Controversial opinions on metal

Speaking of Avenged Sevenfold (who are horrible), the new In Flames album reminds me of them.
@ Onder: I like bands that have a chaotic sound, it's the reason why I've taken a liking to Mitochondrion. The problem with Lykathea Aflame, Elvenfris in particular, is that they sound more confused than chaotic.
As for controversy, I'm going to go ahead and say that Shining is the only DSBM worth listening to.

Shining is very hit or miss for me, their older stuff had some decent songs, some bad songs, some godawful songs, same with their newew stuff, but both for different reasons.

Abyssic Hate is awesome, I gotta bump that some more.

I refuse to call Nyktalgia depressive suicidal black metal because I actually enjoy them. I also don't find their sound to be particularly depressive (this is based solely on the second album, however).

Abyssic Hate rules. Also Forgotten Woods, Mütiilation and ofcourse Strid are all awsome but I have a hard time calling them "DSBM" (it just sounds so stupid). Just black metal that happens to be depressive works for me. :p

Abyssic Hate rules. Also Forgotten Woods, Mütiilation and ofcourse Strid are all awsome but I have a hard time calling them "DSBM" (it just sounds so stupid). Just black metal that happens to be depressive works for me. :p

Agreed. Strid is definitely not DSBM in my book. I always group them together with their Norwegian contemporaries, where I think they belong.

Forgotten Woods, Strid, and Mütiilation are all excellent bands, and I agree that the "DSBM" label really doesn't fit them despite their obviously influencing bands that would later adopt that tag.

By the way, if anybody in the US is still looking for the Mütiilation reissues, there's a distro I've just been directed to called Ominous Domain that currently has all of the first 3 albums that Dark Adversary reissued over the past couple years, although he only has one in stock each of Vampires... and Black Millennium... (he has 7 of Remains, which I just purchased from him, and received it in 2 days). From all reports, a very reliable distro and one I'll definitely order from again. Their focus is heavily black metal, by the way.

My discovery that Protest the Hero wasn't a deathcore band a few months back has led me to getting their newest album, and on its contents I've come to the conclusion that they are in fact a better prog-thrash revival act than anything the retro bands have summoned, Vektor included. The Realm worship is so plentiful on this album, and so awesome. It's like an entire album made out of Realm's Scream Bloody Murder with some Mars Volta-esque sing-a-long bridges and occasional modern chuggery bit. I can not comprehend how people can call this a metalcore album. Total 80's/early 90's-throwback melodic tech-thrash.

My discovery that Protest the Hero wasn't a deathcore band a few months back has led me to getting their newest album, and on its contents I've come to the conclusion that they are in fact a better prog-thrash revival act than anything the retro bands have summoned, Vektor included.

You have lost your mind.

My discovery that Protest the Hero wasn't a deathcore band a few months back has led me to getting their newest album, and on its contents I've come to the conclusion that they are in fact a better prog-thrash revival act than anything the retro bands have summoned, Vektor included. The Realm worship is so plentiful on this album, and so awesome. It's like an entire album made out of Realm's Scream Bloody Murder with some Mars Volta-esque sing-a-long bridges and occasional modern chuggery bit. I can not comprehend how people can call this a metalcore album. Total 80's/early 90's-throwback melodic tech-thrash.

:|

Shining is very hit or miss for me, their older stuff had some decent songs, some bad songs, some godawful songs, same with their newew stuff, but both for different reasons.

I've listened to Halmstad quite a bit, and I agree that it's very hit and miss. Shining's ceiling is very high, but even in one single song the music can go from amazing to horrible. I don't know if Kvarforth writes everything, but I tend to get the feeling that the music is written by several people, and perhaps therefore it varies so much in quality.

Vektor's vocalist alone is better than every member of PTH.

He's definitely a highlight of his band. I'm not saying that Vektor is remotely bad, but Black Future isn't entirely consistent, with some songs that sound like early Obliveon outtakes and others relatively simplistic speed/thrash with the occasional Voivod moment thrown on top. Scurrilous is a highly focused on the goodness that is tech/prog-y power/thrash. I mean, just listen to this...

If that isn't an orgasmic modern day lovechild of 80's thrash and power metal I don't know what is. Copious high-pitched vocals, rapid speed metal riffing embellished with quick melodic runs... I mean, at 1:40 it almost goes into Motorbreath mode. I've never heard something so similar in spirit to Realm before. This is so much better than that Hexen band TheNightsBane jerks off to.

EDIT: Admittedly, that is one of the most blatantly progressive power/thrash songs on the album. If you look for comments made by people that have always loved the band, they typically put it and the other utterly-thrash songs at the bottom, and the songs that retain some "metalcore" at the top. But as a whole the album blew me away, I was not expecting anything so great.

Last edited by a moderator: