Controversial opinions on metal

Nothing beats a gigantic warm tortilla stuffed full of roasted eggplant, red pepper and mushrooms covered in cheese and creamy balsamic dressing.

failure_ the "mall" in "mallcore" represents a given band's popularity with suburban white teenage boys who have floppy haircuts.

What if they're black? Does that mean they are elite? :cool:

Nothing beats a gigantic warm tortilla stuffed full of roasted eggplant, red pepper and mushrooms covered in cheese and creamy balsamic dressing.

that sounds like a fantastic sandwich. thank you for making my day better with that detailed description.

sCradle of Filth is kinda like Norwegian Black Metal to me. It's not really what I see/think as being Black Metal, but it's black metal. Attention and controvery allows it too stick out like a sore thumb. There's more interest in because of persona/character. I think what draws people into it is not the music first and formost because it's not good/interesting.

I like CoF's earlier albums for the unabashed theatrical cheese factor. I'm not saying no one could ever replicate the sound, but I haven't found any other bands who have so successfully created the same atmosphere of total crushed-velvet vampire-goth immersion.

Vossyrus I'm not a huge salad dressing person either, I usually eat salads/sandwiches with a small amount of sesame oil instead of dressing, but that sandwich I described is best is an exception. Promise.

Dream Theater are all amazing musicians but most of their music is boring.
Not controversial.
A lot black metal friggin sucks in terms of musicianship and skill but it's still a genre i love.
Not controversial.
Opeth is both amazing and overrated.
1/2.
Tech Death is more talented than most other forms of metal.
In terms of raw technical skill, obviously. Otherwise, no. Not at all.
Deathcore is a form of metal. Yes it is a good one. Yes there are shit bands in it. Yes there are amazing bands in the genre as well.
Not controversial.
Breakdowns have their place in metal and are amazing live.
Agreed. But very infrequently.
Tim "Ripper" Owens is a better vocalist than Rob Halford how is is NOW, young Halford, no.
As far as his stuff with priest...no.
Early Cradle Of Filth is black metal. Saying Cradle Of Filth are a black metal band is a somewhat true statement as they once were.
Not controversial.
Dimmu Borgir can still be called a black metal band.
They still have strong black metal influences, I suppose.

I like CoF's earlier albums for the unabashed theatrical cheese factor. I'm not saying no one could ever replicate the sound, but I haven't found any other bands who have so successfully created the same atmosphere of total crushed-velvet vampire-goth immersion.

Are you a fan of (old) Theatres des Vampires? In my opinion, I think they are the only band to really hold a candle to Cradle of Filth in regards to this sort of music.

I wouldn't say they sound similar, but they arose simultaneously to Cradle of Filth and they shared some of the same elements. For as much as I love Cradle of Filth and their early albums, I would probably favour TdV's Bloody Lunatic Aslyum over anything in CoF's discography. Sure, they're even cheesier than Dani and the Filths, but how can one not love Lord Vampyr? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the people in that band had to have made an explicit agreement at some point to make the fruitiest music humanly possible. There's no other way to explain that stuff.

Fred Durst will stage dive into a mosh pit with a chainsaw, slaughter everyone and break saltine crackers into their wounds.

That's Metal - LIMP mother fuckin BIZKIT

Devin is an incredible vocalist, very diverse, but is incredibly on-off as a songwriter.

He has some absolutely AAA albums like Terria, Infinity, Biomech, etc. but his output as of late has been hoaky and absolutely awful (Ghost seems to be a proper good change in musical direction though and I am 100% excited for it.)

What the FUCK is wrong with vegetarian sandwiches?! Vegetables are food too you know.

Vossyrus I have heard of TdV but not given them much attention. Youtube is blocked at work but I am pretty goddamn titillated at the prospect of any music possibly being fruitier than "Carmilla's Masque."

Devin is an incredible vocalist, very diverse, but is incredibly on-off as a songwriter.

He has some absolutely AAA albums like Terria, Infinity, Biomech, etc. but his output as of late has been hoaky and absolutely awful (Ghost seems to be a proper good change in musical direction though and I am 100% excited for it.)

How about Ki? Even though its quite mellow I find it to be very mature (for him especially) and is composed of some really exceptional songs. Some of the other recent stuff like Synchestra, Ziltoid, and Addicted arent anything special and would really only be enjoyed by big fans.

As for his other shit, his quirkiness is really an acquired kinda of taste, yet I see why people can find it to be despicable. I find most of his solo work to be great and his sense of ambiance is first class. SYL however is a different story; the only album I really enjoy by them is Alien. City is pretty fucking overrated and boring and the others are rather generic.