Controversial opinions on metal

In my opinion Immolation is the only long time death metal band that has released great albums from start to now. I know a lot of people would say the same thing about The Chasm, but I think they've had more ups and downs, even if their downs have never been that deep.

Despite me listing them, Immolation has been on a really bad streak lately. Harnessing Ruin onward is awful.

Honestly I don't think any death metal band with 4+ albums has been entirely consistent to the point that everything is essential. Incantation and The Chasm are the closest, with none of their material really being bad, but I would only consider 3 albums from each band to be essential. Immolation is pretty consistent but, firstly, I agree with Mort about their newer material, and, secondly, I just don't listen to even their best material that much. Same with Bolt Thrower; they're consistent but who really cares that much..

Actually Onder, outside of here they are pretty underrated. :p Underrated, and sometimes even unknown.

As someone who who used to read (paper) zines in the late 80's and 1990's, I must say that you are incorrect, at least partially. Perhaps death metal fans under the age of 20 have never heard of Bolt Thrower, but they are one of the most well-known and respected bands in the genre.

I've seen only two people that displayed knowledge of lesser known death or black metal in my existence in real life, and one of them posts here regularly.

As someone who who used to read (paper) zines in the late 80's and 1990's, I must say that you are incorrect, at least partially. Perhaps death metal fans under the age of 20 have never heard of Bolt Thrower, but they are one of the most well-known and respected bands in the genre.

I was talking about online, and it is true, most other metal forums have tons of people who've never heard of Bolt Thrower, sadly.

I've seen only two people that displayed knowledge of lesser known death or black metal in my existence in real life, and one of them posts here regularly.

Same situation, basically the only person I talk metal with is my best friend, and he got into because of me so it's usually just me giving him new stuff. But it's not limited to metal, I can't hold a conversation with anyone about other musical styles i like (jazz, classical etc.). Well actually I talk to my band teacher, but that's about it