Controversial opinions on metal

A first-time listener would get the impression they were a serious band. Bal-Sagoth, on the other hand, is hard to take seriously the first time you hear them.

Explain... are you calling Rhapsody or Bal-Sagoth DnD nerds? 'cos Bal-Sagoth is based largely on Lovecraft and Howard, and as such is too epic for the human mind to safely comprehend, while Rhapsody... I'd have to agree with that assessment.

I mean, FFS...
32_photo.jpg

:zombie:

We can all agree that Rhapsody is the cheesiest band ever. But that doesn't change the fact that Symphony of Enchanted Lands is a great album.

We can all agree that Rhapsody is the cheesiest band ever. But that doesn't change the fact that Symphony of Enchanted Lands is a great album.
I dunno, they have some serious competition from Battlelore and Manowar.

The only way I can see any metalhead not liking Slayer is if they like exclusively black or death metal or they don't like anything heavier than Metallica.

I disagree, considering that I have musical tastes on both sides of Slayer's position on the heaviness continuum (Zyklon is about as heavy as I get). Slayer is just a sloppy, amateurish thrash band with unmemorable riffs, shitty vocals, one-dimensional songwriting (no real tempo changes, extended instrumental breaks, or musical development), piss-poor guitar solos, and a bogus "Satanic" image designed to offend the parental units and sell records.

Anyway, to contribute another controversial opinion:
The majority of metal bassists suck ass and do nothing for the bands that employ them.

EXCEPT YOU KNOW, PROVIDE THE LOW END...goddamn.

In the vast majority of modern death metal I can tell almost zero difference when you remove a bassist from the equation, particularly in brutal death. Distortion and downtuning have gotten to the point where having a bassist is pretty irrelevant unless you're making a genuine effort to have him heard and actually do something. A local brutal death metal band that's normally a five-piece was without their bassist and second guitarist for a show, and I could NOT TELL AT ALL that the sound was different.

Slayer is just a sloppy, amateurish thrash band with unmemorable riffs, shitty vocals, one-dimensional songwriting (no real tempo changes, extended instrumental breaks, or musical development), piss-poor guitar solos, and a bogus "Satanic" image designed to offend the parental units and sell records.

:lol: this is such a joke that i'll simply leave it at that

WW: You fail at metal.

no shit... anyone calling slayer "sloppy" is an idiot... true a good deal of their solos are choatic and frankly tuneless but that's the point... it supposed to provide some anarchy when compared to the very tightly constructed songs

Damn, I always thought they embody the everlasting striving of the tortured human soul to transcend the barriers of men, rise above the mundane world and rain apocalyptic terror upon the Earth, culminating in a spectacular supernova of orgasmic frenzy and delight. Just for kicks.
Pseudo-intellectual hodge-podge ftw.:kickass: