Controversial opinions on metal

I used to be obsessed with Meshuggah. Not so much anymore because there are a slew of other bands Id choose to listen over them...However, I still blast Choasphere and Destroy Erase Improve from time to time. Solid stuff.

On a more recent note, just gave Obzen a fair listen a few months ago. Awesome.

They're also to blame for the entire "djent" movement, since apparently some people listened to Obzen and Chaosphere and decided that time signatures were more fun to listen to than melody in riffs.

Except that most of the rest of the genre is full of bands that use shitloads of melody to make the music more commercially viable (which is why I can't get into it).

Meshuggah still rule but I haven't bought Koloss yet. I probably will at some point. The new Car Bomb album is creatively better than anything Meshuggah have done in a while.

It's just fucking bland. I can understand the whole weird time signature thing. Cynic does it better. The few grooves are mediocre at best, the vocals are no better than any modern day Headbanger's Ball with Jamie Jasta band, there is just nothing about them I like.

Holy shit someone thinks Death is overrated. So controversial. Death was a good death metal band, an important one even, but the best, no, the first, no.

Actually, they are one of the best(if not thee best) death metal bands of all time, and they arguabley were the first.

I dont want to post this shit up again, but their first material was released in 84 ...

.... that's 1984.

dont know why someone always goes out of their way in this thread to try and push that subject.

And on them being overrated, lol, their untouchable discography speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is that first song supposed to prove? It's basically trad/power. Their earliest material was obviously still extreme for the time, but the point is that there wasn't a "first". As for the songs that actually contain death/thrash metal riffs...

1983 bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, just go ahead and post some essential thrash ... sometimes you can be so fucking retarded that it amazes me.

but anyway, i think its pretty stupid always bringing up who was first in any genre. But saying Death isn't one of the first death metal bands is like saying Slayer or Metallica weren't one of the first thrash metal bands ... but hey, the facts must bother some people i guess.

I know that you are aware of that Slayer song. My point is that they were doing the early tremolo-picked death/thrash riffage before Death was, and that those Death songs are no more death metal than it.

What is that first song supposed to prove? It's basically trad/power. Their earliest material was obviously still extreme for the time, but the point is that there wasn't a "first". As for the songs that actually contain death/thrash metal riffs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSd4Rbag5I

1983 bitch.
Whatever your smoking, I want some... You must be tripping balls...

What portion of my post are you referring to? If it's the trad/power bit, just listen to that main riff and that triplet cymbal beat that pops up in so many USPM bands (see Iron Maiden's Genghis Khan for the earliest reference I can think of). Take away the silly vocals and you've got yourself a straight-up heavy metal song. If you disagree on the Slayer aspect, you're simply wrong.

What portion of my post are you referring to? If it's the trad/power bit, just listen to that main riff and that triplet cymbal beat that pops up in so many USPM bands (see Iron Maiden's Genghis Khan for the earliest reference I can think of). Take away the silly vocals and you've got yourself a straight-up heavy metal song. If you disagree on the Slayer aspect, you're simply wrong.
One riff in a song doesn't make it death metal... And are you actually saying shouted vocals are the same as growling?

Actually, they are one of the best(if not thee best) death metal bands of all time, and they arguabley were the first.

I dont want to post this shit up again, but their first material was released in 84 ...

.... that's 1984.

dont know why someone always goes out of their way in this thread to try and push that subject.

And on them being overrated, lol, their untouchable discography speaks for itself.

Agree 100000000000000000000%

Death was and is still unreal and one of if not the first death metal band. Sure some other bands may have played somewhat similar riffs before them... whatever. They're largely responsible for death metal as we know it. RIP Chuck!

One riff in a song doesn't make it death metal... And are you actually saying shouted vocals are the same as growling?

Are you talking about Fight Till Death now? I didn't call it a death metal song. I said it is no less death metal than what Death was doing in 1984. Are you saying that Chuck's vocals in 1984 resemble death growling at all?