Controversial opinions on metal

Clearly you fellas haven't heard of Tonedeathmusic. There inspiring lyrics about raping and pillaging are truly inspiring. Oprah gave them a good review. But the controversy about whether they were playing music or just making loud random music with the purpose of angering the gods has yet to be resolved.

EXCEPT YOU KNOW, PROVIDE THE LOW END...goddamn.
The guitars already provide a sufficient low end in most heavy metal. The bassist needs to do something more than make low-pitched rumbling noises or play the root and get buried beneath the guitar. The bass actually works well in a similar capacity to the viola in a string quartet, by harmonizing against the other instruments.

I always thought that it was Satan screaming.
I always thought it was Kerry King hitting notes at random really fast because he can't write a decent solo to save his life, never mind play it consistently. I still think that's what it is.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? It's just too bad for you if I don't share your sacred cows. There were bands like Ulysses Siren that were infinitely better than Slayer, and didn't get a huge record deal and millions of sales. I mean, just listen to this:

http://www.myspace.com/ulyssessirensf

I've heard them. I don't really see your point. It's no secret that better bands are unheard of and the ones that get popular are sometimes not the best.

:lol: :lol: :lol: at Ulysses Siren being better than Slayer.

And :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at you thinking that you were bringing something new to the table. You're going to have to do better than Ulysses Siren.

Also I was mainly telling you (WW) to stop posting because of your retarded and ridiculous opinion on bass in metal. Grow a brain moran.

What, that bass should not just follow the guitars like a chained puppy? Why do you think Watchtower, Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden are reknowned for their bass playing? Because the bassists actually do something other than make low frequency noises. The guitars already provide a good low end with the riffs, the bass needs to break away from the riffs at least occasionally and add something rhythmically and harmonically to the music that the guitars do not. The bass in many metal bands is redundant--for instance, Arcturus' Constellation EP was recorded without bass guitar and the arrangements do not really sound significantly worse for it, compared to the versions on Aspera Hiems Symfonia.

IMO bass guitar is a benign necessity in most metal. If it wasn't there, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference, but when it is there, it's "hard to distinguish" unless you listen for it.

I've seen local bands with no bass player. With the amount of distortion they used, you couldn't really tell there was no bass just by the music. However, if you listen to something that has bass in it and then listen to the exact same piece of music with the bass removed, you can obviously tell you're missing an aspect of the music.

on the Slayer solo topic: Meh its just what I heard. It makes sense that they would be trying to mimick that. Apparently Trey Azagtoth from MA also did that.

Now that I say this all, im trying to recollect where I got this info in the first place.

Little known fact: Kerry King actually wrote most of Morbid Angels' early songs, and often switched with Trey on tours.

IMO bass guitar is a benign necessity in most metal. If it wasn't there, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference, but when it is there, it's "hard to distinguish" unless you listen for it.

While you can tell the difference if a lazy root player is taken out of a metal band, it really doesn't ruin the music in the same way it would if you muted David Eliefson out of Rust in Peace, Steve Harris out of Piece of Mind, Geezer Butler out of Heaven and Hell, or John Myung out of When Dream and Day Unite (unfortunately, John Myung's role in later Dream Theater efforts is greatly diminished). Most metal bassits squander the potential of their instruments by merely reinforcing the guitars instead of making their bass an integral component of the song itself. The ability for a good bassist to enhance a song by adding additional harmonies, contrasting rhythmically against drums or guitars, breaking up a repetitive or empty-sounding section with some melodic figures, etc. is immense.

That's because bass is not used as a primary instrument in Metal. Bitch about it all you want, but that's just the fact of the matter. And frankly, a lot of bands with prominent bass playing just don't do it right and in fact hinder the power of the song. Exceptions to the rule (such as Steve Harris) only prove the rule: bass is a supporting instrument in Metal.

I would have to disagree with you on that, as I have yet to listen to a band where the bassist reduces the power of the music by being prominent. If your music lacks power, that means either the guitar tone, the riffs, or the drumming is deficient.