Controversial opinions on metal

First wave black metal doesn't all have clean vocals you know, ie Bathory and Sarcofago. And I'm sure Metal Church wouldn't mind the "conventional structure" one bit.

*facepalm*

Why do you facepalm just me and not the both of us when we are making basically the same claim? Granted, my statement taken most literally can be taken to be logically fallacious by implying that Mr. Spiderchrist implied that all metal that isn't black metal is preferred by him, when he could very well disfavor other sub-genres more. However, it should be obvious what I meant out of his post, and that I was just attempting to exercise brevity.

Not even close. Jazz elitists, classical elitists, and Music Theory fags are all far more elitist then anyone in the metal scene. It's awful.

Why do you facepalm just me and not the both of us when we are making basically the same claim? Granted, my statement taken most literally can be taken to be logically fallacious by implying that Mr. Spiderchrist implied that all metal that isn't black metal is preferred by him, when he could very well disfavor other sub-genres more. However, it should be obvious what I meant out of his post, and that I was just attempting to exercise brevity.

It's because you're a dum dum pooper head.

Not even close. Jazz elitists, classical elitists, and Music Theory fags are all far more elitist then anyone in the metal scene. It's awful.

I don't know about that. I took a jazz appreciation class for a multicultural elective and while the instructor and all of the guests (all members of the school's jazz ensemble) took massive shits on Kenny G, I don't think any of them said that he wasn't tr00ly jazz. Then look at people that think Europe, Disturbed, Protest the Hero, or whatever other hated band of the day aren't really metal.

I do enjoy black metal. I realize most of the bands like Venom, Sodom, Destruction, Celtic Frost, etc. lean on the Thrash Side, but are also considered first wave. So going by the genre they are often put in, I prefer 1st wave vs. 2nd wave. Not hating on any genre.

Not that I have a problem with first wave black metal, but it strikes me as an absolute bore compared to second wave bm. I really am not hearing what's supposed to be so terribly interesting about the first wave. It seems to me like there's barely anything going on there.

Not that I have a problem with first wave black metal, but it strikes me as an absolute bore compared to second wave bm. I really am not hearing what's supposed to be so terribly interesting about the first wave. It seems to me like there's barely anything going on there.

Some may find this boring, but at least its coherent..and not screeched horribly like some BM vocalists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love both the first and second waves, but only the second has that transcendent quality to it, IMO.

liturgy_INNERTRAY.jpg

Although I personally prefer the 1st wave stuff(besides a few albums 2nd wave stuff) I can see why Cythraul (iirc he said he's not much into thrash) and others prefer the 2nd wave stuff.

If there's a true form of black metal most of it comes from the 2nd wave imho. None from 1st wave.