Controversial opinions on metal

What would you call that? I could accept simply "progressive metal", but the whole metalcore-fear makes no sense to me.

For the record I don't mind PTH and actually think they're an alright band but I just don't think they have anything on a band like Vektor. They're both two separate genres and aren't comparable for that matter.

Ignore Protest the Hero "as a band". I'm talking about that single album, and it's more an homage to the heyday of 80's prog/thrash than anything the actual "retro thrash" wave has produced. Black Future takes from a different side of it, but otherwise they're the only two albums reviving the style that I know of, and I feel doubly a need to compare them due to the eternal fap-fest that Vektor receives.

That song that HamburgerBoy just posted doesn't sound too bad to my ears, actually. I really liked the first part of it (before the 1 minute mark). I'm really tired of all the canned opinions on metal forums.

Queensryche's early material is severely underrated and The Warning is the best progressive metal album of all time

Not really that controversial, although The Warning is pretty light on the prog. The first five Queensryche albums (and S/T EP) are pretty much perfect.

I've started to prefer their debut ep over The Warning, but I'm still a big fan of the latter. It's just that the ep kicks more ass on a more primal, visceral level, although I guess the style they were going for then may have been a little less original than what you find on The Warning. As far as early prog metal (maybe proto-prog metal, if you'd prefer that term), my favorite is Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian. Nothing beats that one for me.

I still need to pick up their EP. I had Rage for Order at one point, but I didn't like it as much as the 1st/3rd albums so I sold it. I need to invest in RfO, the EP and Empire here soon

Empire has a lot of catchy songs on it, but it's poppier than earlier albums. I can still listen to it just fine. I just respect their earlier material more.

Promised Land is their best, near-abandonment-of-metal be damned.

What would you consider The Warning then? I was going to say heavy/power at first..

Not to say it isn't progressive, especially for its time, but it's kind of like calling Bathory's S/T the best black metal album of all time. Some of the elements were clearly there, and it obviously influenced a lot judging by the many (semi-)clones it inspired, but in the context of "progressive metal" I wouldn't call it the best.

I still need to pick up their EP. I had Rage for Order at one point, but I didn't like it as much as the 1st/3rd albums so I sold it. I need to invest in RfO, the EP and Empire here soon

Rage for Order took the longest to grow on me, but I think it's pretty much excellent now. In some ways it's kind of poppy itself like Empire, but the keyboards and occasional use of electronic drumpads give it a really cold and kind of dark atmosphere to it. Songs like Neue Regel and London don't really sound like anything done in metal prior to its release.

- Megadeth's Rust in Peace blows away every Metallica album.
- Necrophagist's "music" is just mindless wankery.