Controversial opinions on metal

Isn't it obvious that Human would be in the realm of Cynic because of Reinert/Masvidal? And although everything was written by Chuck, those two, and the whole scene must have been an indelible influence on his writing. Human is an album I have actually barely listened to surprisingly....I think i'm going to take it for a spin

Someone should popularize usage of the term "first wave death metal" in the same context of its black metal analogue.

Just listened to the first two Death albums, and I'd say they're more thrash than actual death metal. Not bad at all though.

wat? Those are two of the greatest old school death metal albums ever .... those two along with Morbid Angel's Chapel of Ghouls basically defined Death metal the time ... and i know some people are going to want to bring up Possessed(who were a bit thrashy), but those guys were fucking bums, horrible band.

Someone should popularize usage of the term "first wave death metal" in the same context of its black metal analogue.

Don't get butthurt about it, faggot./dermorgenstern

are you trying to imply that Seven Churches(only album from them thats even worth listening to) is as good of an album as Leprosy? ... or even Scream Bloody Gore?

Seven Churches alone is worth more than Death's entire discography. One of the best death metal albums of all time, and for some reason largely forgotten amongst newer/younger fans of the genre. And for that matter, their entire discography is good. Sometimes I simply can't rationalize the way some of you people think. :erk:

I don't see any butthurt in my post. I'm just saying that people like to argue about whether Possessed, Death, Atheist, Pestilence, etc being old school death metal vs death/thrash or whatever, but no one can come to a consensus, which is easily reached with early Sodom, Bathory, etc.

I don't see any butthurt in my post. I'm just saying that people like to argue about whether Possessed, Death, Atheist, Pestilence, etc being old school death metal vs death/thrash or whatever, but no one can come to a consensus, which is easily reached with early Sodom, Bathory, etc.

I was making a joke, alluding to Der Morgenstern saying what I said to you after I said that the words "clone" and "worship" should be abolished because they're overused or not used properly so often.

Seven Churches alone is worth more than Death's entire discography. One of the best death metal albums of all time, and for some reason largely forgotten amongst newer/younger fans of the genre. And for that matter, their entire discography is good. Sometimes I simply can't rationalize the way some of you people think. :erk:

Seven Churches is a great album in it's own right, but it doesn't compare with Death's discography. I reckon Massacre - From Beyond & Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness are the 2 best OSDM albums.

What death metal discographies of decent size (say, more than 4 full-lengths) would you guys say are the "best"? I've come to realize that Death is the only one under that parameter that I actually own the full discography of. It seems like on average that death metal bands are generally of far greater consistency than other metal sub-genres, but redundancy is a common problem. In general I'd rather just pick out the few of highest esteem and ignore the rest. Death fanboys, is this in any form the cause of your infatuation for Schuldiner & Co.?

What death metal discographies of decent size (say, more than 4 full-lengths) would you guys say are the "best"?

Bolt Thrower definitely... I'll get crap for it, but Cannibal Corpse too. I would put Vital Remains on this list, but Dechristanize and Icons of Evil are abysmal compared to the first 4.

I am scared of the epic battle that is taking place between Krow the Dark Raven and The Nights Bane.

What will happen when two such colossal forces collide? :(

other than the ones already mentioned ... Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Suffocation, Dismember and Autopsy(minus Shitfun) have pretty strong discographies too .... i dont think Gorguts has a single weak album, one of the only bands whose full catalogue gets a 10/10 from me.

It's just that Deathcore and Techdeath hasn't showed any potentiality at all, mostly because it's just a gay offshoot of genres that are clearly meant to be manly - completely going against the meaning of the whole thing. It's like a misunderstanding of what metal is supposed to be.