January 1984 thrash debut could possibly be.

Anthrax is "alright". They're mediocre musically and lyrically, but they sound "happy", which makes them different enough to be worth listening to occasionally.