Controversial opinions on metal

Agree 100%. Your an extremist. :)

Yep, love the later stuff for its progression, and just doing something different and still making it work. Of course someone is going to make redundent invalid arguments that different is bad. "I want 3 riff DM because I am a neanderthal."

Cattle Decapitation.....I will pass.

"this claim has been made a million times, but it needs to be repeated because it seems like it hasn't stuck yet"

It's not going to because it's incorrect. Cynic doesn't sound one bit like Symbolic or Sounds. The claim here is based on nothing more than which musicians he recuited, but see as they didn't write the songs, I loathe false correlations.

If anything at all those Cynic demos, which arent progressive at all, don't have jazz inject in them. And sound more like NYDM fused with what was going on in flordia.

It's not going to because it's incorrect. Cynic doesn't sound one bit like Symbolic or Sounds. The claim here is based on nothing more than which musicians he recuited, but see as they didn't write the songs, I loathe false correlations.

If anything at all those Cynic demos, which arent progressive at all, don't have jazz inject in them. And sound more like NYDM fused with what was going on in flordia.

plz define NYDM, because...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkCUcE0edk0&feature=related[/ame]

...sounds infinitely closer to 90's Death than what I associate with that state's death metal output.

man, if you think what Death did in the 90's is a watered down version of Cynic's demo's from the 80's either you've been smoking smoke crack or you're just plain mentally handicapped.

lol at any of your tards thinking Death played technical thrash.

lol, well I won't go past saying it's wrong, but at the time it was techy, now not as much just a few songs here and there could be considered such. I would say stuff like Flesh and the power it holds, secret face and Misanthrope would come to mind. Songs like "The Philosopher" are pretty simple. However it's just NOT thrash, and early Atheist etc was.

But no, they sound nothing a like because they're not.

This has to be the most redundant argument this poor thread has seen -- so it's time for a new controversial opinion.

The majority of Mortuary Drape's songs are bollocks.

agreed, but i wouldn't consider anything from Death technical thrash ... and i wouldn't say early Atheist is thrash either.

I think the only song that points to thrash as far as Atheist goes is "On they Slay" if I remember right.

Where as this......

http://youtu.be/Yg2sBq84v1M

has thrash style riffs you can find in songs like

Agent Steel's Infinity
All over Artillery's By Inheritence
Annihilator's first 2 albums, although more complex
And Exodus' Bonded by Blood.

"I want 3 riff DM because I am a neanderthal."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QFqWTB8lo0&feature=related[/ame]

Funny, considering what my favorite two DM albums are...

Fucking hate Death fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its okay, being disliked by someone from Pittsburgh actually makes me feel good about myself. Shit town, shit people, fan of a shit band, no surprise.

Okay, let me concede a little bit to you: The main album that I think does the watered-down Cynic thing is Human. The albums after that were sort of in this vein, but not as much as Human. What started happening with the later albums was that Chuck started introducing more melodic traditional heavy metal influences. But those ideas that Cynic were playing around with on their demos are still there in the last three Death albums, albeit in a simpler form. And I can't see how it's not incredibly obvious that Human is a simpler, heavier take on the style of the Cynic demos. And if we want to talk about intricate death metal with a strong foundation in traditional heavy metal, The Chasm does exactly that (though of course they have obvious second-wave black metal influences, which Death never had), and I think The Chasm's take on this style is more sophisticated (especially on their last album; I can't stress this enough.)

I'm not saying Death are bad. I actually like Human despite what I've said about it. I think it's a good album. The last three albums I do not care for very much (TSOP especially seemed to have some pretty clumsy songwriting the last time I listened to it), but there are great ideas scattered throughout all of those albums.

That strikes me as a very odd thing to say. See HamburgerBoy

Used to love them, but as I dove deeper into death metal I just began to really dislike them. SBG is solid, but unspectacular. Leprosy is boring. Spiritual Healing is an absolute mess. Human is just Cynic demos gone bad. Individual Thought Patterns somehow manages to be even worse than Human. Symbolic is songwriting failure at its absolute finest. And of course The Sound of Perseverance is just god fucking awful in every single way.

As far as The Chasm goes, Deathcult - Conjuration - Farseeing are three of the best albums in metal. Everything else they've released has at least been good to great.

You suck and the only reason you don't like Death is because Chuck is of Jewish descent. Die.