Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah, I'm a fan of most of those bands you listed Kafka, but the amount of garbage among the metalcore, deathcore, and "hardcore" is staggering.

Pig Destroyer were actually one of those bands that got me into extreme metal, and Prowler in the Yard is intense and great.

There's surely more good hardcore than grindcore, even if I only listen to less than 20 releases of each genre these days.

Sodom is pretty hit and miss for me, but when it's good it's great. Kreator has yet to really "grab" me. Exodus is whatever.

The underappreciated gem that is Invocator - Weave the Apocalypse is getting a ton of play from me lately.

Thrash in general is pretty fucking boring.

The only way I can stomach it is if its mixed with another style of metal...For exmaple, bands like Aura Noir, Morbid Saint, Ripping Corpse, Ares Kingdom, Sodom etc.

The big four was/is about popularity, not quality. So the big four shouldn't be anything other than what it already is. They are the big four because they were the four most popular thrash metal bands through its heyday.

This post should be auto-posted every time someone mentions who 'should have been' in the big four.

THIS +10000000.

The only way I can stomach it is if its mixed with another style of metal...For exmaple, bands like Aura Noir, Morbid Saint, Ripping Corpse, Ares Kingdom, Sodom etc.

No. There are good thrash bands. Slayer, Vio-lence, Coroner, Mekong Delta etc.

So hilarious when so called "true metalheads" always say that the big 4 are shit and all the underground bands are the "best" even though most bands people list are usually boring, mediocre etc..

No. There are good thrash bands. Slayer, Vio-lence, Coroner, Mekong Delta etc.
If coroner didn't have complete shit production on every single album they've put out, they might of been listenable. Seriously I have to listen through high quality headphones (NOT earphones) to hear any of the vocals in their songs... Nothing is more brutal than that huh?

If coroner didn't have complete shit production on every single album they've put out, they might of been listenable. Seriously I have to listen trough high quality headphones (NOT earphones) to hear any of the vocals in their songs... Nothing is more brutal than that huh?

Ok I don't get the subliminal level of this discussion or something.

wtf

Every time I go to a metallica/megadeth video there will be people saying shit like, omg this is so fucking mainstream! All these catchy riffs are so stupid! They need to be like "insert crappy thrash band here"

Ok well I'm not familiar with those things.

Yeah, I agree. The only Thrash bands I like are Megadeth, Kreator, Slayer, Dark Angel, early Metallica, and Overkill.
However Thrash does blend well with Death Metal like you said. Early Death and Autopsy are pretty Thrash influenced and Altars Of Madness has a little Thrash as well.
Edit: Sepultura as well.

Vanilla thrash can be some of the most boring metal possible, but even the slightest non-thrash addition, whether power, death, prog, or black, can go a long way.

If coroner didn't have complete shit production on every single album they've put out, they might of been listenable. Seriously I have to listen through high quality headphones (NOT earphones) to hear any of the vocals in their songs... Nothing is more brutal than that huh?

Mental Vortex has a very clean production, and No More Color is far from bad. The first two do suffer from the production, though. :(

I really liked that album at first but discovering more death/thrash, it made me realize that it wasn't (nor were they ever beyond their earliest material) all that amazingly br00tal. It's solid but whatever, still made out of boring riffs and nothing special in 1992. M-16 is the only Sodom full-length I really enjoy from start to finish.