Controversial opinions on metal

Any genre that lasts a considerable amount of time is going to go through some major changes throughout its lifetime. Hell, just listen to Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage and Fats Waller's Ain't Misbehavin'. Both are Jazz, but they're obviously very different.

So, basically, I think these "is this Metal?" debates are kind of dumb because genres in themselves are relative comparisons and what one thinks of a genre as is mainly dependent on what in the genre they listen to. A modern Metalhead would think Led Zeppelin is Rock and Decapitated is Metal while someone much older would think Led Zeppelin is Metal and Decapitated is well.... what the fuck.

WAIF, you got exactly what I was trying to say, and I agree. I mean, it seems to me that it took many years before another band equaled "Symptom Of The Universe" in heaviness, but still, heavy metal in the 70's had a very warm guitar tone with not a whole lot of distortion. Drum beats were pretty standard 4/4 waltz style until thrash metal gave us triplet and "skank" beats. Even clean vocals (I'm ignoring screams and growls because that's too obvious) changed a lot from the 70's to the 80's. I'm just wondering if at some point a distinction needs to be made. To use rock 'n' roll as an example, Little Richard was considered rock in the 1950's, but I doubt too many people would categorize his "piano riff WOOO" shit as rock these days.

The guitar tone was a matter of heavier-sounding distortion not really existing. Any of Judas Priest's faster and heavier songs (Call for the Priest, Dissident Aggressor, Exciter, Saints in Hell, etc) would be no less heavy with some modern tr00 hevy guitar tone. Unless it was downtuned and they changed the drumming to make it more syncopated and made the vocals a bit more harsh/screamy, at which point it would become groove metal and therefore not metal.

Zeppelin aren't metal even by the standards of their time period. They were always a hard rock band. Let's just get that fucking straight. They obviously had some influence on metal, but they weren't metal themselves.

Most old people I've met describe Led Zeppelin as Metal. I've even heard that the term existed before Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath did.

The guitar tone was a matter of heavier-sounding distortion not really existing. Any of Judas Priest's faster and heavier songs (Call for the Priest, Dissident Aggressor, Exciter, Saints in Hell, etc) would be no less heavy with some modern tr00 hevy guitar tone. Unless it was downtuned and they changed the drumming to make it more syncopated and made the vocals a bit more harsh/screamy, at which point it would become groove metal and therefore not metal.

I can understand not liking groove metal, but saying it's not metal? C'mon, mang! How many times do I have to say if something sucks that does not mean it suddenly becomes non-metal?

I can understand not liking groove metal, but saying it's not metal? C'mon, mang! How many times do I have to say if something sucks that does not mean it suddenly becomes non-metal?

I was being facetious by responding to your points on 70's metal's less-than-metal traits with ones that would obey yours but be construed as non-metal by some other fellow. A lot of what is considered groove metal is little more than slower thrash metal, and I don't even really consider it a valid sub-sub-genre unless it is used to describe bands that actually did skirt the line between heavy metal and a sort of groovy punk/post-hardcore, i.e. Helmet, Prong, etc.

Zeppelin aren't metal even by the standards of their time period. They were always a hard rock band. Let's just get that fucking straight. They obviously had some influence on metal, but they weren't metal themselves.

True, they're not a metal band.

Cobalt - Gin is amazing and I don't even really know how to classify it.

All Cobalt material is fucking great tbh. I consider them a black metal band.

Hell yeah it is; but I don't really think that's a controversial opinion. :cool:

I classify Man's Gin as AiC meets Tom Waits and Johnny Cash, so I guess, for me, Cobalt is just a heavier version of that.

I always think of both bands as "urban decay" music.

Gravesideservice Featuring Scott Conner from Xasthur
For fans of Sunn. My band is called GRAVESIDESERVICE and Scott Conner (Xasthur) as a favor has played some bass on some of our songs. We do not sound like Xasthur so dont expect any of what would be called DSBM. We have been around for almost 10 years and are now finally being recognized after many albums and no label. Come review our band at our facebook page. We figure if you like Scotts bass and guitar work on his other projects you may like to hear what he sounds like with GSS which once was a guitar-less BM band.
Here is some songs and links...Thanks for your time...
PS we need a label...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqcDT_R_KR8&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Graves...21901427867833
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI3P1vWlyt0&feature=relmfu

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ronald...11218005629571

i like all metal but my band seems to be a bit contraversial so enjoy/hate either way its metal :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFG9UE_KNvU

There's nothing really controversial about this at all.
People have hated on shitty bands long before you guys started playing.

:kickass: Great album. I call it black metal, but I can kinda see where people could get picky with it.
More of a southern feel with more "social?" lyrics.

Hell yeah it is; but I don't really think that's a controversial opinion. :cool:

I classify Man's Gin as AiC meets Tom Waits and Johnny Cash, so I guess, for me, Cobalt is just a heavier version of that.

I always think of both bands as "urban decay" music.

Is "Man's Gin" a previous incarnation of the same band or just a similar band? Too lazy to google.

It's Erik Wunder's folk side project. They only have one album, Smiling Dogs, but it's fantastic stuff. Similar to Cobalt in a lot of ways, and they've even performed Cobalt songs live under the Man's Gin moniker.

So.... apparently dani filth's cat screech vocals are the only thing that have turned me away from CoF, I'm youtubeing evermore darkly and I'm extremely satisfied with what I'm hearing. Does anyone know when he stopped that wretched screech?

I personally like Dani's vocals on the first album when they were incredibly raw and just plain ugly. After that he did more of a high pitch screech, and towards the end of the 90s he began to enunciate a lot more losing a bit of that along the way.

I think Damnation and a Day was another turning point and on Nymphetamine in paticular, Dani really toned it down and went with a rougher but slower and more accessible approach but I think it suited the music well enough. On Thornography he introduced more of a squeal which I wasn't too fond of but it's more accurate to what he's been doing live in recent years. He sounded a bit better and more aggressive on the last two albums but the last few years he has been rather dry lyrically so I can't say I've been that interested.

If you're turned off by Dani's high pitched screams, Nymphetamine is probably the way to go but all of the band's previous releases (minus Bitter Suites to Succubi) are better. I think the last album and recent EP are the band's worst of their career.

I rather find Danny's Donald Duck vocals rather funny/enjoyable in a way. Love em or hate them, it's what made CoF kind of unique earlier during their career. The albums which had no ridiculous vocals / over the the top wagnerian keyboards / rap / extra cheese were boring.