Controversial opinions on metal

Disturbed isn't that bad. I think they have at least a few songs I'd call good, even if they lack diversity or originality.

I'd like to hear good minimalist lo-fi indie pop to prove SomeGuyDude's point, however.

EDIT: Thought you said radio rock, not radio pop, my bad.

^ Never got into Anthrax, the vocals sound awful to me. I'd rather listen to any other thrash band, you name it.
Well I guess I can understand if you dislike the vocals, I love 'em personally. But fair enough.

...It's the fact that their most identifiable and popular album is also nearly their worst that makes them such an easy target.

Slammer. Re-Animator. Acid Reign. Probably any other light American-style UK thrash band.
*shrug* I disagree. I think the only weakness of ATL is that it's too long and has too little variety. Taken on their own, all the songs are great, imo.

The other bands you mentioned however, are all good too, I just don't think they hold a candle to the first 4 albums with Belladonna.

I hope you don't mean Among The Living.

Absolutely. Along with State of Euphoria, it epitomizes middle-of-the-road to a massive fault. There are a lot of generic thrash bands out there, but most of them have at least the smallest something going for them. Among the Living is average or below-average in every aspect, whether that be speed, aggression, melody, flash, ambition, experimentation, message, or anything else. Some songs are probably decent on their own but as an album it really really drags.

Absolutely. Along with State of Euphoria, it epitomizes middle-of-the-road to a massive fault. There are a lot of generic thrash bands out there, but most of them have at least the smallest something going for them. Among the Living is average or below-average in every aspect, whether that be speed, aggression, melody, flash, ambition, experimentation, message, or anything else. Some songs are probably decent on their own but as an album it really really drags.

Son I am disappoint. I would totally give that description to State of Euphoria but Among the Living is solid as fuck and full of catchy, well written tunes.

State of Euphoria is basically Among the Living v2, so I can agree that it's worse (although Finale is a decent song).

Deathamphetamine isn't that bad, but there's a bit of riff recycling and it started their descent into Iron Maiden-level overlength. IIRC, Karma's Messenger and Going Going Gone were the only songs I really liked from that one. Anyone that listens to that song and thinks that it is any more "lol tuff-guy groove metal" than other Zetrodus albums is probably retarded, however.